VOM 13 -- Virtual Open Mic @ HCAG, Second Sunday, February 8, 2009

Stackabones

• Members

Here's some more of my reviews. This is through page two for me.

Stackabones - Daht was smoking mahn! Very cool little diddy. You're a genius.

Sangemon - A lovely tune. Reminds of a Paul Simon or Simon and Garfunkel. To me, it had a Mrs Robinson-esque feel to it. Great tune and I played it a second time just so I could read the Sarah Palin lyrics in my head.

Diceman - Great first VOM. Good choice. It showcases your great voice. Guitar is sounding good too.

reydavies - Awesome. Toe-tappin' good tune. You need to hook up with Totamus.

Jimmy Chaos - Cool song, JC. I like the opening riff. Very cool.

riffmeister - What a beautiful piece, and so nicely done too. Fantastic.

Highstrung - Excellent. That was a good production and wonderful playing. You should be proud.

BigAld18 - Ya done good, BigAl. Don't sell yourself short. That was cool.

frankiej - Very nice. I loved the chord progression and melody. Beautiful. You're right about the sound being a little out of balance, but it still sounded good.

Whalebot - Another great tune, Whale. Interesting title given this past week's thread.

bobc - Outstanding job for just learning the piano. I can't wait to hear more.

pschaafs - Had to listen to the lo-fi version. Even then there was a little thumping going on and the voice was kinda quiet. Nice tune though. It's writing like this that makes my covers seem weak.

Tupelo Son - Man, I thought I clicked on a Bob Dylan link by accident. Excellent tune. Great lyrics. Well done.

OldGuitarPlayer - Cool tune. Was it written from experience? :)

Melodeous - A little distorted on my end, but a great job nonetheless. I love that song, but curiously, I never tried to learn it. I've done others, but not that one. Very nice.

rhythmdoctor - You know, some people have a hard time trying to sing and play at the same time and then you come along and add the foot drums. Very nice job. I liked the tune but with my weak ears I couldn't make out all the lyrics. Well done.

I hope to finish listening later today and tonight. Great job everyone! :thu:

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Sorry I didn't get to post....I ended up out of town this weekend and didn't have a guitar with me. I was at the Gasparilla festival and the wife and I stayed overnight at a friends house rather than trek home late. Anyhow, got to listen to most of you this morning. If I miss anyone, I'll go back and add a comment. Didn't get my Penco (avatar) back in time, I'm expecting it to be done today. I hope.

Garthman: Love those melodies you choose. That Crafter sound wonderfully bright which helped to offset those "Cold Blows and Rainy Nights".

Tbryson: uncanny how that pic looks just like my best friends back yard! Nice job.

Totamus: A great tune, but I don't seem to be able to get my damn feet from tapin!

MrMoe: Love that tune....and the guitar sounds great.

Fussenkuh: a very cool song.:thu:

G6120: A good song for your voice and style of playing!

Michael Martin: Nice song, it reminded me of Pink Floyd's sound.

Stakabones: A really fun song. Makes me want to dance with a beer in my hand on a sandy beach!

Sangamon: Your best yet! A great year behind your belt...it only gets better!

Diceman1000: 10 months and still playing...I think its going to stick...good job.

ReyDavies: Love those "rags" tunes. I think you enjoyed playing it as much as I enjoyed listening.....nice job.

Jimmy Chaos: Boy did that remind me of something...Bus Stop by the Hollies!

Riffmeister: Sorry, Couldn't open it....????? Anyone else having that problem?

HighStrung: Nice Pickin'

Bigold18: I was really hoping it was going to be a video. I really wanted to see that Yami in action.....great song.

FrankieJ: A little too many effects for my liking, but really well done.

Whalebot: I love a song everyone can identify with.....Nice git and recording stuff!

bobc: Liked the playing.....especially the guitar part in the middle:thu:

Pschaffs: Eddie Arnold is on of those artists whose songs I rarely listen to, but then when I hear one, ask myself why? Great job.

Tupelo Son: Too much grey.....like my sunshine:thu: good job.

OGP: I think the "dime store" mic adds to the song! I can't believe how identical that song is to John Prine's " Dear Abby"...even the lyrics are the same in spots.....check it out on U-tube, you won't believe it!

Melodeus: Very nice song, and equally good performance.

Rhythm Doctor: I liked the guitar.......but lose the foot drum.;)

Queegueg: A very nice song. Your guitar has wonderful brightness.

Galabar: Short & Sweet, both songs.

Smebobberoo8675: Glad to see ya here. We don't have enough lefties...nice song!

Gthom: Sight reading.....wow...your my envy....nice work.

Northstar...first great pics(k), and the playing was nice too.

Staka+: How does one break bread? I tear it. Cool song.

Rhancox: Nice job. Browne is one of those guys that has a voices that sounds easy, but isn't. One of my fav songs of his.

Mattskibaisgod: especially liked the closeup on the guitar! I don't miss my Chicago winters one bit. After 50 years of them, I gladly said goodbye...I appreciate the reminder. :thu:

• Members

Hi folks,
Thanks for the kind words and I have been listening to this months submissions and again it has been most entertaining. I won't comment individually as that would take up too much space but I love the VOM and think everyone here should be proud of what they have submitted. It's all fantastic!!! The tune I submitted is not an original but an old tune I lifted off of a Ramblin' Jack Elliott tape years ago. I guess I should have made mention of that in my original post.

