Yamaha LS6 v. LS16?

rjoxyz

• Members

I am thinking about picking up a spruce/rosewood 000/OM as an alternative to my all hog 000-15S for fingerstyle. From all the buzz I have read over the L series, I am thinking Yamaha LS. I don't know if I will be able to find any locally to play and compare.

I guess I am wondering if anyone has enough experience with both the all solid LS16 and laminated side/back LS6 to give me an idea if the resonance of the LS6 is sufficient to compete with it's all-solid sibling?

Economic times being what they are, a $500 guitar is more attractive than a $750 guitar at the moment (and less likely to provoke my wife to kill me in my sleep). I am afraid I have bought my last Martin, Gibson or Larrivee for a long while.

• Members

I am thinking about picking up a spruce/rosewood 000/OM as an alternative to my all hog 000-15S for fingerstyle. From all the buzz I have read over the L series, I am thinking Yamaha LS. I don't know if I will be able to find any locally to play and compare.

I guess I am wondering if anyone has enough experience with both the all solid LS16 and laminated side/back LS6 to give me an idea if the resonance of the LS6 is sufficient to compete with it's all-solid sibling?

Economic times being what they are, a $500 guitar is more attractive than a $750 guitar at the moment (and less likely to provoke my wife to kill me in my sleep). I am afraid I have bought my last Martin, Gibson or Larrivee for a long while.

This one looks pretty sweet.....A new Eastman AC308

http://cgi.ebay.com/Eastman-AC-308-Grand-Concert-Guitar-NICE_W0QQitemZ250364471336QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar?hash=item250364471336&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1199%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

• Members

I would think the 000-15 would be great for fingerstyle... why bother adding the 000-sized LS?

Regarding your question... only YOU can decide if the slight difference in sound is worth $250... I'm not good enough to warrant the delta, so went with the LS6

If I bought guitars based on my abilities, an Esteban would be in my lap right now. :rolleyes:

As to the Martin, it is an extraordinary fingerstyle guitar. It's tone is unique due to the all mahogany construction. Looking for an occasional change of pace from that dark, woody tone.

• Members

Whilst the LS6 is an excellent guitar, the LS16 is superior in terms of resonance and tone. The only difference between the two is the use of solid instead of laminate b&s, but IMHO the LS16 is well worth the extra investment.
:thu:

I suspect I would agree with you. Despite my digital shortcomings, it seems my ear discerns slight tonal differences. I guess I have champagne ears and beer fingers. :)

• Members

I did not try a 16 but man I love the 6! I pick up my LS6 next week. Great playability and tone. Pittsburgh Guitars has them cheaper than the box stores and they check them out.

If you can't support your local Rosewood dealership, then support mine
:)

Congrats on your choice.

In terms of sonic pleasure, the 16 is a nice step up from the very pleasing 6. :thu:

• Members

I suspect I would agree with you. Despite my digital shortcomings, it seems my ear discerns slight tonal differences. I guess I have champagne ears and beer fingers.

The beauty is that champagne ears can help beer fingers improve with practise. :thu: As always I highly recommend trying before buying whenever possible. :)

• Members

The beauty is that champagne ears can help beer fingers improve with practise.
:thu:
As always I highly recommend trying before buying whenever possible.

Definitely true---I dove back into playing headfirst when I finally began to acquire some quality guitars a few years ago. Despite my limitations, I really enjoy the sometimes subtle differences between guitars, both in feel and in tone. I typically play 3-4 of mine every night.

I have improved by leaps and bounds from where I left off (started 30 years ago with long periods of inactivity) and play at least an hour or two a day on average. I have both anatomical and musical limits which will always be a roadblock, but playing has become my way of shedding the stress and pressures of my work, which seem to increase rather than decrease as I get older.

It is the sound of the guitars that keeps me going, not my own input to the music that inspires me---if that makes any sense.

• Members

Definitely true---I dove back into playing headfirst when I finally began to acquire some quality guitars a few years ago. Despite my limitations, I really enjoy the sometimes subtle differences between guitars, both in feel and in tone. I typically play 3-4 of mine every night.

