VOM 13 -- Virtual Open Mic @ HCAG, Second Sunday, February 8, 2009

Stackabones

• Members

Damon, think about taking a few lessons from a good teacher. It will make a TREMENDOUS difference. I began as you did, just trying to figure it all out by myself, and it is SO much more work that way. The teachers know all the tricks, and the shortcuts, and little things that make all the difference in controlling the sounds that you make. Can you figure it out yourself? Sure, but it will take a lot longer.

that's my next step sir...now that i'm going back to first shift at work i can get some lessons:thu:

Damon

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

garthman
cool song. nice job.

tbryson
i like the vox. nice song.

totamus
nice job to you both. cool

mrmoe
nice mellow song. great guitar as ussual.

FussenKuh
nice job.

g6120
wow. very heartfelt man. great job.

Michael Martin
i miss her now too and dont even know her. great job.

Stackabones
dude that was SICK! you win this one. awesome job.

Sangemon
very nice job.

diceman1000
nice job and nice vox too.

reydavies
wow! you got skills man! great original too.

Jimmy Chaos
nice job on that one.

riffmeister
great playing man. it was like a journey.

highstrung
nice job. very well done.

bigald18
cool song. great job and welcome to VOM.

frankiej
that is great stuff man. beautiful melody. you need to take that to the top.

Whalebot
very nice song. is it an original?

pschaafs
great song and very nice performance.

Tupelo Son
great original. did anyone ever tell you you sound a bit like dylan?

OldGuitarPlayer
nice one. good job.

Melodeous
sounds like you are clipping but very nice song and performance.

rhythmdoctor
nice job. you got that drum thing down pretty good.

Queequeg
i love that song and you did a very nice job on it.

Galabar
thats pretty darn good for just noodling. nice job.

smebobberoo8675
great job and nice vox.

• Members

Hey folks, sorry I haven't been around and didn't record anything for this VOM. School's keeping me pretty busy. But I wanted to drop in with a couple of thoughts:

Bot- The sound is really great in your video. Nice job.

Queg- I love the sound of that guitar. Someday when we're all playing those, I want one that sounds like yours.

Stack-
Very cute song. I liked it a lot, plus the fun little solo was the icing on the cake.

MM- I am a sucker for a V-7 (or a lower-case "v" for you folks who analyze classical music) chord, and you have made excellent use of it. Cool song.

Riff- Very slick, playing beautiful music on guitars you're trying to unload. I don't think I've ever seen better marketing; it makes me think that if I had one of those in my hands, I could magically play like that.

• Members

So I hate to do the monthly excuses and mishaps post...but here's the deal -

I intended on recording the old anonymous tune "spanish romance" or whatever (in line with the valentine's theme), but this afternoon when I got around to recording I ended up with a better take of Carcassi's Op. 60 No. 7 (with a few mistakes, and a bit out of tune). But I take what I can get.

But the real issue is that I recorded it with the regular setting (rather than condensed) on my camera and the file ended up being 180 megs (rather than about 18). The sound and video quality were much better but, after about 90 minutes trying to upload to youtube I got an error message. Rather than try again with the huge .avi file, I decided to convert to mpeg4 and do it that way. that got the file down to 10 megs, but it also sounds weird and tinny. So I'm sorry about that and will try to fix it this week...but I don't have that kind of time tonight, so here it is:

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

• Members
Bread & Wine

That's me on vox/uke and hypcollector (Paul Gorman) on git/vox.

I wrote this tune this afternoon just before Mass, and Paul added a verse just before I dropped by the Hypnotist Collector Studios for a ... um ... session. ;)

We ran through this a couple of times and then did a couple of takes. This is the third take ... after a little wine.

• Members

As promised..... well, not like y'all were waiting impatiently or were going to hold me to it, but, here is my VOM submission for this month.

The song is Rosie, by Jackson Browne.

I've been playing this tune since it first came out. It could be interpreted as a "lost out on love" song or maybe even about self-gratification, that's up to you. But it's my Valentine's Day offering.

I did this in one take. I wasn't 100% happy with the beginning but the rest of it was to my liking so one take it is. It is done with my 12-string, recorded with one mic through a Lexicon Omega USB audio interface using CuBase LE.

