WHAT IS YOUR DAY JOB?

austikins

• Members

I am a court reporter.

I do not work in a courtroom, however. I take down deposition testimony, sworn statements, and the like, in a variety of venues ranging from law office conference rooms to doctor's offices.

My occupational hazards consist of boredom and butt fatigue.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Right now, I'm finance manager at a unit of Stanford's medical school. This is a big change for me - for the past 17 years I was involved in energy research in a number of capacities (including program manager, administrative management, R&D planning, and a bunch of other things.)

I've been in my current job for a year, but it looks like the old career path is calling me back. A large energy research program needs a manager, and I've been cajoled into applying, so I may be facing another change in a couple of weeks.

Oh, and in my spare time I'm referee coordinator for the local youth soccer league and referee liaison for the San Jose Earthquakes.

• Members

I am a court reporter.

I do not work in a courtroom, however. I take down deposition testimony, sworn statements, and the like, in a variety of venues ranging from law office conference rooms to doctor's offices.

My occupational hazards consist of boredom and butt fatigue.

That's what my wife does, Sami. Up here in the Raleigh and surrounding areas. I don't think she'd enjoy it as much if she worked in the court system. Although, some personal difficulties have necessitated she cut back her work load and may even give it up altogether......the jury is still out on that.

Very interesting to say the least. She's a voice writer using voice recognition software (ProCat) and when I was out of work last year I worked as her scopist for a while.

You definitely hear some "interesting" tesimony in those depositions; don't you?

• Members

Originally a Network Engineer specializing in infrastructure, I "Semi-retired" to work even harder as a freelance e-commerce developer / payment systems integrator and I dabble in various Internet marketing ventures.

Taking note of this thread: There are some impressive titles in here, quite an interesting read.

• Members

Man of international mystery...

Actually, I am on my third (4th?) career. I started as aerospace engineering for various military programs (stealth Bomber, Cruise Missile, B1B) and went into Manufacturing plant management after the Aerospace industry went bust in the early 90s. Stayed in that for some time until we started shipping all of our manufacturing jobs to China.

I am like Dak. I got one really good year in real estate and then the market went south. I am still in real estate (not selling anything) and doing web design as a sideline. Looks like the market might be coming back (thank God). I work from a home office.

Anyone buying selling in Northern Illinois?

I also Gig and am exploring the possibilities of becoming a For-Hire Zager Cop...

• Members

That's what my wife does, Sami. Up here in the Raleigh and surrounding areas. I don't think she'd enjoy it as much if she worked in the court system. Although, some personal difficulties have necessitated she cut back her work load and may even give it up altogether......the jury is still out on that.

Very interesting to say the least. She's a voice writer using voice recognition software (ProCat) and when I was out of work last year I worked as her scopist for a while.

You definitely hear some "interesting" tesimony in those depositions; don't you?

man, you guys got some great BBQ in smithfield

• Members

I've been heavily involved in a 37 yr. old family business for the past 18 years...a large industrial healthcare laundry...

this year, we should top the 42 million lb. mark, of linens processed for 58 individual healthcare facilities...

not so glamourous, but it's nice to be busy in an area suffering from the loss of most of it's 2 main industries...

furniture and textile manufacturing...

• Members

:cool:

Following a hand injury years ago, I re-trained as a voicewriter. Couldn't sustain steno speeds after surgery.

I don't use VR software, though, but will do so once I get moved out of here and have time to train it. I used to employ several typists, but now am doing my own transcription in order to save bucks. Means some pretty insane work hours.

Also interesting that she uses ProCat. I used their CAT software and their Flash writer back in my steno days.

Most "interesting" depo I ever took down was in a lawsuit involving a sex change. :eek:

Sorry she had to cut back. I'm doing the opposite, trying to ramp up my workload, but it's dead slow around here right now. :cry:

• Members

I'm an electrical engineer working in research at Motorola. I worked on what is now the Nextel system when it was in research. If you're familiar with that system, and don't like it, don't blame me; it was not intended to be a cell phone system. Craig McCaw did that.

Process engineer for a Tantalum capacitor manufacturer.

First post, btw.
:wave:

I use things like tantalum capacitors. Welcome Aitch. Kemet, AVX, Cornell-Dubilier, Samsung? (no need to reply)

Scott O

• Members
Legislative fiscal consultant.

This is a very interesting thread! We're all very different but we seem to have more than the one thing in common...

Of course you refer to the fact that we're all unusually good-looking? :cool:

• Members

Watchmaker living in a tiny world with about 4 sq/in of work space.

You are a dying breed. I have a good friend who is a watchmaker an I've been known to do a bit of watch-dicking myself on occasion as a hobby.

We need more good watchmakers.

• Members

Lawyer

I also teach part-time at a small local college and a large university.

I teach about 12-20 hours a week.

I'm a lawyer too. Do you represent American ex-pats or do you do work for Vietnamese as well? What kind of law do you practice?

• Members

Butcher.

The sissy city variety. The meat comes in mostly cut up already, I just trim and cut steaks, mainly.

I'm the ultility player in my local butcher shop. I wash everything, make a lot of the non-real butchery related items, and pretty much anything that needs doing. It's the greatest job I've ever had.

Archived