VOM 14 -- Virtual Open Mic @ HCAG, Second Sunday, March 8, 2009

Stackabones

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Well, by my clock it's almost closing time ... but you know what? If it's still Second Sunday where you live, keep posting. Even it's a bit past Second Sunday and Monday Morning is blinking its bright eyes in your face ...

post 'em if you got 'em!

The mic is still on if you need it ...

• Members
If I missed this VOM, then I'd have missed as many as I've made. I've not listened to any yet, but I've put together the best I could. I'm at my house being Mr. Mom while my wife is out of town (we are separated). I'm homeschooling 5 of my kids (she usually does this). The only guitar I brought with me was my F-335 bang around. The only mic in the house is the computer mic that my kids use for their Rosetta Stone Spanish lessons on the computer. I'm using the computer available with the least amount of hum with this mic (a Toshiba laptop) with Audacity. I've not been playing much at all. Enough excuses. I had a wonderful time at a church beach picnic today with 4 of my kids. The water and weather were fabulous. Not much visibility with a mask due to the waves. I avoided all the rip tides, man-of-war and jellyfish. Life has been good. I'm out of work, but I've had a few promising interviews, and I've been with my kids for two weeks.

Radiohead's High and Dry. 2nd take. 1st take was to get the level ok.

http://www.box.net/shared/iq4sbnvkee

Scott O

Wow, Scott,

That's a haunting rendition, given the back story you've given. I can understand where the energy you've put into this take come from. Many late nights have I spent with aching heart and burning eyes and a song in my heart tugging at my heart strings. I salute you, sir. Good luck with your efforts with the family and work and keep at the playing.

BTW, the guitar sounds great despite the modest recording setup and the "bang-around" guitar. The real treat is your vocals. I was worried that this was gonna be an instrumental but was relieved - and later awestruck - when your voice came in and carried the tune without a single flaw.

Awesome job! :thu:

• Members

Beautifully done. Nice vocal.

If I missed this VOM, then I'd have missed as many as I've made. I've not listened to any yet, but I've put together the best I could. I'm at my house being Mr. Mom while my wife is out of town (we are separated). I'm homeschooling 5 of my kids (she usually does this). The only guitar I brought with me was my F-335 bang around. The only mic in the house is the computer mic that my kids use for their Rosetta Stone Spanish lessons on the computer. I'm using the computer available with the least amount of hum with this mic (a Toshiba laptop) with Audacity. I've not been playing much at all. Enough excuses. I had a wonderful time at a church beach picnic today with 4 of my kids. The water and weather were fabulous. Not much visibility with a mask due to the waves. I avoided all the rip tides, man-of-war and jellyfish. Life has been good. I'm out of work, but I've had a few promising interviews, and I've been with my kids for two weeks.

Radiohead's High and Dry. 2nd take. 1st take was to get the level ok.

Scott O

• Members

happy-man: that just blew me away, man. As soon as you started, I forgot all about the hum in the microphone.

what a voice! and the chord progression on that song is lovely. my son always said I should listen to some Radiohead, but at my age, I have a tough time broadening my musical horizons. You cut through on this tune and now i know why he recommended them to me.

• Members

Can't wait to get home from work and listen to everyone's stuff!

Ellen, that was super, girl! SUPERGIRL!

Great singing. Terrific rhythm playing. Mondo lead guitar playing for the break.

Thanks for the virtual tour of the Berklee pactice rooms. That's as close as I will ever get to that campus.

• Members

Wow! What a collection of songs this month. All very well done. I stand humbled with my campfire collection against all this great talent.

Here are the rest of my reviews. I counted 28 this month.

BlackHatHunter - Excellent version. Being from San Antonio, I think it's against the law to not be a George Strait fan. You have a great country voice.

Tupelo Son - Solid. And you're right, it is all those things. Very good effort.

jandrew - I love this song, and you did it true justice. That was awesome.

Mr. Bluesman - that was a great song. Beautiful playing, wonderful voice. And on TV too. You nailed it.

daklander - Ya done good, dak. Welcome back. You did a wonderful job creating the perfect music for those lyrics.

guitarist21 - That was a very good cover. I love your playing. Quite energetic and flawless. Very well done.

riffmeister - That was a great little tune. I loved the melody. Beautiful.