The picture with the link is not the one I wanted but YouTube isn't giving me a choice yet. Anyway....

I hope you like it.

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

• Members
As promised..... well, not like y'all were waiting impatiently or were going to hold me to it, but, here is my VOM submission for this month.

The song is Rosie, by Jackson Browne.

I've been playing this tune since it first came out. It could be interpreted as a "lost out on love" song or maybe even about self-gratification, that's up to you. But it's my Valentine's Day offering.

I did this in one take. I wasn't 100% happy with the beginning but the rest of it was to my liking so one take it is. It is done with my 12-string, recorded with one mic through a Lexicon Omega USB audio interface using CuBase LE.

The picture with the link is not the one I wanted but YouTube isn't giving me a choice yet. Anyway....

I hope you like it.

Well done! :thu::thu::thu: That 12 string sounds fantastic. Is that the Yamaha?

• Members
MM-
I am a sucker for a V-7 (or a lower-case "v" for you folks who analyze classical music) chord, and you have made excellent use of it. Cool song..

Thanks guit! Y'all didn't know I was classically trained, did you? ;)

Actually, I'm forced to reveal my ignorance here--which chord in my song is a V-7? And what makes it a V-7?

• Members
Well done!
:thu:
That 12 string sounds fantastic. Is that the Yamaha?

Thanks, Sangemon. Yes, it is the Yamaha. I got it brand new, out of the box, on Christmas Eve as an exchange for a Fender dud. Strings are over a month old now and it still keeps good tune and tone.

I loved your tune as well. I even played it a second time singing the Sarah Palin lyrics in my head. My wife kept looking at my funny while I was laughing because, to her, it seemed like a serious song.

• Members

Better late than never, here is my first Youtube experiment. I apologize for the 2 minute shot of my ugly mug, but I don't know how to use this camera yet. You may want to turn it up too as I forgot to adjust the levels.

The song is called Chicago Midwinter and I played it on my Yamaha FG730S.

[YOUTUBE]3KRe77EKIJQ[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

Well, by my clock it's almost closing time ... but you know what? If it's still Second Sunday where you live, keep posting. Even it's a bit past Second Sunday and Monday Morning is blinking its bright eyes in your face ...

post 'em if you got 'em!

The mic is still on if you need it ...

• Members

Hello everybody! It's nice to hear you all!

I was ready to participate, recorded something with my Boss RC-2... No way to transfer it to my computer though... No Line in in my Laptop and sound problems with my desktop under Windows Seven! :(

It's time to go to bed for me, now!

Goodnight! :wave:

• Members

The archive site is also up to date.

As usual, get on in there and check my work. Make sure I didn't miss you and your entry is correct. http://vom.infocusreviews.com

Also, if you haven't registered yet as a VOM participant, please do so, you can register here. There are some extra goodies that the archive site provides, but you have to be registered to get at them. (Mainly required to keep the SPAMmers out)

Hope everyone found the new archive site to their liking. It certainly seems to have held up to the workload with very few quirks.

• Members

Mine looks good, and so does the collab. On hypcollector's entry, credit should be "Original: Paul Gorman" ... I helped him record it (which I guess makes me an "engineer"), but I didn't write or play on it.

:whisper: I think I'm supposed to know how to change this. I may need a refresher course later this week!

• Members

More listens...

Diceman-Anything Mexico works for me. You did good. And yes, you can sing.

Mr Chaos- I dig your style.Very cool. My friend just made a video with gravity as the main theme. "Making peace with gravity" Take a listen and view. Good job!!

He is the tall guy with dreads...leave him a comment. Say Ted said hi.

Riffmeister-Beautiful.Must of taken a couple Sunday's to play like that.

Highstrung-Some great direction your going with the playing.Very nice.

reydavies- Wow. I got a long way to go. That was awesome playing.

• Members
Mine looks good, and so does the collab. On hypcollector's entry, credit should be "Original: Paul Gorman" ... I helped him record it (which I guess makes me an "engineer"), but I didn't write or play on it.

:whisper:
I think I'm supposed to know how to change this. I may need a refresher course later this week!

Got ya covered..

And no, you haven't missed anything, I haven't built an editor for the entries yet.. It's coming.. Also gonna provide a means for registered VOMers to correct their own url's in the case of service change or whatever.

Archived