Larrivee D-03R

Jonny_Q

• Members

Today I went on an acoustic hunt - went to two different stores, and am I ever glad I did!

First location I was at - I played a Gibson AJ reissue (with the old style Gibson logo), a Larrivee D-03R, and a Martin D-35.

I liked the Larrivee, but when I picked up the Martin it blew the D-03R away. I remember really liking that Larrivee before though, so it baffled me. They were in different price ranges though, so I was thinking "mabye I shouldn't have spoiled myself!" The Gibson was really nice too, but the Martin clearly won out.

I went to the next store - tried the Larrivee out there. SWWWEEET! There it was. THAT was the sound I heard before. It rang way better than the other one, and had more body to the tone. It played unbelievably well.

Just to be sure, I played the Martin D35, but it didn't blow the Larrivee away (even though it was $1000 more). Tried the HD35, same deal. Tried a Taylor 410, still preferred the D-03R.

Bottom line is - I'm glad I tried out a couple of them. And I'm glad I only have to spend $1000 for an amazing guitar (not over $2k on those other brands). I should have it in my possession next week :thu:

Any other Larrivee users on here? I fell in love with the Larrivee/rosewood sound :love:

• Members

I love my little OM-03R and think that for fingerpicking it bears every Martin OM I've picked up since I got my Larrivee. OTOH I've been concentrating on singing/strumming and got some serious GAS for a D-35 or HD-35. I played a D-05 (hog/sitka) and while it was a cannon, I've since played a HD-35 that I fell in love with its tone.

• Members

Glad you got a good one. I bought a L-03R last February, but unfortunately, the lower strings sounded absolutely dead, so I exchanged it for something else. I have, as yet, to play a Larrivee that knocked my socks off.

Enjoy!

Cheers,

Glenn

• Members

Glad you got a good one. I bought a L-03R last February, but unfortunately, the lower strings sounded absolutely dead, so I exchanged it for something else. I have, as yet, to play a Larrivee that knocked my socks off.

Enjoy!

Cheers,

Glenn

That's too bad! Have you played several of the -03- series? It only took two for me, and every other one I've played in the past has been awesome (so really only one dud)

• Members

Unfortunately, selection on this side of the Atlantic is limited, so I only got to play, I think, 4 Larrivees, and 2 of those were the 9 series, and out of my budget. I know others have commented on the Larrivee rosewood models having a dead bottom, but it seems to be the exception, rather than the rule. In any case, I ended up with an absolutely fantastic guitar, a Lakewood M18. So, all's well that ends well.

Cheers,

Glenn

• Members

Well...I took the Larrivee D-03R home today :love:

Managed to get it for $1000 canadian (plus tax) - such a good price for the quality of guitar. I played it against a Martin HD28 again today for a long time, and I gave a slight edge to the Martin. However....its not worth $1200 more than the Larrivee I walked home with, in my opinion :thu:

• Members

is it possible some of these guitars that don't sound as good as others are just played more?

what else would be a factor in a "major" tone difference?

I'm a lefty and went out and played a right handed D03R upside down for a while as well as had a salesman play it for me. I went through the paces but sadly cannot buy the guitar on-site so to speak. Larrivee didn't have any lefties so they built one for me. Should be here in a weak now.....I'm just worried after seeing this stuff that i'll have a tone dead one.

what could be factors in the guitar sounding thin (other than the cleartones and possibly not being played very much) ???

hopefully they spent extra time on the left for me, its been quite a while since I ordered! Natrually its shipping to a music shop, just like all the guitars that come in are...

• Members

That's definitely true. I fell in love with the OM-03R model after having played a guitar that had been hanging on the wall for several months. It had clearly been played-in and sounded great to my ears.

OTOH when I got my new OM-03R it sounded like it was stuffed full of socks. I didn't worry too much because I'd played the other one and knew its potential. I also asked around and knew exactly which upgrades would help with the tone, as well as the "break in" or "opening up" factor of the solid top.

I guess what I'm saying is, don't worry about the lefty D-03R being a dog because it can be made to sound better. Get rid of the original strings, put on a bone saddle and get it set up by a pro (have him clean up the fret ends in particular) and in about 6 months you'll have a relatively inexpensive guitar (in relation to similarly-appointed Martins and Taylors made in north America) that sounds alive.

:wave:

• Members

Every D-03R I've heard blows me away, but that's only about four or five. Fortunately, the one lefty I've heard, which came to me in the mail about 14 months ago, knocked me out more than any of them. I ab/d mine against a D-28--the only lefty model I've seen, and while I loved the Martin, I liked the Larrivee even more. When I was in San Diego recently, I visited the Buffalo Bros. two stores. Nice lefty selection and several guitars I rarely get the chance to play. I always thought Collings was the gold standard, and I've added Bourgoeis, Santa Cruz, etc. I believe my Larrivee matches those for sound. Why not? Same quality materials, same excellent workmanship. I happen to believe the satin finish improves sound, so that's not a problem--although a gloss finish on rosewood looks really nice.