• Members

Okay, I think I've made it through them all today. I'm about to leave work so I don't have time to go through them all one by one, but I will say that these are a great way to kick off year 2 of this.

Gthom: Sight reading.....wow...your my envy....nice work.

Thanks! In the interest of full disclosure I'll note that I most definitely did not sight read this piece - if by "sight reading" you mean "playing it straight from the sheet music without ever having played it before." My wife can attest to many many hours of me and a metronome trying to figure out how to do tremelo on that tune.

What's funny is that I've played that tune enough to know it by heart, but I've always felt more comfortable having the music in front of me for some reason. It was the same for me growing up playing piano.

• Members

rhancox.......they say that you'll always remember where you were when John Kennedy was shot, when John Lennon died and when you realized what Jackson Browne was talking about in this song.....

I must say, I am embarrased to admit this, but the thought actually crossed my mind for the first time last week as I was thinking about the song. I never thought about it any other way, until last week.

Now is that funny or what?

• Members

OK, here's the rest of my reviews. Great job everyone. I counted 31 submissions this month. Nice turnout.

Queequeg - Beautiful job. I love that song. It's become quite the popular tune at debuts and wedding receptions here in SA. I suppose it's true elsewhere.

Galabar - You've got the roots to some pretty cool tunes. I see you also have a favorite endng too.

smebobberoo8675 - Very cool song. Nicely done.

hypcollector - Interesting tune. Without any backing lead, there seemed too much without words at one point. I like the lyrics and the "attitude" you put behind it.

gthom - Wow. Awesome playing. I'm not a big fan of classical but that was a nice tune. You are very good at what you do.

Northstar - Beautiful sound to that Blueridge. I got lost in the music and slide show. Very nice production.

Stack/hypcollector - You guys are too much. When are you going on the road?

MattSkibaIsGod - Nice tune, but as with some others, my ears couldn't make out much of the words. A little muddled. Liked the sound of it. It's one I'd like to learn.

Another VOM done. Can't wait until next month.

• Members
Garthman - cool song, really tells a story. I like the hesitation between verses, adds suspense!

tbryson - I liked the vibrato in your voice, great job!

totamus - catchy groove on that one, fo' sho'!

mrmoe - hey! you ened on the 5 chord! :) great song and delivery as usual!

FussenKuh - nifty playing, I liked that one a lot!

g6120 - great collaboration with your lyricist, I thought it worked very well.

MM - very nice tune, it had a Moody Blues vibe about it.

Stack - loved every second of that one! and is it my imagination or is "home cookin" a catch phrase for something else?? ;)

Sangemon - excellent rendition of a great tune. coincidentally, I just learned that one, too, for a student of mine.

dicemann100 - excellent, keep up the good work, you are on your way!

reydavies - DUDE! that was frickin' awesome and you handled those big jumps with ease!!

Jimmy Chaos - excellent work......and those bridge pins ROCK! :D

highstrung - sounds like an Irish fiddle tune, great job!!

bigald18 - classic blues tune, great job! and keep on working on that fingerpicking!

frankiej - sounded Satriani-inspired. I liked the volume swells you used, that's always been one of my favorite techniques on the electric guitar.

whale - excellent! I liked the tempo.....lots of "space" between the phrases.....lets the lyrics really sink in.

bobc - piano.....way to go! nice composition with catchy beat and I like the little improv section.

Tupelo Son - great song, great voice, and nice driving rhythm guitar!

OGP - excellent in every way.....and with nice deep voice! :)

Melodeous - the ref threw a flag on that one......clipping! :) too bad because I think there was a good performance in there.

Rhythmdoctor - nice sing' strummin' and drummin' ! :D

Q - great changes in that one, minor ninth chords always sound so good on the guitar......

Galabar - are you sure that wasn't in C? :) capo always adds a nice dimension. what were the three parts, all 'noodling'? (sounded like a real song in there)

smebobberoo - a lefty! your voice sounded just fine to me, nice job!

hypollector - nice groove going on that one and good performance!

gthom - the i & m part needs to come out a bit more. gotta love them Carcassi etudes!! :)

northstar - nice ambience you created on that piece, and nice job holding onto the pick! :)

rhancox - classic JB, and with a hidden meaning! thanks!

MSIG - as always, very nicely done! (but turn up the vocals a bit next time)

• Members

.....5 chord?......seemed like a good idea at the time.....thanx!

Yeah, I like it. The 5 chord resolves to the 1 chord 99% of the time, so ending on the 5 chord makes a for a bit of a surprise or gives the feeling of unfinished business or that something will be following so stay tuned. In the key of C the 5 chord is G. Not too many songs in the key of C end on a G chord. It is definitely a cool effect, IMO.

• Members

gthom
- the i & m part needs to come out a bit more. gotta love them Carcassi etudes!!
:)

Thanks, riff. I imagine part of my problem on this is that to make the bass melody come out I really focused on it. Plus my thumb nail was really long (which you can even see in the video) whereas my other nails weren't so much. But I appreciate hearing your thoughts and hope to have this cleaned up sooner or later.

And great job on your submission. :thu:

• Members
Galabar
- are you sure that wasn't in C?
:)
capo always adds a nice dimension. what were the three parts, all 'noodling'? (sounded like a real song in there)

Yeah, those tunes (in C) sounded a bit better to me capoed at the 3rd fret. They were two variations of "Wildwood Flower" sandwiching "Serenade" from Mel Bay Grade 1.

Archived