VOM 13 -- Virtual Open Mic @ HCAG, Second Sunday, February 8, 2009

Stackabones

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Absentee Postings

garthman Comments:

A traditional song containing some cautionary advice for young ladies on a cold night.

Usual one take with my computer mike via Audacity. Played on my Crafter and sorry for the odd string buzz - cold hands, brrrr!

Absentee Post from:
garthman

Title:
Cold Blow & Rainy Night

Credits:
Traditional

Absentee Post from: tbryson

Title: Willows Weeping

Credits: Ted J Bryson

tbryson Comments:

One take on the guitar and 2 takes for the vocal then mixed with a few effects to make me sound better.

I wrote this for music someone on HC wrote and was given a title only. I think he wants to use the lyrics on another piece of music instead so I wrote this melody to go with the lyrics for now...His music is most likely much better...IDK what genre you would call this...maybe cheesy 60's pop.

verse

D

• Members

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Title: Slither

Credits: Velvet Revolver

Link:

------------------------------------------------------------------------

A year or so ago, I released an abridged version of Velvet Revolver's "Slither" on YouTube. People seemed to like the rendition except for the fact that I played the main riff slightly differently than the album. Well, since I enjoy playing the song, I've rerecorded a new, more complete, version of "Slither" for this month's VOM submission. This version was recorded on my Epiphone Masterbilt AJ-500M tuned down a half step.

[YOUTUBE]nPiC_JRKUvU[/YOUTUBE]

The main rhythm was recorded in one take with a 2nd guitar part layered over it. As always, the song has its share of flaws, but in the spirit of VOM1T, I've decided to leave the recording as it is. Here's hoping you enjoy it!

-Chris

• Members

It looks like there may be a brief blackout at Harmony Central tonight. It's scheduled to start an hour after the beginning of VOM.

VOM begins 12:00 AM Central Time (10:00 PM Pacific Time). Perhaps it'll only be a two-hour blackout (as advertised) and we'll be back up before you've had your morning cup of coffee. :thu:

• Members

I was going to post a Uke thing but recorded this song last night.

This is a collaboration with lyricist HC Holbert (our second).

I picked up my old Guild D-35SB and was playing around and decided to try dropping top and bottom string to D. This is what came out after one pass with the microphone on. I added the very last verse:

[YOUTUBE]D9hOLZsVNo8&ap=%2526fmt%3D18[/YOUTUBE]

In case the stereo embed does not work for some:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9hOLZsVNo8

• Members

So "romantic" is the theme. That suits the hell outta me, fer dam sure! This is a song I wrote about one of god's special people. Not a love interest on my part, just a beautiful and dear friend who lives far away now and whom I miss hugely. The song is titled "Something About Amy".

I submit the picture that inspired the second verse ("Picture/on my screen...")

http://www.box.net/shared/j564d8malt

Well, OK, it won't display. Great. Click to see it. Here's the song (if all goes well, you can just play it OR download):

http://www.box.net/shared/4jkb0yauk7

• Members

Home Cookin'

Original tune. Scroll down on the linked page for the lyrics. Two-chord song, A & E!

All four tracks are one-take on my Zoom H4:

Track 1, vox and gutbox git

Track 2, harmony vox

Track 3, rubbing hands percussion

Track 4, lead guitar (Gitane D500)

The tempo increase during and after the second verse, as well as other features, marks this recording as an authentic VOM1T. ;)

EDIT: Due to the Soundclick blackout, I put together a simple youtube vid of one image -- now you can hear the tune!

4CDxPL0ZQ8E

• Members

This is "Hey There Delilah" by The Plain White Tees.

I played this on my Martin 00-18 Custom, and recorded it with a single AKG Perception 220 Large Diameter Condenser > Apogee Duet > Logic Express.

I think I over-EQ'd the track a bit, and although my guitar playing keeps improving, my singing, alas, does not. But I refuse to be embarrassed by it.

