Why Martin???

TN.Frank

• Members

Of all the guitar companies in the world why is Martin THE guitar company? I mean, Blueridge and Recording King both build "Martin Like" guitars, shouldn't they sound just like a Martin? What is it or what does Martin do to make them so disirable by everyone? Do they have some kind of magic dust they sprinkle over thier guitars or what. It seems like given the same wood and same basic building techniques you'd get a guitar that'd sound pretty much the same no matter what the company name.

Also, in a similar note, why does Martin charge $2500 when another company can build a pretty much identical guitar for $500. Is it all pretty much the name and reputation that Martin has built over the years that make them command such a higher price then some of the newer but equally as good companies like Blueridge?

I don't want to turn this into a "for" or "against" Martin thread, I just can't understand why they're THE guitar when there's so many other great guitars and guitar manufactures out there.

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Resale value?

That might be a big part of it. More of an investment then purely a good playing guitar. I've known people to buy cars for that reason. The cars are all that great, it's just the investment potential is really good. Like a '57 Chevy, not really that great of a car by todays standards but it will be worth a lot more in 5 years then my Neon,LOL.

• Members

Because:

- they've been in business for 175 years whereas many of the "competitors" have been in business for just a few decades at most.

- they created many modern guitar models such as the dreadnought and the orchestra model (OM) which the "competitors" have either emulated or all-out copied.

...I'll give you the benefit of the doubt regarding the pricing though. IMO their "low end" guitars are grossly overpriced, as are other "established" builders' lines.

• Members

The cheapest "decent" Martin I've seen is $800 bucks. For the same money I can get a middle to higher end Recording King, Blueridge or Yamaha that'd probably sound just as good. I think it's still more reputation and headstock name then actually sound quality.

• Members

It's like you've been reading my mind. I can't argue with one thing you've said, and I've played as many Martins as the next guy. I truly believe I could buy an HD-28 and never miss the money it costs me to do it. But, in my opinion, they're simply not worth the asking price....not when you consider all the other really good guitars out there for a lot less money. I don't need a guitar to brag about. Besides, who would I brag to?......guys who don't give a damn what I've got and others guys who already have one. It's like moving in a ritzy neighborhood and bragging to your nextdoor neighbor about how nice your house is.....your neighbor's got one too!!

A good, well built, FG720S (like you already have) or FG730S (which, is going to be my next purchase) is a much bigger bang for the buck and will last just as long as any Martin out there. AND, as far as the sound goes, the Martins sound great...........and.....SO DO A LOT OF OTHER GUITARS!

• Members

I just wonder if C.F.Martin started their company today would they be able to charge as much for their guitars as they do or would they be more in line with Blueridge and Recording King for what they offer.

Any company starting out today, has a lot of headwind to overcome. I won't pretend to know what they'd price their guitars at, if they were starting out. You need to compare apples to apples though, not compare them to off-shore made guitars.

• Members

I wouldn't say Martin is THE guitar company... some prefer Gibsons or Taylors or other. They do make amazing acoustic guitars though. The D28 and D18 have a sound that you cannot get from any other. As for the lower end ones, that's a whole different ball game. Those aren't really what I think of when I think "Martin."

• Members

QC maybe? unique sound? Resale value?

subscribed since im curious as well.

I have a close friend who owns four Martins......all bought new. He's got about $15K tied up in 'em. Their current resale market value, according to HIM, is about half that. He'll more than likely be dead before they're worth MORE than what he's got "invested". No kids to leave 'em to. Who's gonna reap a harvest on these?

• Members

The cheapest "decent" Martin I've seen is $800 bucks. For the same money I can get a middle to higher end Recording King, Blueridge or Yamaha that'd probably sound just as good. I think it's still more reputation and headstock name then actually sound quality.

800 bucks can get you a heck of a Martin the D-15. Take your pick of all mahogany, or spruce top/ mahogany, or spruce top/ rosewood. That guitar sounds better than anything I have tried in the 500-1500 dollar range (perhaps I am biased I have a spruce/rosewood Martin guitar). It is a simple guitar, no fancy inlays, no frills, but it outright sounds fantastic and the quality it stellar. You look on the inside with a mirror, and everything is perfect. No loose wood, no chips none of the junk I found with many other guitars in that price range, especially the Chineese ones. Then there is the warranty, they flat out take care of the customer for life. If anything fails on a Martin guitar they will repair it free of charge aside from true wear and tear for life (and they dont seem to play games, they really take care of it, no questions asked). Plus they are made in the USA in a factory that is in many ways the same as it has been for ages. Watch the video tour on the Harmony Central home page of the factory, it blew me away.

I did like Seagull for quality (sound was not as good as Martin in my opinion), Taylor (nice, but none in the 800 dollar price range) ,and Yamaha seems to make some great guitars in Japan.

These are pictures of a 800 dollar Martin:

The sitka spruce is tight

3242886708_0c4d551717.jpg

The book-ends are pefectly matched

3242051515_8e3b1c1d61.jpg

The inside is nealry flawless

3242045431_0d7bda3886.jpg

• Members

Why did he buy them? Because he enjoys playing Martins, or for an investment? Seems to me, if he enjoys them, that's all that matters.

Yeah.....I understand all that. But, my comment was to another forum member who mentioned "resale value" as a good reason to buy a Martin. I don't think resale value should be taken into account on any brand of guitar unless it's some exotic collector's version.....and Martin doesn't build any of those. Those just "happen" over a period of many years......this friend has a D-41, a D-35, a D-28 Marquis and an HD-28CW.......none of which, I don't think anyway, are considered "exotic" OR "collectible"......but, I'm sure he loves all of them. He just ain't gonna get rich "reselling" any of 'em! Not for a long time, anyway. That's all I was saying.

• Members

Of all the guitar companies in the world why is Martin THE guitar company? I mean, Blueridge and Recording King both build "Martin Like" guitars, shouldn't they sound just like a Martin?

They're shaped like Martins, therefore they must play and sound like them? They're also shaped like Collings, SC's and Dudenbostels, so they must play and sound like those too. :facepalm:

Archived