WHAT IS YOUR DAY JOB?

austikins

• Members

When I taught fly fishing for a living...

I used to teach fly casting as a summer job. Worked as a pike fishing guide on some big river systems here (Ireland) for a while, too. :wave: I also demonstrated fly-tying in various outdoor/country fairs for a couple of years.

Now I am a student, struggling through a graduate thesis.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm a semi-retired temp and self-employed graphic/web designer. I hung it all up to become a stay at home dad (SAHD). Now I have two boys (16 months and 4 years old) who are my charge for at least 12 hours out of the day. I tried to be a work at home dad (WAHD) but gave it up when my clients stopped paying me and my first son started showing developmental delays. He now has about 30 hours of behavioral/developmental/speech/occupational therapy a week (with more pending) and is on the gluten free diet, so I don't have time to cater clients' every whims and harass them to honor their agreements anymore.

I'm thinking about taking on a part time job largely to just get out of the house. I'd love to either land a coffee house solo gig or give lessons but it will take some work to get there.

People like you make the world a better place...You'll do well at that PTJ:thu:

• Members

Have done a bunch of stuff....owned/operated a photo studio, was a Bell phone guy working on electronic switching systems, then a marketing guy for a steel company, Independent sales rep for a couple of companies, lastly and currently, an insurance agent. I would like to get back to my photography, or I might start a volunteer guitar lessons shop for beginners, that is when I decide to retire for good. I'm still a few years away.

• Members

Medical Lab Technologist

Which means I spend all day drawing blood and sticking it in machines and microscopes.I work in a tiny ER/Hospital/Clinic in a town of about 1,800.:bor:

Take call for the ER after Clinic hours and get called in at all times of the night. So; on the AC forum at goofy hours.

• Members

Process engineer for a Tantalum capacitor manufacturer.

First post, btw.
:wave:

do you work for sprague/visha?

I am the physics lab tech for a small liberal art college.

I got certified to teach physics over a decade ago, but taught just for 2 years in the filed, not that I didn't like teaching, I just didn't want to commute and sit in my car for a hour and a half every day.

• Members

I'm an Operating Engineer.

I operate heavy equipment including but not limited to;

dozers, cranes, excavators, loaders, etc etc etc.

I'm an apprentice, so I don't do much of the serious stuff yet, but I have had my share of large equipment.

• Members

do you work for sprague/visha?

I am the physics lab tech for a small liberal art college.

I got certified to teach physics over a decade ago, but taught just for 2 years in the filed, not that I didn't like teaching, I just didn't want to commute and sit in my car for a hour and a half every day.

Nope, the two you listed are our competitors. I have a good friend at work that started out with Sprague (I think he worked for them in Mass.) and we have a couple of other people from Vishay.

• Members

I'm a semi-retired temp and self-employed graphic/web designer. I hung it all up to become a stay at home dad (SAHD). Now I have two boys (16 months and 4 years old) who are my charge for at least 12 hours out of the day. I tried to be a work at home dad (WAHD) but gave it up when my clients stopped paying me and my first son started showing developmental delays. He now has about 30 hours of behavioral/developmental/speech/occupational therapy a week (with more pending) and is on the gluten free diet, so I don't have time to cater clients' every whims and harass them to honor their agreements anymore.

I'm thinking about taking on a part time job largely to just get out of the house. I'd love to either land a coffee house solo gig or give lessons but it will take some work to get there.

Gotta tell you, I think you have one COOL job. In another time/era, we might have opted for the same arrangement in our household: three sons, 16, 14 and 9. Being a parent is the best job out there IMO.

My oldest son was borne with severe seasonal and food allergies and asthma; he almost died during an attack when he was two. His food allergies are now well-managed - the foods he's allergic to have diminished to eggs, nuts and dairy - and his potential for going into anaphylactic shock from ingesting those is much lower now (though he still carries an Epi-pen with at all times). His allergies and asthma haven't stopped him from being a very good athlete - he made his high school basketball team as the starting point guard even though he's only 5' 7" (at this point), and is also a strong swimmer - and he isn't self-conscious about having to watch very carefully what he eats when he's away from home, e.g. a restaurant. We'd like to think that's at least partly the result of a careful balance in our parenting: making sure he's sensitive to the potentially fatal aspects of his allergies without making him a self-pitying prima donna. Ultimately, each of us has his/her cross to bear, and most of us here probably have a much lighter burden than many others in this world.

Archived