I have improved by leaps and bounds from where I left off (started 30 years ago with long periods of inactivity) and play at least an hour or two a day on average. I have both anatomical and musical limits which will always be a roadblock, but playing has become my way of shedding the stress and pressures of my work, which seem to increase rather than decrease as I get older.

It is the sound of the guitars that keeps me going, not my own input to the music that inspires me---if that makes any sense.

Your perspective certainly makes sense to me and three factors stand above all others. Enjoyment, inspiration and stress relief, with all running equally alongside one another and serving you well. You can't place a price on such life enhancements. :thu:

Should you decide on the LS16 I can forward a kevlar helmet and body armour as protection against angry wife syndrome. ;)

• Members

Should you decide on the LS16 I can forward a kevlar helmet and body armour as protection against angry wife syndrome.
;)

I have the body armor and helmet(2 motorcycles in the garage---oops, motorbikes ;)). However, a Kevlar jockstrap might help me sleep better!

The LS16 is not out of reach. I kind of have a deal with my wife anyway. I sell guitars that gather dust to pay for new acquisitions. 1 in the door and 2 or 3 out to eBay.

• Members

To me neither of the Yamaha's are a good choice for fingerstyle because the string spacing at the saddle is way too tight. :( I owned the LS6 briefly, but that spacing was a killer. YMMV of course since you don't have my pudgy fingers. Among similarly priced alternatives I'd recommend a Stanford OM.

BTW, I think I bought that OM-15 that was linked last year (unless it's another OM-15 with a big back crack). The crack supposedly happened in transit to me and I ended up having to send it back and do a dispute to get my money back. Too bad, cause I would have had it repaired for a suitable partial refund. Nice sounding guitar.

• Members

I have the body armor and helmet(2 motorcycles in the garage---oops, motorbikes
;)
). However, a Kevlar jockstrap might help me sleep better!

The LS16 is not out of reach. I kind of have a deal with my wife anyway. I sell guitars that gather dust to pay for new acquisitions. 1 in the door and 2 or 3 out to eBay.

The only problem - and my wife keeps reminding me - is that we all have to sleep sometime and no amount of body armour can ever provide enough protection. :eek: I can't even hide, or sleep in the workshop, because she has a key. lol

• Members

To me neither of the Yamaha's are a good choice for fingerstyle because the string spacing at the saddle is way too tight.
:(
I owned the LS6 briefly, but that spacing was a killer. YMMV of course since you don't have my pudgy fingers..

Oh yes, I have the pudgiest of fingers! String spacing at the saddle has never been a problem for me. It is the nut spacing that is crucial to the sausages (or bangers for you Brits) on the end of my hand being able to fret cleanly, especially since I rarely venture past the 4th or 5th fret.

• Members

To me neither of the Yamaha's are a good choice for fingerstyle because the string spacing at the saddle is way too tight.
:(
I owned the LS6 briefly, but that spacing was a killer. YMMV of course since you don't have my pudgy fingers. Among similarly priced alternatives I'd recommend a Stanford OM.

One problem with isolating your playing to a specific string spacing is that it can often limit the number of instruments you can play comfortably by virtue of a lack of familiarity.

Imagine going from classical 2"+ spacing and onto steel strung 1-3/4". The transition becomes a non-issue with practise and precisely the same can be said of the differential between string spacing at the saddle. All it takes is a little time, practise and familiarity. :thu:

• Members

Randy,

I've no doubt you'll like the LS6 and LS16 -- everything you're describing (both your needs/use of guitars and your physical attributes) apply to me as well, and the LS6 suits me "just right" for fingerstyle play. I really do love it. If you can swing it, by all means get the 16 -- it can only sound like more of the same (i.e. better).

However, it's not very loud (and I suspect the 16 is the same here). I'm going to replace the saddle with bone soon, as others have reported an increase in volume (and sustain, which is nice too) when going to bone with this model. I'm sure it will be "just right" at that point.

Now I'm on a quest to get something for flatpicking/strumming (like out back by the firepit) -- more for bluegrass and singalongs. So I'm looking at dreads of course... need that boomy-punch sometimes, ya know?

