Michigan Guitars

Dave Pinchard

• Members

Hi everyone,

Has anyone heard of the "Michigan" guitar brand?

I have a parlour guitar,ladder braced,with a perloid finger board.It has brass frets and a slotted head.The top is bound with white paint [like my Harmony-Stella 12 string]

I used to have an old wooden bodied Dobro type spider resonator guitar.

It was also badged "Michigan".

I have tried to find a reference to this brand on the net but without any success. HELP

• Members

I have seen Harmony's with brass frets. Are yousure it is not of UK manufacture? If it is not, "Michigan" is as good a name as any. By that I mean that Kay, Harmony, even Gibson and Martin (I think) manufactured instruments for large retailers to the retailer's specs and under the retailer's "House" name. If you can find out if "Michigan" was a name used by a UK wholesaler/importer/retailer, it might answer some questions. The brass frets sound like a Harmony to me, but who knows? It's hard to track these things down.

• 12 years later...
  • Members
On 1/29/2009 at 10:41 PM, Dave Pinchard said:

Hi everyone,

Has anyone heard of the "Michigan" guitar brand?

I have a parlour guitar,ladder braced,with a perloid finger board.It has brass frets and a slotted head.The top is bound with white paint [like my Harmony-Stella 12 string]

I used to have an old wooden bodied Dobro type spider resonator guitar.

It was also badged "Michigan".

I have tried to find a reference to this brand on the net but without any success. HELP

Rob Tucker(unfortunately no longer with us) Who was lead guitarist with the Rustiks from Devon was previously lead player in a group called the Phantoms from Paignton and I’m sure he had a Michigan guitar which looked a bit like a Hofner Club 60  

john Libby

Archived