Guitarboy48

• Members

I played both of these guitars at GC, and liked the feel of both. The seagull has a solid top, while the dxj is all laminate. though it's all laminate, it sounded very good, and it would be able to handle New England weather better (from what i have heard). I love the seagull, but if i can get a good, durable martin for about the same price, is it worth it?

• Members

Or man up and buy a "Real Martin™" - ooh did I say that out loud? My bad :)

Kidding aside, the Seagulls are pretty nice accoustics and decent value. I am a "Real Martin" owner (see my GP) and I'd take a real wood Seagull over a laminated anything anyday.

• Members

Gotta agree that the Seagull will be the better all-around guitar.

The "Masonite Martins" are decent road guitars, and, plugged in, will sound OK, and will likely survive more abuse than the Seagull. But it's highly unlikely that they'll improve, tonally, even slightly, as time goes by.

The tone you get, right out of the box, is what you'll have for it's life.

• Members

I bought the mini-jumbo about 3 weeks ago. The guitar looks beautiful and sounds even better--no other guitar I tried out at GC in the sub-$500 range came close. It sounds loud and full when strummed and full yet clear when picked. I don't think there's a better way to spend $350 on an acoustic (or $250 like I did!).

• Members

Knowing nothing about the Seagull, I checked out the specs and compared it to the Fender JG12CE-12 that I originally bought in October. The Fender was a mini-jumbo and while I initially liked it, over the next month, it just didn't appeal to me anymore (aside from some other structural issues I ultimate came across).

Before I voted, I wanted to have a better idea about the mini-jumbo. If it were comparable to the Fender I didn't like, I'd vote for the Martin. Not that it would be the best guitar, but it would be the better choice among the two.

The Seagull is actually much larger than the Fender. Length, width, depth. Everything. That would indicate to me, without ever hearing it, that the tone would be superior to the Fender. Add to that, the solid cedar top, and my vote goes for the Seagull.

Not that I'm a guitar expert (I can't spell afficianado), but it would seem to me that buying a laminate Martin would be like buying a Cadillac Cimmeron. It might say Cadillac on the fender, but it's still a Chevy Cavalier.

• Members

What does it tell you when an all high pressure laminate guitar sounds as good or similar to a solid top guitar?

Why does a HPL guitar sound similar to a solid top guitar though? I would vote the Seagull as well between those two, but the Martin bracing has got to be well done in the HPL guitars. I have tried a few and been very suprised how good they sound. Would I want one instead of my all solid Martin? No way, but I would consider one if that was my price range. I would think at the right store you could get into an all HPL Martin for 400 or so.

That being said you can have an all solid Seagull 25th Anniversary at Guitar center for 449.00. They will have to order it for you, they have about 8 in stock across the country. Hoover Alabama GC has a new one, you just have to go to your local GC if you have one and ask them to ship from there. Or you probably could call GC online, and have them do a price match, they will resist at first, but if you insist they call the store, they will get the price and match it. (I just went through the process of getting this done, but decided on a different guitar, and had no trouble getting the price of 449 offered)

• Members

I love Martins, but I also like getting the best value for my $$$. My vote's for solid wood Seagull. I've had one, and they Are good. I think you'll get a lot more mileage out of it before you feel the need to upgrade.

• Members

I will second the suggestion of getting a Seagull 25th Anniversary. I was able to convince Musician's Friend to price match to the local GC price and sell it to me for $380 (you should give it a shot). It has become my go-to guitar.

• Members

btw Seagulls have laminated back and sides unless you get one of the more expensive Seagulls. (artist series) or one of the new (SWS) solid wood series seagulls that haven't been released yet.

Also martin makes the X series that has laminated (HPL) sides and back with a solid top.

http://elderly.com/new_instruments/items/OMCX1KE.htm

I played one at a local store and I thought it sounded great.

btw I own a Seagull S6. Great guitar.

My advice, play both and choose the one that speaks to you.

Archived