Good luck!

• Members

Randy,

I've no doubt you'll like the LS6 and LS16 -- everything you're describing (both your needs/use of guitars and your physical attributes) apply to me as well, and the LS6 suits me "just right" for fingerstyle play. I really do love it. If you can swing it, by all means get the 16 -- it can only sound like more of the same (i.e. better).

However, it's not very loud (and I suspect the 16 is the same here). I'm going to replace the saddle with bone soon, as others have reported an increase in volume (and sustain, which is nice too) when going to bone with this model. I'm sure it will be "just right" at that point.

Now I'm on a quest to get something for flatpicking/strumming (like out back by the firepit) -- more for bluegrass and singalongs. So I'm looking at dreads of course... need that boomy-punch sometimes, ya know?

Good luck!

Good to hear mate. :thu:

I prefer the LS16 to the LS6, but think the LJ16 is a solid all round guitar for most styles and have one for that purpose.

IMHO Installing a bone saddle is definitely the way to go. ;)

• Members

I have both a 6 and a 26; both are lovely instruments and get equal amounts of playing time with, if I'm honest, the 6 just edging ahead.

Right now I'm vacillating between a smaller bodied FS720S or an FG700S for purely nostalgic reasons as it seems the closest in spec-except for the solid top-to my old FG180. Again I'd have to buy unseen...anyone know what I can expect from the 700s?

__

Yamaha LL26

Yamaha LL6

Yamaha SA2200

• Members

I have both a 6 and a 26; both are lovely instruments and get equal amounts of playing time with, if I'm honest, the 6 just edging ahead.

I read my initial post and realize it sounds at least borderline stupid. Way too subjective. My assumption was that the all-solid version should be well worth the additional cost, and $750 is not too high for a decent solid guitar.

I heard people raving over the tone and construction of the LS6 and was compelled to ask. Your response was not what I was expecting. Can't say I've heard of a lam back/side being picked over an identical or closely similar model of solid wood. Interesting. Does the 26 sound compressed in comparison to the "typical" all solid 000/OM, or does the 6 sound more "open" than it should?

• Members

Right now I'm vacillating between a smaller bodied FS720S or an FG700S for purely nostalgic reasons as it seems the closest in spec-except for the solid top-to my old FG180. Again I'd have to buy unseen...anyone know what I can expect from the 700s?

__

Yamaha LL26

Yamaha LL6

Yamaha SA2200

Do try a F335 some time.

• Members

I read my initial post and realize it sounds at least borderline stupid. Way too subjective. My assumption was that the all-solid version should be well worth the additional cost, and $750 is not too high for a decent solid guitar.

I heard people raving over the tone and construction of the LS6 and was compelled to ask. Your response was not what I was expecting. Can't say I've heard of a lam back/side being picked over an identical or closely similar model of solid wood. Interesting. Does the 26 sound compressed in comparison to the "typical" all solid 000/OM, or does the 6 sound more "open" than it should?

Lam/solid whatever......

I have a nice collection. Beyond Yamaha. My favorite guitar is the all lam FG300. Man it drips tone in that 7th to 9th fret area.

The sub $500 LS6 was the first New Yamaha for me. What a nice guitar.

If you are going to buy mail order. Pittsburgh Guitars has competititve and better prices than the MF/GC guys and they look at the stuff they sell! I am going out there (30 miles) next week. IF ANYONE wants me to check out a specific guitar let me know.

Yep, I have an angle. If Pgh Guitars does well with the Rosewood Program I bet I get to try a 36. They haven't ordered one yet....

• Members

I have a new LJ6 and I absolutely love it. I like it better than my solid hog dreadnaught, better than my Seagull Mini Jumbo. It is so well balanced and the sustain since putting on a bone saddle is great. I have no experience with the 16 series so I can't compare to an LJ16. IMHO, if you are happy with the sound and playability of the 6 series, get that. You can always find a git that sounds better than the one you have. I guess that's what we call GAS!

BigAl :thu:

Archived