VOM 14 -- Virtual Open Mic @ HCAG, Second Sunday, March 8, 2009

Stackabones

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

[
jandrew
-- "Nobody Knows You When You're Down and Out" -- there seems to be some confusion about the authorship of this depression era song... It's credited to Ira Cox in some places (and other folks in others) but it actually appears it was written by early 20th C. songwriter
Anyhow, a very nice, flavorful version, here.

Thanks, and you are correct, I didn't do my due diligence on that one -- even the credits in my Eric Clapton Unplugged CD credit Jimmy Cox ... thanks for setting the record straight.

cheers,

andrew

• Members

Thanks to all for their comments on my submission. This was another great
VOM with an array of styles and no lack of talent (and so many good
songwriters):

tbryson - a great start to this VOM
garthman - well done - your guitar and vocals work together perfectly
queequeg - can't not like that song, sounds good.
fussenkuh - hadn't heard of them either ... but that sounds pretty
good, I think I may have to just check them out.
michael martin - that's a darn fine song you've got there -- I think
the stripped down version works great.
stackabones - smiling and tapping along; thanks for that.
gthom - love your playing, you sure make that yamaha sound good.
mrmoe - terrific song, complemented by a great performance!
g6120 - a very nice song, and I love the recording
terry allan hall - holy doodle, that rocks.
oldguitarplayer - nicely done ogp
rhancox - always meant to learn that one .. nice version.
blackhathunter - you're a genuine county singer, you own that song.
tupelo son - love the song, definitely a mover and shaker
mr bluesman - beautifully done!
guitaris21 - that was great, I'd like to hear the vocals a little
more up front.
melodeous - I like how you did this one.
citizen_insane - awesome, glad you joined in with that one.
greenbean - hey, you play darn fine ... me like.
totamus - you guys are tight --- I used to try to play bluegrass
with my brother some years ago (he could sure pick) ... it's definitely fun
music.
blue2blue - really like the song, well done.
happy-man - nailed it, love your voice and playing
hypcollector - great vocals on a great song
Northstar - nice playing, sit back and listen

Those were all the ones I could access to listen to.

cheers,
andrew

• Members
rhancox
-- "Me and Julio Down by the Schoolyard" -- a spirited, lively version
!
I've been trying to figure out the plot of this song for 35 years and I'm still not sure I've got it... but I always kind of took it as Simon's entry into the 70s walkin'-on-the-wild-side thang... have no idea if that's true. Maybe it's best to have some mystery...
:D

Thanks, Blue.

Well, if you really don't know, my take is it's about a son who's gay and his family can't hang so they have him arrested for being deviant, only to be saved by some radicals and making the news.

But I could be wrong.

• Members

Well that was real nice. My mother was born in Cheyenne. Pretty song.

VOM1T, in all its gory glory!

Recorded this morning in a haste after I realized that today was the day... as always, thanks for the opportunity!

forgot to mention... this is a cover of George Strait's I can still make Cheyenne, maybe my personal all time favorite Strait song
:)

• Members

Thanks guys!

The guitar is a Recording King RO-16.

WTF, right?
:D

It's basically a cheap knock-off of Martin's OM28, but it works more than surprisingly good for the $$$.

:thu: I recorded my song for last month's VOM on my Recording King RO17 and agree, they are nice for the money. REALLY nice performance!

EVERYONE, FANTASTIC JOB! It's great to hear sooo many different styles in one place.

• Members

Gthom....Couldn't help but want to figure out the t-shirt...Chicago ? Club. Liked the song too.

The shirt says "Chicago Sport & Social Club". I'm pretty sure I got it for a work 16" softball team that I played on about 4 years ago. :thu: I've got at least 2 from other years, maybe I can wear one each month, along with my PJ pants.

Thanks to everyone for another great month. I love the wide range of music we get on here, and that even we non-singers can get in on the action. Hopefully I'll get time to chime in on the contributions before the week is out.

• Members

Wow, wow and wow.

Excellent job by all.

I can't began to comment on every recording, but I will comment a few:

Q-Man - Awesome job man! All of your open mic and hospital playing has paid off big time. Your chops are strong (I subscribed to your YouTube page and plan to buy the official Q merchandise and CD's) :thu:

Ellen - Wow! Very nice job on 3X5. I like your version with the capo at the 3rd fret. Some folks play it with the capo at the 8th. :thu:

Happyman - Dude, you gotta start visiting more often. I'm a HUGE Radiohead fan. I loved your version of High and Dry. Many people have a tendency to play it too fast. Your phrasing (playing AND singing) did the song well.

Stack - You think you have problems? My toasters too tall and my bread is too short....;):facepalm: Awesome tune. You rocked that uke well. :thu:

Melodeous - Very nice job. I hate to admit it, but I never heard that song before today. You made it your own. :thu:

I'm kicking myself for missing the VOM this month. I had every intention to participate, but I had a late night Saturday. The family and I went to a birthday party for a close friend's daughter at 6:00 PM. My goal was to do a late night recording session after the party. I was shocked to discover the party was actually a surprise 40th birthday party for me! My wife and friends managed to pull it off because they planned it 9 days early and did an excellent job keeping it secret. Needless to say, we stayed out later than expected and beer was involved.....;)

Mark it down - I will participate next month. :thu:

• Members

Well, Happy 40th Birthday to you, Hudman!

