Tanglewood TW115 AS

OldGuitarPlayer

• Members

Ok..as stated in a previous post I did try out a Tanglewood the other day. Well I thought I had tried the TW15 NS but I had actually tried a TW115 AS (unless they switched them on me). You see I went back today to try it again and this time I looked inside and sure enough it's the TW115 AS with all solid wood contstruction and...I think I want this guitar bad...:love:

I tried playing a few of my favorite fingerstyle tunes on it and it sounded awesome. Beautiful tone..deep bass and well pronounced mids and nice thick high end. I don't think it had mediums on it but...I could just imagine the tone if it did...:eek:

It's light in weight and plays like butter...the only way I can describe it is like having Gibson style jumbo frets on a Martin style dread acoustic. The action for my style of playing was almost perfect..maybe a tad too low but pretty darn good. Frets looked pretty even too when I sighted down the neck. No string buzz or fretting out anywhere and very good intonation. I managed to get some good volume out of it too while flatpicking and digging in more while finger picking. I might be putting it on lay-away tomorrow...:facepalm:

• Members

Ok..as stated in a previous post I did try out a Tanglewood the other day. Well I thought I had tried the
TW15 NS
but I had actually tried a
TW115 AS
(unless they switched them on me). You see I went back today to try it again and this time I looked inside and sure enough it's the TW115 AS with all solid wood contstruction and...I think I want this guitar bad...
:love:

I tried playing a few of my favorite fingerstyle tunes on it and it sounded awesome. Beautiful tone..deep bass and well pronounced mids and nice thick high end. I don't think it had mediums on it but...I could just imagine the tone if it did...
:eek:

It's light in weight and plays like butter...the only way I can describe it is like having Gibson style jumbo frets on a Martin style dread acoustic. The action for my style of playing was almost perfect..maybe a tad too low but pretty darn good. Frets looked pretty even too when I sighted down the neck. No string buzz or fretting out anywhere and very good intonation. I managed to get some good volume out of it too while flatpicking and digging in more while finger picking. I might be putting it on lay-away tomorrow...
:facepalm:

you've been well and truly hooked and will not have a happy life until you have this guitar :lol: Seriously though - congrats on finding one that ticks all the boxes for you, we hear nothing but good things about Tanglewoods. The goat pics are ready .............. :thu:

• Members

Well...if this is an example of Tanglewoods quality I have to say it puts the Epi Masterbilt line to shame. I mean....it's less than $500 and has all these amazing features. Solid spruce top, solid african mahogany, mahogany neck, grovers very nice satin type finsish. Not only that but it is a real player. The neck is very comfy and didn't cause my left hand any fatigue. I wish I had looked harder at this brand a few years back when the store was carrying the whole line. Now they only carry this one and I think it's the last one at that. That's why it's on sale.

• Members

Hi Tracy,

Tanglewood's TW115AS has the laminate sides and solid African mahogany back combination, with slightly different finish (Hardware and trim) spec., but if you're very happy with it's performance just wait until you've tried it's all solid counterpart. The TW15NS. :thu: You'll be over the moon. ;)

TW115AS from their Premier Range

http://www.tanglewoodguitars.co.uk/products/default.asp?cID=26463187&sID=26465117

TW15NS from their Sundance Range

http://www.tanglewoodguitars.co.uk/products/default.asp?cID=26463178&sID=26465104

• Members

Hi Tracy,

Tanglewood's TW115AS has the laminate sides and solid African mahogany back combination, with slightly different finish (Hardware and trim) spec., but if you're very happy with it's performance just wait until you've tried it's all solid counterpart. The TW15NS.
:thu:
You'll be over the moon.
;)

TW115AS from their Premier Range

http://www.tanglewoodguitars.co.uk/products/default.asp?cID=26463187&sID=26465117

TW15NS from their Sundance Range

http://www.tanglewoodguitars.co.uk/products/default.asp?cID=26463178&sID=26465104

Ahhh...ok...Gary, thanks for that info but now I am confused. :confused: The version in your link says it has Kluson Style machine heads but the one I tried has Grovers. I guess they must have upgraded them.

