Public Domain Songs

Stackabones

• Members

So, what songs do you play in your sets, in your homes, at jams, that are PD?

Out of the several hours of music I know by heart, I can only think of a few.

I do solo guitar arrangements of Fur Elise, Old MacDonald, Twinkle Twinkle Little Star. And that's it in the PD realm. Nothing vocal that I can recall.

Is the Banana Boat Song (Day-O) PD as well? I think Belafonte probably owns the copyright to most of those tunes from Calypso.

In one of the guitar methods I use there are pages of PD tunes, but I don't perform those too often.

• Members

With the exception of Metallica does any band really care if you play their songs. LOL.

I thought that anything over 20 years old was PD, I'm probably wrong though. It would be nice to find out though.
:thu:

I'm not concerned about copyright infringement, just curious about PD songs in anyone's repertoire.

If 20 years were the limit for PD, then all those hair metal power ballads are PD. And we know that ain't so.

fyi...

Wiki PD

http://www.pdinfo.com/index.php

• Members

Well, I think that we all sing PD songs at Christmas time. Actually, any song published before 1922 is in the PD. Those of us that attempt an Irish ballad or two are in the PD, such as Drunken Sailor. Right now th only song that I can think of that I do regularly in the PD is Duncan & Brady.

Bob

• Members

Shenandoah

America the Beautiful

Sailors Hornpipe

Star Spangled Banner

Cripple Creek

Danny Boy (Londonderry Aire)

Simple Gifts

Ave Maria

copyright laws are different in Europe than they are in the US.

and remember: never, never, never play Happy Birthday; property of that wonderful songwriter, Time Warner.

All material published on the Time Warner is protected by copyright and owned or controlled by Time Warner or the party credited as the provider of the content, software or other material.

Neither Time Warner nor any other party involved in creating, producing or delivering the website shall be liable for any direct, incidental, consequential, indirect or punitive damages arising out of Users' access to, or use of, the website. The Time Warner Telecom website does not guarantee the accuracy of information provided by external sources and accepts no responsibility or liability for any consequences arising from the use of such data.

Though Time Warner uses the best technical standards to control its site, material on this website may inadvertently include technical inaccuracies or other errors. We should be grateful if users could notify us of any errors or inaccuracies they may find. Please note that users browse and use the website at their own risk. Time Warner does not warrant that the functional aspects of the website will be uninterrupted or error free or that this website, or the server that makes it available, are free or viruses or other harmful components. Time Warner may change material on the site without prior notice.

Time Warner may contain links and references to third-party websites. These are provided for the convenience and interest of users and on the part of Time Warner this implies neither responsibility for, nor approval of, information contained in these websites. Time Warner makes no warranty, either express or implied, as to the accuracy, availability or content of information, text, graphics which are not under the 'esa.int' domain. Time Warner has not tested any software located on other sites and does not make any representation as to the quality, safety, reliability or suitability of such software.

The contents of the Time Warner website are intended for the personal and non-commercial use of its users. Time Warner grants permission to users to visit the site, and to download and copy information, images, documents and materials from the website for users' personal non-commercial use. Time Warner does not grant the right to resell or redistribute any information, documents, images or material from its website or to compile or create derivative works from material on its website. Use of material on the website is subject to the terms and conditions outlined below.

For any further information regarding the Time Warner website please contact TimeWarner@timewarner.int

• Members

A couple hundred songs I learned in the Ozarks, the Congo, and in Europe/other travels.

Off the top of my head:

Pretty Polly

Gallant Vanity

The Farmer's Curst Wife

All Around My Hat

The Bailiff's Daughter of Islington

Black is the Color of My True Love's Hair

Fairwell To Tarwathie

The Female Highwayman

Greenland Whale Fisheries

Gypsy Davy

The Knight and the Shepherd's Daughter

The Minstral Boy

The Rose of Tralee

Scarborough Fair

The Four Marys

Cocaine Dun Kilt My Baby

Banaha

Mikomba

Lord Rendall

Reuben Ranzo

Married to a Mermaid

The Keeper of the Eddystone Light

Kamimbi

Sally Don't You Grieve

The Black Knight And The Child In The Road

Bury Me Beneath The Willow

Aura Lee

Maningi Daba

Barbara Allen

Willie The Weeper and Minnie The Mooch

Bunch more in my notebooks. :)

• Members

I have a few Canadian folkie PD songs that I do occasionally:

Farewell to Nova Scotia

I'se the Bye

A La Claire Fontaine

...one that I do occasionally....Spanish is a lovin' tongue....I do it as it was originally written. ....

I love this song - I attempt (feebly) to copy the Ian & Sylvia version. The way Ian cries out "Adios Me Corazon" in the last verse makes my hair stand up.

Archived