When I recently decided I needed a smaller guitar for ergonomic reasons, although I've liked several from Taylor and Martin, I went with the same Larrivee model, in an L body. I like it, especially the neck and comfort level in my lap. But the sound doesn't blow me away like my dread. But neither do Collings' smaller body guitars blow me away like their dreads do. I guess I like that big sound. I've upgraded my dread with bone everything and don't use coated strings, so maybe I need to do that with my L. I haven't even changed the strings yet. Initially, I was going to post my D-03R for sale, but when you have one that sounds exactly the way you want a guitar to sound, it's hard to give it up. I was lucky to get both at really good pre-hike, sub-grand prices (way less on the D, and still under a grand for the L, even with rosewood and electronics) so I doubt I can get a single guitar as good as either, even if I sold both. Both guitars have gone up least three hundred more than I paid.

Since I rank Larrivees with the very best manufactured guitars, I'm always surprised when I hear someone got a dud. I can't believe Jean ever uses bad wood, so I'm sure that playing, string changes, etc., as Kwak says, should bring out the best qualities in it. My dread sounded amazing right out of the box and has only gotten better. My L also sounded great--but not as great as the dread-- is getting better as I play it and should get better still when I make some changes. If you replace the plastic with bone, and hange the tuners (I know, not a sound thing) you'll have a guitar that matches anything within about three grand.

• Members

Another happy D-03 owner here! I bought a used D-03 with hog b/s and clear pickguard a few months ago. Your post has me thinking its time to change the strings, I have a set of D'Addario EJ-16s right here waiting on me... I'm still in the search for the right strings for me.

2204882450103288082S600x600Q85.jpg2495385610103288082S600x600Q85.jpg

• Members

I've got an old Larrivee D-03 that's Mahogany. It's an awesome guitar--very light, easy to play, and you can use a capo on any fret without having to retune. Then I came across a D-09E Brazilian Rosewood. The thing is amazing. Beautiful guitar, amazing sound, and it stays in tune for weeks despite the pounding I give it. You can't go wrong with Larrivee.

• Members

I've got a DV-03RE that sounds pretty good but it needs a good setup (something that I"ve been too lazy to bring in to a shop). Coming from a strictly electric player, it definitely takes up a lot of space on my lap, which I'm not completely comfortable with. Been having thoughts about trading it in for an LV03RE. It's much more comfortable and I"d be willing to sacrifice the fullness of the dreadnaught sound (my crappy ears can't make that distinction all that well)

• Members

I have two Larrivees - 0M9 and C09 - both great instruments and much much cheaper than my other acoustics Santa Cruz D/E, MciLroy A30 and Forster Model C). They might not be in the same league as the MciLroy or Forster, but give a Larrivee any day over a Taylor. All the Larrivees I have played - around 30 -have sounded great and been very playable

• Members

I wouldnt go throwing stones at Martins - My OM28v Martin is a killer of a tone monster - i also own a OMv60 - which is the top of line Larry OM cutaway -it is also a super instrument - but if you told me i could only keep one of them , it would be the Martin ! Thou i would severly miss the Larry - i feel they compliment each other well because of the difference in sound -

I will admit i play the Larry more- because of the faster neck and cutaway lets me play higher on the neck - its tonation is about as perfect as a guitar could be - but then again so is the Martins -:wave:

Can we just shake and call it a draw ?

• Members

I have a OM3MT (Mahogany top with mahogant back and sides), the real stuff.

I love it. It really kicks out the volume and the tone is bright with a bit of "gain" to give it a nice edge if you dig in a little. String brand makes a difference. Elixir all bronze lights sound great, not so much the 80/20s. With the low frets and coated strings, you can really fly on the fretboard.

It's my daily go-to guitar. I prefer it over my Gibson and Martin.

• Members

I wouldnt go throwing stones at Martins - My OM28v Martin is a killer of a tone monster - i also own a OMv60 - which is the top of line Larry OM cutaway -it is also a super instrument - but if you told me i could only keep one of them , it would be the Martin ! Thou i would severly miss the Larry - i feel they compliment each other well because of the difference in sound -

I will admit i play the Larry more- because of the faster neck and cutaway lets me play higher on the neck - its tonation is about as perfect as a guitar could be - but then again so is the Martins -
:wave:

Can we just shake and call it a draw ?

Sorry - I'm missing the problem here. Who's throwing stones at Martin?

Archived