These two websites that sell the TW115 AS show it as having "solid mahogany back and sides": http://www.dv247.com/invt/38961/

This one refers to "solid African mahogany": http://bestmusicshop.com.au/tanglewood_tw115_as_ce_electro_acoustic_guitar-details-275.php?&manufacturers_id=29

This site refers to it as having "bonded mahogany": http://www.guitarbitz.com/413.htm

I also see that there was also a TW115 ST version that is the one with solid back & sides. I had no idea that there where two versions.

Well...the fact that it has laminate sides doesn't really diminish it any to me since it sounds and plays so great! I have no problem with laminate for the body as my Taylor 114 has an all laminate sepele body and I love it's sound. To me it's the solid top that is important. I may just see if I can find the TW15 NS all solid version though...just to try it out of course...:facepalm:

Here is a pic of the one I am taking about...

Tanglewood%20TW115%20AS.jpg

• Members

I was gonna say BUY THAT PUPPY, until I read Gary's post above.

Wait... Try the TW15NS first. Hold back. Resist. Pause for reflection. Have a cheezburger
:)

Ha ha! :lol: Yes!!...I did think of that! It's not the fact that it has laminate sides that's the real issue..it's the money. I really should be using the cash for ummm...more important things...:facepalm:

• Members

You did not like it this much when it was part laminate, are you sure it's the same guitar?

Jim

Yes..I'm sure...:lol: The the thing that is funny is I originally went to the store looking to find a beater...like an inexpensive Yamaha. I need something to play on the street. I just happened to try the Tanglewood too....

• Members

I can easily understand how solid wood makes a significant difference in tone and sound. I guess the most important area would be on the top, and to a lesser degree on the back, and less yet on the sides. How much difference can the sides make?

Laminated sides would eliminate a critical area prone to cracking, in addition to cutting the cost a bit, without a significant sacrifice in sound or tone. Sounds like the best of both worlds. I wonder if more makers aren't going to start doing this in the future.

• Members

The sides of a guitar contribute very little to the sound - current thinking on % sound split of the guitar body is: top - 85%, bottom - 10%, rest of the guitar - 5%.

My Crafter TD06/N has solid spruce top, solid mahogany back and laminate mahogany sides (so Crafter was producing this type of guitar over 5 years ago). When I bought it I compared it to it's sister model the SD008/N which was identical except for solid sides - I couldn't hear any difference at all.

So I bought the TD06 and saved myself

• Members

The lam sided TW115 was intended as a progressive replacement for the solid sided TW15, but the newby tends to have less resonance or tonal punch when directly compared with the veteran. I suppose this is why the well recognised TW15 remained, whilst the TW115 became a very welcome addition to Tanglewood's lineup.

Both are great guitars that are certainly capable of delivering what's asked of them.

--------

The jury is still out on the subject of whether or not lam or solid sides make a difference, but - IMHO - so much depends upon the overall spec of the instrument.

Factors such as bracing, timber thicknessing, glues used, bridge size and weight, etc., all influence output, but if you make the sides more rigid - by using a denser laminate or thicker timber than normal - the result tends to be a more subdued tonal output. This can then lead to a need to lighten the build with the intention of increasing responsiveness and achieving a match between a lam sider and it's solid sided counterpart, but then runs the potential risk of premature carcass distortion/failure.

Such "improvements" can create a domino effect and - in turn - lead to the premature need for a neck re-set, seam/joint failure, or timber failure/distortion along/across the grain.

• Members

Agreed-- I don't think laminate sides would be an issue regarding tone, and could be an advantage in/re structural integrity.

+1, seems like the top is 1st on the "tone" list then the back and I'm not sure the sides have that much to do with it. Laminate sides might be best if it'll be used outside or if you can't control the humidity as well as you'd like. :thu:

• 11 years later...
  • Members

I bought my TW-115 AS in the Spring of 2009 and it has been my go to player ever since. I can’t believe the beautiful rich sound I get from this awesome piece of craftsmanship. I’ve busked outside with it in the summer and folks have commented on how great it sounds outside. I play with quite a few other folks and the Tanglewood always seems brighter and louder than many other brands. I do suffer from GAS (guitar acquisition syndrome) but I have not found an acoustic that I would consider replacing my TW-115 AS with. 

Archived