Melodeous - I love that song and you did it well. Something about your voice on this one that gives it a different feel. Like a Harry Chapin sort of thing. Well done.

Citizen Insane - Wow. What a cool rendition. That sounded great. Good job.

greenbean - You are doing quite well for less than a year. Beautiful song and well played.

Totamus - A real toe tapper. You guys sound great. As Q mentioned, the wrists seemed to have heeled nicely. Loved the closing editorial. :p

blue2blue - Very cool tune. Well written and performed.

happy-man - You did this well, all things considered. The tone was beautiful and you nailed it on the vocals. Nice job.

hypcollector - Great tune. You and Stack are definitely musical brothers. Cut from the same piece of wood. A couple of walnuts. ;)

Northstar - That was beautiful. Clean, jazzy guitar. I could listen to that all day.

Thank you to all for the kind words so far. I look forward to the VOM every month now. It's fun to participate in and a wonderful listening experience, especially.

• Members

I really wanted to contribute this weekend, but it turned into a not so good weekend. Had to go to the hospital. My really nice sister in law had surgery and we spent the better part of Saturday and most of Sunday there. Hence, I didn't get around to recording. Sorry.

3 guitars and no song to post? Of late, I have nothing but excuses for not posting a song, but I do prefer to do them one take so I can listen to myself and work on improvements later. I have two songs in progress that aren't done and a lesson I am working on. Oh, well next month I guess.

I really liked this months VOM. I have been listening for nearly 2 hours now so here's my thoughts up to now....

Tbyson...A song I'm sure a lot of us can identify with...in my case it was definitely...don't call dad.....

Garthman....Strong vocals, I really liked it.

Queegueg...great song and NOT so easy...great job.

Pschaffs....I would agree with Guitarist21...needs a little more guitar.

Fussenkuh....Nice tune......really good strumming there.

Michael Martin.....Love the line, "who the hell are you look in her eyes". nice song.

Stakabones... The bamboo was a nice touch!....sweet little tune.

Gthom....Couldn't help but want to figure out the t-shirt...Chicago ? Club. Liked the song too.

Mrmoe...A fun song. 30 years and the same voice......

G6120...Really nice lyrics......and that Guild sounds sweeet. Nice job.

TAH....Definitely some nice pickin going on there.....very nice pickin.

OGP...Cool song....I can see you're getting into that "Epi" of yours....

TSMusic....A lot of production...but sounds good. I would like to hear your playing unplugged, some real nice notes in there.

Rhancox...Brave choice......some of those notes are killers......good job.

BlackHatHunter...Country is your Forte!

Tupelo Son......Strong guitar...nice

JAndrew...At first I thought I was listening to Steve Goodmans, Dying Cubs Fans Last request......its so similar. Nice playing...

MrBluesMan...A good production piece...sounded great. Tell us about he guitar, I didn't recognize it.

Daklander...NIce song Dak...I really liked it.

Guitar21......Ok, so Mayer can come up with a good song.....but personally I thought your rendition was better than anything I've heard him play....and I mean that.......great job.

Riffmeister....Maybe a Ditty to you, but not so simple for most of us. A beautiful melody...the kind that stirs up images in my head...thanks.

Michael Martin...2,2,9, 5 ??? You can't count worth a damn, but you can play that guitar.......really nice job.

Melodeous....One of my all time favs......I use drop D or open tuning for that song, but I really like how you played it. Now I have to try it out...thanks!

Citizen Insane......very cool. Was that played with your avatar?

Greenbean....I think with some vocals and fill, you really got something there.

Totamus...You always get my feet going.....And it takes an hour to stop! Great job.

Blue2Blue...Man, that was great. I'm glad you did it one take. It really sounded natural.

Happyman....nice, strong strumming there.

hypcollector....Kwak hit it right on. Great vocals

Northstar....Sorry, lots of hum in there.....hard for me to really enjoy the guitar. Nice melody.

• Members

...haven't had a chance to listen to many of this month's VOM postings....but I did (of course) listen to:

Dak's song.....just love your voice.....

...and Ellen....wish I had learned to play guitar like that when I was your age...

• Members

C70man
-

just listened to yours. gorgeous. well played. Glad I didn't miss this one. you have a very nice touch on the guitar.

