VOM 14 -- Virtual Open Mic @ HCAG, Second Sunday, March 8, 2009

Stackabones

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Finally got some free time to give the VOM the time it deserves. Thanks to everyone who checked out my humble strumming this month. As always, I really appreciated all the feedback and encouragement that you all sent my way. Special thanks go out to rhancox, tbryson, guitarist21, C70man, Queequeg, blue2blue, jandrew, and Stack. Thanks again, and forgive me if I missed anyone ;)

fussenkuh
- hadn't heard of them either ... but that sounds pretty good, I think I may have to just check them out.

Full Disclosure: I'd categorize the majority of Dust For Life's songs as heavy grunge rock a la early Alice in Chains (which sounds good in my book). They do, however, have a handful of acoustic tunes like the one I covered... I just wouldn't want to give you the false impression that all their stuff is acoustic ;)

• Members

Better late than never! I've finally had a chance to make it through the rest of the VOM entries. And, as always, you folks never fail to deliver some great tunes. Here's a round of applause for all of you!

BlackHatHunter - Not really a country fan myself, but I enjoyed the tune. Quality job!

Tupelo Son - Nice work Tupelo! I really liked that strumming pattern... and the lyrics that went with it :thu:

jandrew - That's a nice tone you're getting from that larrivee and H2. great work!

Mr. Bluesman - Sounds great man! Got a kick out of those girls in the background

daklander - Great as always, dak! I'd definitely say your music did justice to Sherri's words.

guitarist21 - Sounds great Ellen. Just watching you play is inspiring me to pick up my guitar... you always look blissfully happy when you're playing :) Oh, and I loved the tour of the practice facility.

riffmeister - Great little piece. I loved the sound of it.

Melodeous - Can't say I'm familiar with this tune, but I loved the guitar work. Thanks for sharing.

Citizen_Insane - Welcome to the VOM! Interesting to hear this song played someplace besides my copy of Fallout 3 for my Xbox. It definitely isn't nearly as ominous sounding when the song isn't set in the backdrop of a post nuclear war D.C. ;)

greenbean - Sounds good, greenbean. My hat's off to you for coming up with this cool sounding tune.

totamus - Wow! That sounds awesome totamus (and friends). My feet didn't want to stop moving until the song stopped playing.

blue2blue - Sounds nice. I enjoyed the tune... some solid playing.

happy-man - Sounds like you're taking everything in stride and with a great attitude, happy-man. Besides the slight buzz in the background, I though it sounded great. You really nailed those vocals :thu:

hypcollector - Really nice original tune, hypcollector. I was digging the mellow strumming and those vocals.

Northstar - Nice playing. I can picture myself sitting out on the porch on a nice summer day strumming this tune watching the world go by.

C70man - Very soothing... I like it :thu: And, the Penco sounds great.

Coupled with my original feedback post, I think I made it through everyone's tunes. If I've forgotten anyone, please forgive me :)

• Members

Fuss--thanks much. Here's a link to the same song, with those other tracks. Not the same recording. I don't like the vocals on this one very much, although I like the weaving together of the other instruments. Also am having a problem in the "translation" to mp3--my recordings sound pretty "clean" on the Fostex, but by the time I put them into iTunes and then run them through the mp3 converter (Switch), they pick up a lot of extraneous noise (the hissy sibilant "S" sounds in particular, and some other annoying trebly echoes). Don't know how to avoid that.

http://www.box.net/shared/u46nfua5mu

Thanks for the follow-up Michael... even if it did take me a few weeks to check it out :facepalm: I think I'd agree with your assessment, I was really digging the extra layers of sound, but I think the track did somehow get a little "roughed-up" during the mp3 conversion. Oh well, I guess we can't get everything perfectly the way we want it... at least I know I can't ;)

Archived