Alternatives to Martin 15 series

seraphim7s

• Members

Hi people,

I normally post on the bass forum, but my other love is acoustic guitar (typically piedmont style finger picking and RnR style flatpicking a la Keith Richards) and I've recently got back into acoustic guitar after around 18 months of solidly playing bass. I just got myself a Yamaha FG730S (natural finish), slapped on some 12s and got a proper set up done. It's a very fine guitar for the price.

Anyway, I'd love to have an acoustic set up for slide alone, in open D or G, heavy (14 for the high 'e') bronze strings, raised nut etc ... and I had my heart set on a Martin 000-15 but these currently retail at

• Members

Hi people,

I normally post on the bass forum, but my other love is acoustic guitar (typically piedmont style finger picking and RnR style flatpicking a la Keith Richards) and I've recently got back into acoustic guitar after around 18 months of solidly playing bass. I just got myself a Yamaha FG730S (natural finish), slapped on some 12s and got a proper set up done. It's a very fine guitar for the price.

Anyway, I'd love to have an acoustic set up for slide alone, in open D or G, heavy (14 for the high 'e') bronze strings, raised nut etc ... and I had my heart set on a Martin 000-15 but these currently retail at

• Members

Don't know how much these go for in blighty, but how about a Guild GAD-25:

337166.jpg

A lovely, woody-sounding tone monster. I loved mine.

If you want to hear a GAD-25, here is a song I recorded with mine. I had it tuned down and it's rather dark and spacey, but that was to fit the mood of the song. Everyone that's heard this git loves it.

http://media.putfile.com/I-Want-More-76

• Members

No, that's not a necessity.

As long as it has the tonal characteristics of the all mahogonay 15 series, then I'm okay!

I don't think that's possible. Those guitars have a specific bracing pattern integral to it's tone. Other Martins have that pattern but no other co's use it. Martin calls it "1 Style A-frame".

But the old Harmony H165 is a good suggestion.

• Members

This may be a reasonable alternative, as long as you don't expect quite the same resonance of the all-solid 15 Series:

I've got one of these Alvarez RF20SM models. I happened to try it at the store last summer. It amazed me for the price ($240.00), and I had to have it. I also have a Martin 000-15S that I love. I keep the Alv at work. I lowered the action quite a bit so that you can't strum it hard. But it plays nearly like an electric (I can't make a lot of noise at work anyway..)

Yes, it sounds like the Martin 15 series to some degree because it is mahogany... I like this guitar and recommend it. Also, it has tall frets that can be leveled several times after you play the smack out if it.

• Members

I'm not sure how many Harmony guitars might be available in the UK, but if you can find one of these old beauties that's in good shape, their tones are heavenly. I used to have one and sorely miss it.

Here's a pic and also a link to more pics and some good info:
http://harmony.demont.net/guitars/H165/89.htm

Harmony H165

H165_01.jpg

Obligatory ELVIS Harmony demo IMBED!

[YOUTUBE]3GUISm1-t60[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]UqPI7XKPvxo[/YOUTUBE]

Archived