Homemade Strings

YeahDoIt

• Members

I broke the high e string on my acoustic guitar. I did not have another string available so I began looking around the house for a substitute. First I tried some 50 pound test nylon fishing line. That worked very well actually but it was not loud and twangy enough. I started thinking, what if I bought steel wire in bulk, maybe a 1000 foot spool, how much would it cost? Can I save some money? Will it work? Can I really make my own guitar strings? I searched the Internet for bulk steel music wire and discovered that fishermen sometimes use steel wire for their rigs.

I visited a local fishing shop today and found American Fishing Wire company packages stainless steel leader wire in a variety of lengths and diameters. I bought a package of # 02 steel wire, 30 feet long in the smallest package and it cost $ 1.39 plus tax. A three feet length fits the guitar so there might be 10 strings in that package. Size # 02 looks to me to be about 0.010 inch diameter. Normally a string at the music store costs me a dollar so maybe I saved some money. I wrapped the wire around a tiny nail to anchor at the bridge.

OK I found a URL with specifications: http://www.americanfishingwire.com/products/toothproofstainless.html and the #02 size wire is 0.011 inch diameter so I was close.

Anyway I've been playing the guitar for a couple hours now and it sounds great, just like what I expect from a string from the music store.

I haven't tested this on an electric guitar. I wonder if it will work on an electric guitar because stainless steel is not magnetic but it might work.

Anyway it might be possible to buy stainless steel wire in bulk spools at fishing tackle shops and save some money.

• Members

IS THIS A JOKE??

Damn!! Some people have way too much free time on their hands. (And nails in their guitar bridges, too!)

You sure ain't gonna take a Florida vacation on the money you save. Oops, Sorry! I see you're already there.

• Members

I applaud your creativity!

As the savings are very small, I think for myself in this case, instead of going out and buying wire, I would have just bought guitar strings......

How ever at the same time, if people never tried different things, we would lack in new ideas, methods and inventions, And Yes even old standards can quite often be improved!

• Members

I'm all for DIY, heck, that's one reason why I love flintlock muzzle loaders. I can knap my own flints and cast my own lead balls but for gosh sakes, strings cost what, $5 bucks a pack. I think I'll just buy a few packs and put em' back for them times that they're needed.

• Members

When I was young and more interested in fishing than music, I recall that a mandolin A string was suggested for certain uses in crafting lures, bait harnesses and leaders. No reason it can't work, as long as it is the proper gauge and tension.

The revellation that stainless steel is not magnetic will be a great surprise to the scientific community. I hope there is some way you can reserve and protect this knowledge for your personal future profit. It will be a relief to my refrigerator, which has been holding up an array of magnetic doo-dads for years with no complaint. All the time and effort I wasted demagnetizing razor blades to edit magnetic recording tape... wasted. I've been such a fool.

Well, I can't wait to replace my other four bridge pins with carpet tacks as soon as you think of a good substitute for wound strings. Perhaps braided wire from screen doors? Always like to be on the cutting edge of technology.

• Members

It is often best to not be sarcastic, if you do not know the facts of what you are

going to be sarcastic about

The revellation that stainless steel is not magnetic will be a great surprise to the scientific community. I hope there is some way you can reserve and protect this knowledge for your personal future profit.It will be a relief to my refrigerator, which has beenholding up an array of magnetic doo-dads for yearswith no complaint. All the time and effort I wasteddemagnetizing razor blades to edit magnetic recording tape...wasted. I've been such a fool.

boxorox

There are many flavors of stainless steel. Some grades of Stainless are magnetic, Most common grades are non magnetic

304 stainless is the most common (about 50% of the worlds production). It is used in everything from cars and cookware to buildings and heavy construction equipment. What you need to know is that there is magnetic (400) and non-magnetic (300) stainless steel. 400 series stainless steel is not as durable or corrosion (rust) resistant at 300 series.

• Members

TESmith-- Thank you. I did not know that. Actually, it explains a lot of questions I've had about stainless over the last few decades but was too indifferent to ask. That wasn't snide. Metallurgy is a field I just leave to the experts. I firmly believe that the acquisition of too much specific knowledge can cause one's brain to explode.

I will defend my sarcasm, if not my ignorance, on the grounds that the OP seems to be joshing. Or Trolling. In the first case, it is for the amusement of us all. In the second, for his alone. At any rate, it's all in fun.

• Members

TESmith-- Thank you.I did not know that. Actually, it explains a lot of questions I've had about stainless over the last few decadesbut was too indifferent to ask.

Actually I would imagine it could be a common misconception, as you say magnets all over your fridge and it is stainless, so the asumption would be stainless is magnetic!

I grew up in a welding, fabricating, precision machine shop, and own a welding supply, Metals, metal working, and of course Metallurgy have been pounded into me for many years.

And Thanks for your response,

it's all in fun.

Sometimes the fun can be in the learning as well!

• Members

Thanks. I know something today I did not know yesterday. That's always one for the "win" column.

If the OP were in earnest, I'd have to say that buying sets in bulk is cheaper and easier, if you consider that a non-slip knot and a ball end are included in the price.

OP: Change your strings before they break. They become dead and unresponsive before they have the good manners to snap. They will be impossible to tune and will not play in tune. If one string breaks, change them all. The best guitar in the world will sound like crap if it doesn't have decent well balanced strings.

The foregoing is offered if you are in earnest. If you are not, you know what to do.

Archived