Yairi v Takamine guitars....

hoot4alma

• Members

Lookin for advice on buying a guitar...Proud owner of K.Yairi DY 74(sadly showing signs of distress due to pick damage and with dodgy intonation on treble strings...).Friend has nice takamine for sale.FP 360SC (pete townsend model he tells me...!).Seems nice and definitely has better intonation than yairi.Can't really afford both, and not THAT much of a guitar fiend i'm afraid.(have old solid top yamaha as well,nuttin flash but dependable).Could anyone be so kind as to provide a wee bit of advice and direction?. I mainly play acoustic sessions with odd amplified gig.Don't like cutaways, but should i go for takamine for 300/350 euros? Any help appreciated.

• Members

Sounds like you may have a seriously good guitar that's just ailing. Give it a chance. Take it to a good tech. Prolly needs a truss rod tweak, maybe some fret dressing, and a comped bridge, if you desire. Not as exciting as buying a new one, but I think you may already have a winner.

• Members

Thanks for sound advice folks.I actually recently got a comped bridge and problems(with yairi)persist..Maybe just losing a bit of faith in it...I'd be interested to know if any of ye had similar problems with the yairi DY74.

Do what makes you happiest. If the Tak plays and sounds better to you then go for it.

The right person could make that yairi speak to you.

• Members

. . . The right person could make that yairi speak to you.

I'm not sure "the right person" exists at this point. hoot4alma has already had the saddle replaced and still has intonation issues. Frankly, I doubt a setup would have much effect at this point. The guitar may have structural issues for all we know. Anyway, hoot4alma isn't happy with the guitar and a replacement would seem to be in order.

• Members

I'm not sure "the right person" exists at this point. hoot4alma has already had the saddle replaced and still has intonation issues. Frankly, I doubt a setup would have much effect at this point. The guitar may have structural issues for all we know. Anyway, hoot4alma isn't happy with the guitar and a replacement would seem to be in order.

Your probably right. The Bridge may not be quite in the right position.

• 11 years later...
  • Members

personally i would NEVER sell a yairi of any kind unless i were moving up to a nicer yairi.  i have a few older k yairis and s yairis and i treasure every one. i encourage you to find a competent tech and have yours fixed right.  it could be as simple as the bridge needs moved slightly.  if you are bent on selling it, i am interested at some price.

Archived