Acoustic France

Stackabones

• Members

A Putumayo compilation.

I think this one just came out. There's also a Quebec one that is sorta recent and it looks interesting.

I dig this label. As a musico-francophile, they satisfy my curiosity about some of that music w/o having to track down a bunch of imports. I also dig their Brazilian, Carribean, and Arabic collections. Lots of cool ones that have tons of acoustic music on them.

One artist that I've learned about through them is Pascal Parisot. They've got a few tunes on their Paris and French Playground compilations. I dl'd his disk called "Clap! Clap!" and it's cool. His other stuff I'd like to find, but it's tough to track down in the US. For example, amazon has "Wonderfull" but it's $49.99. :mad:

• Members

the "Africa" compliation is one of my fabourite albums.

Have you listened to this week's World Routes yet? It's the second (and last) show recorded at the Festival on the Niger in Secou, Mali.

Edit: BTW, I should finally get my N'Goni soon :cool: My friend in France received it on the very day I left the country.... but I should see her in London at the end of September, as I'll be around for the Ramadan Nights at Barbican Centre)

[/hijacking] :o

• Members

I'll have to go back and check out the links, but are you familiar with Pierre Bensusan? He's a fingerstyle player with some wonderful orchestral nuances to his playing. I've been listening to his album "Altiplanos" a lot lately and i have tab to a couple of his songs (through Fingerstyle Guitar magazine) and jeez o man they're pretty elaborate!

• Members

I'll have to go back and check out the links, but are you familiar with Pierre Bensusan? He's a fingerstyle player with some wonderful orchestral nuances to his playing. I've been listening to his album "Altiplanos" a lot lately and i have tab to a couple of his songs (through Fingerstyle Guitar magazine) and jeez o man they're pretty elaborate!

I don't own anything by him, but I've heard some youtube stuff here and there and always known about him being the DADGAD guy. Incredible picker. Does any of his music have a propulsive rhythm to it? From what I've heard of his chords and melodies, it's really lush and gorgeous but not too rhythmic.

• Members

Have you listened to this week's
World Routes
yet? It's the second (and last) show recorded at the
Festival on the Niger
in Secou, Mali.

Listened to it last Saturday - excellent stuff - I really would like a kora!

BTW, I should finally get my N'Goni soon
:cool:
My friend in France received it on the very day I left the country.... but I should see her in London at the end of September, as I'll be around for the
Ramadan Nights at Barbican Centre
)

Good luck with the ngoni - let us know how you cope with it!

And that's a great looking festival at the Barbican (Bassekou Kouyate! - you'll have to watch him closely for tips on ngoni playing) but I shall probably be celebrating the end of Ramadan with some of my Muslim friends (I usually get an invitation) so won't be able to make it.

• Members

I don't own anything by him, but I've heard some youtube stuff here and there and always known about him being the DADGAD guy. Incredible picker. Does any of his music have a propulsive rhythm to it? From what I've heard of his chords and melodies, it's really lush and gorgeous but not too rhythmic.

Yeah, there are a couple such as "L'Alchimiste" and "Hymn 11" which are gorgeously played which IMO match orchestral scores. In fact, I've tabbed out those two in Powertab and switched the MIDI instruments in the playback module to strings and that's exactly what they sound like to my unrefined ear. OTOH there are a songs on "Altiplanos" which have a strong sense of constant rhythm, both regular and irregular (not your garden-variety 3/4 or 4/4 time) that are either subtle (as in the case of the solo acoustic guitar pieces) or specifically-arranged with percussion to accompany his playing, which BTW takes an almost supportive role and shifts your focus more on the overall arrangement and not just his playing. In fact, I'd say the guy is more of a composer than a solo fingerstyle guitar player.

I'd strongly recommend checking out the MP3 samples of his albums on amazon.com:

http://www.amazon.com/Altiplanos-Pierre-Bensusan/dp/B00080EVL6/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1220033912&sr=8-1

Check out tracks 1,3,6,10,12 as these are the most "rhythmic" of all the songs on this album. 3 and 6 have percussion while all the result are solo guitar but you can easily catch on to the tempo; there's no "free time" or much altering of the tempo in places as in most of the rest.

• Members

A
Putumayo
compilation.

I think this one just came out. There's also a Quebec one that is sorta recent and it looks interesting.

Hi Stack:

As a born Quebecer, I was interested in the Putumayo Quebec disc. It seems to have mostly younger musicians whom I'm not familiar with. I grew up there, hearing singers like Robert Charlebois, Felix Leclerc, Monique Leyrac, Gilles Vigneault, Beau Dommage etc. I've got a lot of these on vinyl - I'll have to digitize them someday (before my turntable packs it in).

One group on the Putumayo disc that I recognize is La Bottine Souriante. These guys are absolutely amazing!! I'd buy the disc for them alone, if I didn't already have several of their discs.:)

• Members

Hi Stack:

As a born Quebecer, I was interested in the Putumayo Quebec disc. It seems to have mostly younger musicians whom I'm not familiar with. I grew up there, hearing singers like Robert Charlebois, Felix Leclerc, Monique Leyrac, Gilles Vigneault, Beau Dommage etc. I've got a lot of these on vinyl - I'll have to digitize them someday (before my turntable packs it in).

One group on the Putumayo disc that I recognize is La Bottine Souriante. These guys are absolutely amazing!! I'd buy the disc for them alone, if I didn't already have several of their discs.
:)

Thanks, MDR! La Bottine Souriante is a stand-out on that disc imo.

btw, just got the Acoustic France CD in the mail ... I'm going to check it out today while out and about.

Archived