This is Whalebots wife with a plea for help

Whalebot

• Members

Excellent point, TAH. Whale, did you purchase it new with the warranty?

Called Jon at MFG.com and we discussed, most likely Martin won't handle a crack repair. BTW it is my 000-15s and I love it. I'm thinking that the cost of the repair would be out of whack with the price of the guitar. It cost me $900.

Bjorn, would the repair be worthwhile? Would the git sound and behave the same? If so I would greatly appreciate it!

So I have no idea what is really going on, looks like I'll play Queeqs git tomorrow and we'll see after that.

I'm humbled by everyone's generosity.

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Whale--Was about to email your wife. I can help. PM me and I will give you my cell number. Your choice of 2 or 3. I am doing a mental inventory as I type.

Hats off to you my friend!

Never fails, about the time I begin to think the world is populated entirely by soulless morons, I see a random act of kindness that renews my spirit.

You probably helped me as much as Whalebot.

• Members

Called Jon at MFG.com and we discussed, most likely Martin won't handle a crack repair. BTW it is my 000-15s and I love it. I'm thinking that the cost of the repair would be out of whack with the price of the guitar. It cost me $900.

Bjorn, would the repair be worthwhile? Would the git sound and behave the same? If so I would greatly appreciate it!

So I have no idea what is really going on, looks like I'll play Queeqs git tomorrow and we'll see after that.

I'm humbled by everyone's generosity.

I've been known to say that anything can be fixed, and for the most part, it's true. The question is whether the cost, monetarily, psychologically, is worth it.

Not holding the guitar in my hand it's a little difficult to say exactly what would be involved but I'll give you my best assessment based on the photo.

The break appears to be pretty clean as far as there being no twising or crushing of the wood. It looks like it will likely be completely feasible to restore the guitar to its former glory, some minor scarring notwithstanding. Did the action go all out of whack after the guitar cracked or did it remain about where it was before the damage? If you haven't done so, release the tension of the strings.

This looks to me like a crack resulting from some kind of physical shock. As someone said, unbound guitars can be pretty fragile. And mahogany can be quite brittle. I have seen guitars suffer bad cracks from being put down a little roughly (but by no means dropped) on their side while in their case.

Basically, the crack needs to be lined up, glued and lightly clamped. If the action changed special consideration will need to be given to the alignment of the headblock. After the crack is re-set, some small reinforcement braces will need to be installed on the inside of the side to prevent the crack from ever trying to re-open. As for the finish, this too can be repaired in such a way to make the repair all but disappear.

I've never done a finish repair on a 15 series Martin. Does anyone know if the finish is nitro or poly? I know Martin uses nitro on their more expensive stuff and poly on their less expensive stuff but there are some exceptions to this rule. Anyone?

• Members

I've never done a finish repair on a 15 series Martin. Does anyone know if the finish is nitro or poly? I know Martin uses nitro on their more expensive stuff and poly on their less expensive stuff but there are some exceptions to this rule. Anyone?

I'm almost positive it's nitro, but hope someone more expert than me will confirm this.

• Members

Will someone be coordinating donations?

I asked Queequeg and he says it's a bit premature, for us to wait and see what we're dealing with.

So, I will defer to him and Whale and wait until the git's ultimate fate is determined. I'm sure they'll keep us up to speed.

• Members

Hats off to you my friend!

Never fails, about the time I begin to think the world is populated entirely by soulless morons, I see a random act of kindness that renews my spirit.

You probably helped me as much as Whalebot.

Thanks Totamus. In all honesty, I am a soulless moron with too many guitars.

Whale, my offer still stands if you need it. I PM'd my cellphone # to you. To steal a line from Randy Travis: "If my phone still ain't ringin', can I assume it still ain't you..."

Archived