WHAT IS YOUR DAY JOB?

austikins

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

im 16 looking for a real job but currently i am currently the neighborhood handyman & a babysitter ... the main family i babysit for is a family with four kids 6(boy),7(girl),8(boy) & 11 (boy)(i think those ages are correct) the 8 year old boy is autistic which poses a challenge they are all really fun kids though .

• Members
im 16 looking for a real job but currently i am currently the neighborhood handyman & a babysitter ... the main family i babysit for is a family with four kids 6(boy),7(girl),8(boy) & 11 (boy)(i think those ages are correct) the 8 year old boy is autistic which poses a challenge they are all really fun kids though .

That kind of experience will serve you well throughout your life, Brandon. :thu:

• Members

I'm a partner in a mid-sized commercial law firm in Portland, OR. It's a good, compartmentalized day job. Prior to that I earned my living in music - university teaching, National Endowment of the Arts performance grants, music store, recording studio, etc. My undergraduate degree is in classical guitar performance with minors in astronomy and anthropology.

Music is now a passionate hobby, all centering around solo fingerstyle acoustic and classical guitar. I plan to retire from the law gig in my later 50's and spend my time with music and other interests.

• Members

.....some churches cant afford a paid minister, and have volunteers, but most at least have a part time person.

Maybe you can find a volunteer position and in so, acquire some experience. I have always found that if people enjoy what you are doing, you too can succeed in making the position you are seeking. It's hard work, but if you really love doing it, its probably right for you. Good luck.

• Members

My last posting check was late. Hope it comes soon, I wanted to get a couple of Taylors with it this month....

I thought I read in the bi-laws that you had to have a minimum 3500 posts before the commission checks started. But here's an idea for making extra money:

Couldn't WE create the ULTIMATE online guitar help book, then we could open our own online guitar forum with reviews and sound clips and review the manufacturers new products and special addition models. Then we could get our own in house experts to show how guitars are tweeked for performance and even how they are made. Man, there's no end to this...We could offer lessons, and review creative new songs and give valuable support to inspiring new guitarists, and offer a place to post those songs for review, and then we could have a an exchange of ideas to improve everyones playing abilities and give helpfull responses to questions about theory and skillfull playing......

Hey, wait a minute, I thinks its been done, never mind.

• Members

I am a son of a son of a printer. Last one running the family printshop. In 2000 I moved it 180 miles north from New Jersey to upstate New York near Cooperstown. It's had a good run, but after 90 years I am closing the doors this fall for good. 1918 - 2008 R.I.P. Heading south and getting a day job, no more 7 days a week, I hope.:thu:

• Members

Maybe you can find a volunteer position and in so, acquire some experience. I have always found that if people enjoy what you are doing, you too can succeed in making the position you are seeking. It's hard work, but if you really love doing it, its probably right for you. Good luck.

i volunteer at my church now, so hopefully i can add it to a resume when i start looking for a ministry job again. one thing that is frustrating is that i have the desire and the skill to do the job, but i cant get hired anywhere. oh well, i guess its not the right time. waiting sucks...

• Members
I am a son of a son of a printer. Last one running the family printshop. In 2000 I moved it 180 miles north from New Jersey to upstate New York near Cooperstown. It's had a good run, but after 90 years I am closing the doors this fall for good. 1918 - 2008 R.I.P. Heading south and getting a day job, no more 7 days a week, I hope.
:thu:

It always saddens me to learn of family business' closing down - my own having been in existence since 1803 - but here's wishing you and yours the best of good fortune for the future and I hope you manage to get a decent five day week job. :thu:

• Members

I was a designer designing nuclear power plants for submarines and aircraft carriers. For a few years I was building guitars part-time but no longer do.
Presently, I am a retired bum on disability having had my bones fused together in my leg and my knee removed. I guess since I don't have much to do but hang around this forum I'm probably qualified to be a lawyer!:bor:

bigald18

• Members

Over 300 gigs a year is how I pay my bills, but during the day I teach and train MMA. I've been doing it for so long now, it's hard to stop. Just a hobby, but I'm good at it, so I keep going. Music is my passion though and will always come first.

• Members

Spent most of last 25 years at the 'canine / human interface' animal behaviour and control stuff, and developing and delivering child and community dog safety programmes.

Early retirement at 53 since last October. Miss the dogs and dog stuff :cool: . The people? Well; meh.

• Members

main job: full time forum troll

secondary job: transportation planner/modeller. we create and simulate the effects of landuse on traffic behaviour of almost all the big cities in Australia and New Zealand. i :love: it.

tertiary job: part-time masters student

hobby: playing guitar and trolling the forrummzz

favourite food: eggs mcmuffin

favourite colour: brunette

• Members

Holding Zero: "Man, the lawyer biz is thick around here. Does playing acoustic guitar cause that kind of thing? I could use a career change.

I'm a land surveyor in So Cal, but things are pretty slow around these parts these days."

Law school is a 3 year hassle. I'd look for something else before diving into that slop.

Land biz is booming in Texas. Maybe you could move to Texas? See how the civilized world lives.

• Members

I manage a self-storage facility. An independently owned one (of six) which makes things
much
nicer as opposed to working for one of those national chains. One of my guitars comes with me to work most every day (which is why I bought the Vox) and I'm usually outta here by noon on Fridays. I let my asst mgr take it from there until Monday morning. I usually get more practice time in at work than when I'm at home. A nice change after working in manufacturing for 16 years.

Hey I used to work in tha business. I was a maintenance manager for a while at a few self storage places. (means i swept the floors)

Are you the live in/couple type of managers?

If you are I am very sorry to hear that, I don't know how those people live at there job site. I would go crazy.

• Members

I wire high explosives up to the ice shelf above the arctic circle. Then we attach large chains from our ice cutter tugboats to the ice shelf. I detonate the explosives and break off the ice. Then our team of tugboats tows the giant iceberg to sub-sahara Africa. Once there we use a team of tractors to pull the icebergs into the savanna. There we let them melt. This is reforming the African terrain and soon it will be drought free.

It takes a while we make about 5 trips per year.

:D

• Members

Law school is a 3 year hassle. I'd look for something else before diving into that slop.

Land biz is booming in Texas. Maybe you could move to Texas? See how the civilized world lives.

Civilized world? I've been to Texas. Our car broke down outside of Toyah, Taxas, population; 12 people, 8 dogs, and more rattlesnakes then I could count. Spent two nights in the car waiting for a fuel pump to get delivered by Greyhound bus to some town 40 miles away, then the mechanic's son had to drive there to pick it up, (at least one of those 12 people was a mechanic)

I'd rather eat those Vietnamese burritos you posted pictures of a while back then move there.

Licensed Land Surveyors with a Law degree (or a lawyer with an LS license)can do very well just about anywhere. People tend to take their property lines and any disputes about them very seriously. As we should, it's our little piece of the world.

Archived