Queegueg and Rhancox.....thanks for the comments. I felt so bad about not contributing, So I just picked the guitar up and layed a track. I wrote that melody some time ago and have waffled over the lyrics for as long.

As I mentioned, I love the sound thats coming out of that guitar right now and have been reconsidering a number of songs I wrote in the past and reviving them. When I use a pick with this guitar I almost have to wear ear plugs...its that loud. Amazing...

Here's an instrumental of "That's All" that I recorded on the Penco the day I got it back. Not the best job playing, but you can really hear the notes jump out of this guitar.....

http://www.xanga.com/c70man/audio/ad5553313667

• Members

Northstar....Sorry, lots of hum in there.....hard for me to really enjoy the guitar. Nice melody.

I don't know what the problem can be but it sounds fine on my home computer and my computer at work. Since other people have been able to listen to it, might I suggest that your computer is at fault?

As for the comments from everyone, well thanks a bunch!

• Members

I'm gonna have to do this in a few sections, I suspect...

tbryson -- "Don't Call Dad" -- a carload of fun... I have a song somewhere called "Daddy's Caddilac," which doesn't end that well for protagonist (but I did get the Killer's trademark "Great balls of fire!" in there at the end).

garthman -- "Famous Blue Raincoat" -- I love that song, too... a sensitive reading of a complex song. That Leonard Cohen... what a life he's led, huh?

Queequeg -- "Here Comes the Sun" -- a lovely little song. It really captures the feeling of morning sunlight catching the dew on spider webs in a little English garden.

pschaafs -- "Sunshine" -- JC Young really could capture that light, acoustic jazzy folk thing in his songs. A really intimate, up close reading.

FussenKuh -- "Better Than You Know" -- ah... that 60s folkie thing is not dead... I feel like I'm sitting with my guitar on a sunny hillside...

Michael Martin -- "The Space Between the Stars" -- a poignant and evocative story.

Stack -- "Toaster Too Short" -- the split bamboo backdrop makes this vid. :D A fine and fun little song. Love the uke.

gthom -- "Je me suis fait tout petit"-- cool arrangement of a neat little song! Busy fingers!

mrmoe -- "I'll Get Along Just Fine" -- sounds great... not bad for a 30 year old tape! Your percussionist pal does a great job and so do you!

g6120 -- "Touchin' Souls" -- talk about a slapback echo... it almost sounds like two of you! :D :D :D Nice song, sensitively performed.

Terry Allan Hall -- "Texan in Exile" (I'm guessin') -- Shoot howdy! Rock on! Some pretty furious flatpickin' goin' on. And there ain't no country song that ain't better for dogs barking in the background!

OldGuitarPlayer -- I wouldn't have spotted this as a Greenday song, I don't think. (You gotta love a song where a hooker tells a john, "Stop your whining -- you're bringing me down." Sort of a Dr Laura type, I guess. :D

TSMusic -- "Angels on Fyre" -- this title already has sparked a spin off title in my head: "Angels in Frye Boots." (And in my scraps notebook, for more than a few years, now, I've had a potential song title salted away, "Torched by an Angel," which itself sparked an actual song, "Enslavd by an Angel.") Anyhow, some big, furious music here, bursting with ambition.

rhancox -- "Me and Julio Down by the Schoolyard" -- a spirited, lively version! I've been trying to figure out the plot of this song for 35 years and I'm still not sure I've got it... but I always kind of took it as Simon's entry into the 70s walkin'-on-the-wild-side thang... have no idea if that's true. Maybe it's best to have some mystery... :D

BlackHatHunter -- "I Can Still Make Cheyenne" -- fine singing with just the right twang and sensitive guitar accompaniment!

Tupelo Son -- "All Night Long" -- More just right twang! Love that urgent, 60s folkie strum!

jandrew -- "Nobody Knows You When You're Down and Out" -- there seems to be some confusion about the authorship of this depression era song... It's credited to Ira Cox in some places (and other folks in others) but it actually appears it was written by early 20th C. songwriter Jimmy Cox. Anyhow, a very nice, flavorful version, here.

Mr Bluesman -- "Lose Again" -- very nicely done. And nice presentation -- we don't get to see too many 3 camera set-ups here in the VOM1T. ;)

more coming...

Archived