Storing a guitar in case with strap

outdoorgb

• Members

Probably a dumb queston but I'm gonna post it anyway.

Just put a front strap pin on my Larrivee, treble side of heal/neck. Yes I drilled it myself and I am a woodworker...

I am able to keep the strap attached at both ends and fit the guitar into my hard case. The strap fits along side the lower/upper bout and waist. The extra strap fits between the case neck support and guitar. The guitar has a satin finish (L03R).

Any long term issues doing this?

• Members

Not certain, but I don't think this would be an issue. I believe Larrivee uses a poly finish. Different story with nitrocellulose lacquer (Martin, Gibson, others), which reacts very badly with vinyl and with some chemicals used in the treatment of leather and suede.

Just to be safe, I never keep straps attached to any of my gits when they're not in use. Probably an unnecessary precaution.

• Members

Pat Sullivan (Sully's Straps), a custom strap maker out of PA, offers a fairly comprehensive answer to this question with regard to his leather straps. You may find that answer useful so I've reproduced it below. He has a nice site and sells quality straps at: http://www.sullysstraps.com/index.html

CAN THE STRAP BE SAFELY STORED IN THE CASE?

Although lots of players keep their straps in the case without a problem, most instrument builders recommend not storing the instrument in contact with any strap - leather or vinyl. Besides possible color bleeding onto the finish, keep in mind that under certain conditions (playing outside in damp or very humid conditions) any leather strap may possibly absorb moisture. Whatever strap you use, make sure it is dry before storing it in the case with your instrument for an extended period of time. And NEVER let dew get on or in your case at an outside jam.

I have sold literally hundreds of my new straps made from the highest quality veg tanned leather available and have had only two instances of some slight bleed-over into the finish. Both occurrences happened on factory fresh Martin guitars. I did a little research and found that it can take 6 months or more for some instrument finishes to fully cure. If your sweetheart still smells like lacquer, take off the strap when you

Archived