I got a little lost in the middle and missed a beat or two, and I mixed up the lyrics in the last verse, but otherwise I'm pretty happy with this for 1 take considering that I first picked up a guitar at the end of March 2008.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=843097&songID=7310434

Oh, and by the way, although I didn't sing them, I think these alternate lyrics are funny as hell:

Hey Sarah Palin, do you tell them in Wasilla

That 4,000 years ago we roamed the planet with Godzilla

Is it true

I am so {censored}ing scared of you

As number 2

Hey Sarah Palin, I think Alaska

• Members

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

Mexican Sky,written by Scott Evans of Medicine Show(Tulsa,OK),made popular by Cross Canadian Ragweed,recorded on their album Live At Billy Bob's Texas...i should probably add that i've only been playing for around 10 months,and am self taught so far...

Damon

• Members

This new setup and notification is working great...what a cool way to get motivated and download your song before the session starts with the absentee option...very cool guys:thu:

Already listened to 6 songs...there a some real talented players!

• Members

Original love song this month, it's kinda lo-fi... as it was recorded using my MacBook's internal mic. (which is rubbish)

I wrote another love song just last night, I was thinking of recording that this morning, but I have a hangover and it needs a bit more work.

This is Falling Through Gravity.

:facepalm:

[YOUTUBE]ASvAayAoQXE[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

"Scherzino Mexicano" by Manuel Ponce (1882-1948; read about his biography on Wikipedia; he was a contemporary of and wrote for Andres Segovia). This is a short, melodic piece with interesting shifts between duple and triple meter. And the middle section is constructed in hemiola form (3 beats on 2 beats) with the melody being in quarter note triplets and the bass line descending chromatically in quarter notes.

Played on a beautiful Aaron Green classical guitar, spruce top with Madagascar rosewood back & sides. (also for sale, btw)

http://media.putfile.com/XXX-94

• Members

This past year, I've been trying to move in some new musical directions from my dismal history as a wannabe musician. The way I've been playing lately, I wondered if I would ever be able to play anything I wasn't ashamed of.

I recorded this last night, and I really did it in one take, well actually two (I overdubbed a rhythm track onto it). It's rough, and I really screwed up the ending, but at least I did get a recording that's recognizable

• Members

Song Title: Deep River Blues

Writer: Traditional, but popularized by Doc Watson

http://www.akmusicvideo.com/audio/Deep_River_Blues

Well, folks, by popular request I'm entering this month's VOM. Playing my new Yamaha LJ6 with Martin SP4100 Phosphor Bronze strings, metal fingerpicks and plastic thumb pick. All National brand picks. Put a bone saddle in to replace plastic. Recorded using Sequel 2, and an old Audio Technica mic into an M-Audio sound card.

This is my first VOM, can't sing worth a darn in my opinion, playing only so-so, but for me it's all in fun, anyway. It's nice to participate.

BigAl :thu:

• Members

The main rhythm was recorded in one take with a 2nd guitar part layered over it. As always, the song has its share of flaws, but in the spirit of VOM1T, I've decided to leave the recording as it is. Here's hoping you enjoy it!

-Chris

That was REALLY cool!! :thu: Loved it, thanks!

• Members

I was going to post a Uke thing but recorded this song last night.

This is a collaboration with lyricist HC Holbert (our second).

I picked up my old Guild D-35SB and was playing around and decided to try dropping top and bottom string to D. This is what came out after one pass with the microphone on. I added the very last verse:

Gil, I love the sound of that guitar, and a nice song, I always like your songs.

What is that slap reverb you've got there?

• Members

Hi guys,:wave:I'm new here so forgive me if I'm posting in the wrong forum.

I'm trying to post a link to the current VOM. It's a little ragtime ditty I wrote a little while ago. Actually it'a a clue to where I live.

That was great! I was memserized. Welcome to VOM! I want to hear more from you.

• Members

Doesn't have a title. It's just a short improv solo I did before I left for college. The backing track/drums sound a bit weak for some reason. sounds a lot better in person for sure.:thu:

But ya, take it for what its worth...overall I like it:)

[YOUTUBE]nA9yjbEFsmc[/YOUTUBE]

Archived