How do you fine-tune?

Verence

• Members

I usually use a clip on tuner. When restringing, I challenge myself by trying to get each string in tune before clipping the tag end of the string. I can get pretty close by ear now (for some reason, I have the most trouble recognizing the B) in comparison to the tuner reading. Sometimes, I will double check with relative tuning on the 5th fret.

Since I play for my own pleasure (or frustration), this is close enough for me.

I do the same thing, and get very close (once was exact). I can tune all of the strings without fretting by listening to the beat frequencies between them (relative tuning) and do a "fair" job of getting close to 440 with just my ear.

• Members

The problem with tuneing snobs. :) Is it's too much work to get all the guitars together. Tune with the tuner, pass it to the next guy and you are set to go. I want to play not tune. In a bar full of drunk bikers they'll never know the difference and you won't either. :lol:

• Members

The problem with tuneing snobs.
:)
Is it's too much work to get all the guitars together. Tune with the tuner, pass it to the next guy and you are set to go. I want to play not tune. In a bar full of drunk bikers they'll never know the difference and you won't either.
:lol:

Wouldn't you expect each guitarist to have his/her own tuner? lol

You'd at least be able to play the same tune in harmony.

Tuning snobbery aside.......... A lot depends on whether you're playing to a crowd/audience, the type of audience, or if you're playing/recording in the studio. The very least you'd expect is that everyone in the group has his/her guitar intonated and in tune.

• Members

The problem with tuneing snobs.
:)
Is it's too much work to get all the guitars together. Tune with the tuner, pass it to the next guy and you are set to go. I want to play not tune. In a bar full of drunk bikers they'll never know the difference and you won't either.
:lol:

I never fine tune in a setting like that, the tuner is good enough. But sitting on the couch, when the instrument can be heard....

• Members

After I tune up (usually with a harp or to a song) I will play chords and make sure the chord sounds good. I tend to press harder on the strings when playing a chord vs just tuning so I will re-tune certain strings (usually high E and B) after hearing them in a chord (D chord is good for this). Since I play consistently (always press harder when forming chords) I just know now to tune the B a little flat then tune the E to the B and everything usually tunes up perfectly.

Bottom line, there is no perfect way, only the way that works best for you. You need to understand your habbits and style and adjust accordingly.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Okay, I think I've settled on a pretty good method for me.

I just split the difference between "Perfectly in tune at the 12th harmonic" and "Perfectly in tune at the fretted 12th fret". Seems to strike a good balance for whatever chord or barre I play. :thu:

• Members

maybe i missed it but i didnt read about tuning each string to 440 hz, i find that a good instrument will certainly sing and ring if the instrument is tuned to itself. i use a petersen strobe to tune each string to exactly 440hz wherever the 'A' note is on the fretboard. that way the overtones are certain to wail. seems to work for me.

• Members

maybe i missed it but i didnt read about tuning each string to 440 hz, i find that a good instrument will certainly sing and ring if the instrument is tuned to itself. i use a petersen strobe to tune each string to exactly 440hz wherever the 'A' note is on the fretboard. that way the overtones are certain to wail. seems to work for me.

That's interesting. I will have to check that out.

;)

Archived