Study film at Musicians Institute?

iseiji22

• Members

Hello guys, I am not sure if this is the right place to ask this question, but I am kinda desperate here since it's hard to find anything related on the net.

please excuse my English, it's not my first language  :p

I am interested in both film and music, play a bit of guitar and drums, sometimes I make short films for friends and organization, the feedback was pretty good, I am currently working in 3D animation industry at Taiwan.  I am thinking of studying film abroad, but I didn't want just to study film only, I also love music, then I came across the one year film program at MI.

Does anyone know why one would study film at MI?   is there a sinificant difference from other film schools? 

what about employment after you finish the program?    Anyone studied film there can provide me with some detail? would really appreciate it.

Thank you.

• Moderators

IIRC, that program is for film scoring, and to be honest, the chances of them placing you even in a unpaid intern position in the Hollywood market are probably slim to none.   A very small handful of people make a very good living scoring major films and TV shows, the rest eke out a modest living...I know because I know some of them, having worked with some over the years.

As a graduate of the Radio/Television/Film program at Cal State Northridge (in Los Angeles), and a finalist for the Director's Guild Apprenticeship program, I will tell you that having a degree in the field isn't as good as having a relative in the field, and having both is better, but no guarantee (I and a few other people I know have or had both, and have worked in the 'biz' here, but never made a big splash, and not for lack of trying).

Hunter S. Thompson's line about the music biz goes double for the film biz (the trench is deeper, wider and flilled with more 'muck'); at the majors level, it is a cut-throat business, and you really are only as good as the numbers on your iPhone, your FB friends and Twitter list and your last hit.  Glamorous it is not. Lucrative, yes, for a limited few.

You are actually in a very good marketplace where you could make a name for yourself, as more and more productions are moving to Asian cities for less expensive labor and facilities.

Archived