And thanks for the kind words. (Make sure to ask for the 10% discount on our longsleeve 400-count thread "Q"uality tee shirts.)

My 40s were a very richly rewarding time in my life. (50s aren't too bad, either.)

Hope they are happy and exciting years for you, too, Ed.

All the best,

-Q

• Members

Well, Happy 40th Birthday to you, Hudman!

And thanks for the kind words. (Make sure to ask for the 10% discount on our longsleeve 400-count thread "Q"uality tee shirts.)

My 40s were a very richly rewarding time in my life. (50s aren't too bad, either.)

Hope they are happy and exciting years for you, too, Ed.

All the best,

-Q

Hey! I'm still in my 30's (until next Monday - ;)).

Seriously, I was having a rough time with the big 4 - 0 - until Saturday night. My wife even managed to get my mom and her new husband to make the drive up from Kentucky. Man, I was surprised and I came away feeling loved and appreciated by my friends and family.The party took the sting out of turning 40.

Thanks for your kind words. 40 just another number (trying hard to believe it......;)).

Back on topic - I plan to do some serious woodshedding over the next 3 months to prepare for the McKnight gathering. It's been a long time since I played in front of new people. I need to use the VOM to help me prepare. :thu:

There is a method to my madness. I bought the Crate amp I told you about, installed pick ups in my two new guitars and bought a LR Baggs Para DI in order to practice playing live. :thu:

• Members
The shirt says "Chicago Sport & Social Club". I'm pretty sure I got it for a work 16" softball team that I played on about 4 years ago.
:thu:
I've got at least 2 from other years, maybe I can wear one each month, along with my PJ pants.

I played 16" in chicago and the burbs over 10years......love the game.

Don't recall playing agin ya though.....We always played for high stakes....beer money.

• Members

Okay all youse mugs and muggets, I've had a chance to listen to all the great stuff posted this 14th time around and I want to say thanks. I do enjoy this 2nd Sunday offering and will continue to try to keep up. If nothing else I'll get this recording thing past the grumbling stages. Let me single out some respect to the master of calcium deposits himself for his poignant and creative 2-uke chord spin on appliance consumer advocacy. Well done. And Dak, thanks for pushing the envelope and great melody match-up with the lyrics. To everyone else, hey, you make it fun. Last, thanks for the kind words all.

• Members

i can't bear the radio anymore. thanks brother stack for hosting and others who make vom happen. also, thanks for all who commented on jesus de la von. the VOM1T concept forced me to roll the lyrics all day and it turned out to be a better song when we laid it down. Lord knows the townes reference was humbling. thanks again.

appreciated all the submissions and enjoyed some more than others....a few stood out...

michael martin.....great song. velvet undergroundish.
stack....he's just ahead of us all. in concept and vision. the stack shack.
mrmoe.....your voice is just on man. talk about pulling one from the dead.
bluetoblue.....i'm sitting here crying. dark, in a good way.

song-of-the-month-in-my-opinion-it's-all-relative-anyway-award......
blackhathunter....not even close. the performance/voice/soul was unmatched. besides, everyone either likes country music or will like country music.

stay hyp.pg

• Members
Let me single out some respect to the master of calcium deposits himself for his poignant and creative 2-uke chord spin on appliance consumer advocacy.

:lol: It took me a second to realize who you were talking about. Thanks!

I think I may just have to sig that one. :o

• Members

Well..I have finished listening to everyones tunes yet but the ones I have heard are fantastic. I really like the amount of original material I have heard and of course the covers have been wonderful.

Some standouts so far have been Queequeg, Guitarist21 (you are awesome as always Ellen!), MrMoe, TAH, Michael Martin, Stackabones (my problem is toast keeps popping up) and Mr.Bluesman(great video!)

If I have left anyone out it's just because I have not heard everything yet but I am sure it's all awesome and will be listening to the rest later. :D

Thanks for taking the time to watch my video and all of the the kind words. You guys rock! :rawk:

• Members

blackhathunter
....not even close. the performance/voice/soul was unmatched. besides, everyone either likes country music or will like country music.

Wow, I am speechless. It's not a competition anyway, but I sure do appreciate the very kind words, especially in this very talented group. Thank you.

• Members

I played 16" in chicago and the burbs over 10years......love the game.

Don't recall playing agin ya though.....We always played for high stakes....beer money.

A dangerous game for a guitarist to play...I've seen plenty of photos of the hardcore 16" players, with the crooked fingers (for those not familiar, you don't use a glove in 16"). I haven't played in about 4 years, which is okay with me since I flied out to short 80% of the time.

• Members

daklander -- "I Can't Shake the You in Me" -- a fine little song, delivered with lots of character...

guitarist21 -- another endearing performance!

riffmeister -- very pretty in an understated way.

Melodeous -- "Four and Twenty" -- a great little song nicely done.

Citizen Insane-- "I Don't Want to Set the World on Fire" -- nicely old time feel for a delightful old song.

greenbean -- "Magnificent Frigatebird" -- some interesting and provocative harmonic exploration, here.

totamus -- "Red Haired Boy" -- nicely done!

happy-man -- "High and Dry" -- nice and moody... fun to sing along with on the high parts. ;)

hypcollector -- "Jesus De La Von" -- an evocative little ballad.

Northstar -- "Laurentien"-- some nice changes there.

C70man -- "If Deb Were There" -- cool harmonic structure, I love the chords in the intro section.

Archived