Do you still create physical CDs?

• Moderators

price point is the key, and perceived value is difficult to judge. I rarely see anyone charging more than $10 (~8 euros) per disc, even with great art, booklets, etc. Certainly there is profit to be made there, but not enough bones to pick the meat off.

• Members

thats true... the value you put on it will be key, BUT its down to your marketing to put the price on it.
a run of 50 cds, full printed, 16 page booklet, cased and wrapped would cost no more than £220. you sell em as very limited edition at £15 and you can make £500 from it. That more than pays for the studio time biggrin.gif

• Members

If you put on a good show and tell people 'we've got CDs in the back', people will buy them.

If you put on a good show and tell people 'go home and download us on iTunes/bandcamp/whatever', they will have forgotten by the time they get home.

That's been my experience, and that's about the only reason any of my bands make CDs - to have something immediately available to physically hand a potential fan before they're distracted by the nine bazillion other sources of entertainment out there.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by aj_guitarist View Post
Its how you market them. If you say its a limited Edition, signed by the band, plus some extras then sure it worth it. But just paying £20 for a normal CD, no chance.
Not a chance!

Not even the monsters of rock charge that for an album. They'll include either double disc, large booklet and a DVD for that price

• 4 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • Members

Yep. I sell them at shows mainly and there are people who still want them online. I try to sell my music everywhere and in any format that is feasible (no vinyl... yet) and offer links to as man of those places as I can on my site.

Some poeple are big on trying to funnel sales through 1 or 2 sites but I figure, why should I make someone interested in buying/consuming my music jump through hoops. I leave it up to them. If they are comfortable with iTunes, great. If they use Spotify or whereever else, thats cool too. I just want to lower the barriers to entry.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Yes totally agree, bring physical CD's to your shows. I would also go as far as set up a table at the gig and have a friend there to sell your CD's and possible other items like T-Shirts. You can announce from the stage you have CD's and T-shirts available at the table and if your band is good people will respond and buy them!

Archived