Dreadnoughts: Larrivee vs Yamaha

Daft Punk

• Members

I have played both...most recently the LL16...I own the L and OM Larrivees...may pick up a D Larrivee someday when my Yamaha FG730S lets me down (not gonna happen)

For sound quality the Larrivee won for me but the Yamaha has the potetial to open up over time. On the Yamaha you will get a high gloss finish along with rosewood S/B, and satin with mahog on the Larrivee (-03 models).

• Members

I have both the LL6 (China) and LL26 (Japan); both are flawlessly made and great-sounding guitars. The LL6 in particular has superb tone and dynamics you would normally only associate with an all-solid instrument. The 26 is as good as ANY American guitar I have ever played or owned; and that is a lot of guitars!

You also get a gloss finish as opposed to the satin on the Larrivee-if that is important for you. I also prefer the more graceful styling of the Yamaha against the standard, boxy dread shape of the Larrivee.

• Members

I have to ask if you're absolutely decided upon the dread size. Have you tried a Larrivee L-03. Great sound and more comfortable to play which seated, IMO.

Can't comment on that particular Yamaha, but Yammies have great bang for the buck.

Best,

Bill

• Members

I love both too much to decide. I've always wanted a OM-03R ever since I first played one like a decade ago. That said, I love my Yammie - a CPX15CM (Cedar/Mahog Compass w/ ebony board). I'd probably pick the Yammie Dread over the Larry, just b/c the tighter waist gets some kind of voodoo magic going on for me.

Want: Yamaha LL16 (or maybe 26?) & Larrivee OM-03R

and a Cordoba or Rodriguez

:facepalm:

• Members

I've tried a handful of Larrivees. Some were great; some were not so great. Definitely not as consistent as Yamaha. If you're ordering (buying sight-unseen), it has to be the Yamaha. Otherwise, try them both and pick the one you like the sound of more.

Every! Larrivee I've played has been awesome, without exception. Then again, I've played only the one I ordered sight unseen. ;)

Between the Larrivee and the Yamaha, wish that all choices in life gave you such a "you can't lose."

Best,

Bill

• Members

Every
! Larrivee I've played has been awesome, without exception. Then again, I've played only the one I ordered sight unseen.
;)

Between the Larrivee and the Yamaha, wish that all choices in life gave you such a "you can't lose."

Best,

Bill

Well you know how it is... some guitars at Guitar Center hang on the wall for months with the same strings, or have not ever been adjusted for action, etc... so some sound great, and others not-so-great. I don't blame the guitar as much as the store, but then again, I *have* seen more consistency from Yamaha than any other brand. That was important to me, since I had to order my LS6 without seeing it first.

But yeah, it would be a very tough call between the Yamaha LL16 and the Larrivee dreads, especially if you get to sit down with both and try them out, and they're both setup nicely!

• Members

I have only tried one Larivee and it wasn't a dread, it was an OM model. I borrowed it from a player at an open mic I was at. I didn't really like the shape or feel of the neck and it had a wider fretboard than I am used to. The owner does a lot of fingerpicking and has bigger hands than I do.

I would like to try out one of those Yamaha dreads but after trying out a new Martin D-28 I no longer shop around. I now know that's the only guitar for me in that size. At $2200 it's gonna be awhile...;)

• Members

I think it's pretty widely agreed that Yamahas have great consistency. If you like the feel of the neck and the string spacing, you won't be disappointed.

The beauty of neck profiles is in the hand of the guitarist. Because my hands are on the small size of medium, I was concerned that I wouldn't like the Larrivee. However, I was pleasantly surprised to discover that it's the favorite of all the guitars I've played. You really have to try one yourself to be able to tell.

I'm probably with Tracy on the Martin D-28. If I were looking for a dread, I'd probably hold out for that one, but I'd be holding out for a long time, too. I do have a nice Norman ST68 if anyone's interested. :)

DP, let us know what you decide.

Bill

• Members

As with what Bill and Tracy have said .......... find the instrument that speaks to both your playing style and ear and stick with it or it's equivalent. Of the instruments I play two makers consistantly float my boat. Namely CF Martin and Yamaha.

Others prefer Larrivee, Gibson, Santa Cruz, etc. and the list goes on, but there are virtually as many brands and stylings as there are guitarist. IMHO possibly the best method for chosing the one that's right for you is by closing your eyes and allowing your hands and ears to make the decisions for you.

IMHO aesthetics and location of manufacture should be virtually last on the list of considerations. :thu:

Tanglewood is another deserving credence as a manufacture fully capable of producing fantastic instruments with impeccable tonal, build and handling characteristics. The two I own are as tonally alive and playable as one could ever hope for. :thu:

Archived