VOM 14 -- Virtual Open Mic @ HCAG, Second Sunday, March 8, 2009

Stackabones

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Absentee Postings

tbryson Comments:

Wrote this with my cousin. He lived the story and though it is not exactly like his story it has enough elements in it. Kinda country again. We changed some of these lyrics so it makes better sense but this is the recording for now.

Don't call Dad (Don't call Mom)

G.............................C

The boys and I bought a load of beer

G.......................D

We jumped in dads car and hit every gear

G...........................C

Made good time down to the River Kern

G.....................D

Drank and laughed we no concerns

The nights are hot around Bakersfield

We were having some fun til I saw the shield

He said, boys have you all been drinking?

This car, looks like your daddy's Lincoln?

Chorus

C....

I said ...sir

G.....

Don't call Dad

G...............D

He's gonna be awful mad

C...G...C....G

He's gonna make me work both day and night

D..........................

Down at his shop a busting pipe

C........

Please sir, don't call Dad

Dad walked into the police station

And I started praying for my salvation

I could see his neck burning up bright red

I'd seen enough to figure I was dead

Think I saw a little fire in his eye

Wondered what it feels like when you die

He said, boy you see the end of this shoe?

That's from me, now what's your momma gonna do

Chorus

I said sir, ..don't call mom

She'll go off like a bomb

She's gonna make me work both day and night

Might not even make it out alive

Please sir, don't call mom

Bridg

C....G......C ......G

Now he could not have hurt me any much more

D.......C..G

If'n he threw me through our old front door

C....G.....C....G.

Cause momma was the kind of woman that a son

D....C....G

Couldn't let down or handle a gun

Chorus

I said sir.. don't call mom

She'll go off like a bomb

She's gonna make me work both day and night

Might not even make it out alive

Please sir, don't call mom

Tag

Now mamma she laid down the law

Looks like I broke her last straw

I said sir.. why'd ya have to call mom?

Copyright 2009 Ted Bryson/Mike Hardcastle

Absentee Post from:
tbryson

Title:
Don't Call Dad (Don't Call Mom)

Credits:
Ted Bryson/Mike Hardcastle 2009 copyright

garthman Comments:

It's been a few months since I've done a song by Mr Cohen so here is an attempt at

Absentee Post from:
garthman

Title:
Famous Blue Raincoat

Credits:
Leonard Cohen

Queequeg Comments:

Written in 1968 at the home of Harrison's friend, Eric Clapton out in the garden on one of Clapton's acoustics. Included on the Abbey Road album, Lennon was not involved on that historic recording.

Performed here on a Larrivee OM-50TSB in the key of A, capoed @ the 7th fret.

Fun to play. Not too hard.

(So why the clams, you ask?)

-that's how you know it's me.

Absentee Post from:
Queequeg

Title:
Here Comes The Sun

Credits:
George Harrison

pschaafs Comments:

I was a big fan of the Youngbloods in the 60's and this was my favorite tune.

Absentee Post from:
pschaafs

Title:
Sunlight

Credits:
Jesse Colin Young

• Members

Title: Better Than You Know

Originally By: Dust For Life

YouTube Link:

Haven't had much time this past month to really dedicate to guitar. So, I'm presenting a simple strumming tune this month.

Few have heard of Dust For Life. Kind of a mix between Alice and Chains, Days of the New, Tantric, et al, Dust For Life was one of those bands that never quite hit it big. Better Than You Know is the last track off of their latest album. While it's a simple strumming pattern with just a few chords repeated throughout the song, I found myself compelled to figure out the chords and play along. Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately for listeners ;) ), I couldn't figure out all the lyrics, so I didn't bother attempting to sing this time around.

[YOUTUBE]cC6pO6o8Wx8[/YOUTUBE]

Simple as it is, I hope you all enjoy it!

Chris

• Members

[YOUTUBE]_CH5a2N4yNI[/YOUTUBE]

Original tune. Kala Archtop Tenor Uke. VOM1T.

Chords: G C

TOASTER TOO SHORT, BREAD TOO TALL

My friends call me up and they are worried

But they can't understand, oh no!

Though my toaster's still under warranty

It doesn't toast from head to toe

CHORUS

Toaster too short, bread too tall

Toaster too short, bread too tall

Why I bother getting out of bed at all

When my toaster's too short and my bread's too tall.

There needs to be a standard bread size

To avoid this calamity

The government needs to legislate

This threat to national security

CHORUS

I can overlook the big things in life

But the little things have so many details

If they could only be fixed right now

Every day wouldn't be a living hell.

CHORUS

• Members

I'm out of town at the moment, but recorded something wednesday on my old Yamaha FG400a. It's a tune by Georges Brassens called "Je me suis fait tout petit" and I first heard it on one of my Putumayo cds.

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

Here's a live version of Brassens doing it.

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

• Members

This is an original song collaboration. Lately I've been collaborating with lyricist Howard C. Holbert on several of his writes. He has sent me several with my style in mind. Usually I end up making some minor changes to the lyrics to help them flow with the music and run them by Howard. He liked what I did with this one. Then I compose the music fairly quickly and get it recorded ASAP to capture the moment of creation.

On this one the original solo recording had the vocals too far back (since I record with one mic can't fix) so this inspired me to add harmony vocal overdubs to bring them forward. This is the improved second version with the harmonies turned down a bit. First version had harmonies too loud:

[YOUTUBE]8Y6PCza-U_U[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

Due to my Exciting Encounter last Tuesday, I'm unable to present a new tune, so I hope y'all'll accept an old live recording w/ my then bassist, Fritz Martin...this was recorded at the 1998 OktoberFest, in New Braumfields, TX...as you'll hear towards the end of the tune, the stage wasn't too far away from the ASPCA booth. :p

Anywho...

There's a tiny island off the coast of Brazil called San Leone...it's virtually a Den of Iniquity of the finest type, where you can get pretty much anything you want, vice-wise, and all at the most reasonable prices! ;)

OTOH, it'd be very foolish to leave the island "possessing"... :eek:

While playing in a cantina down there, many years ago, I met a fellow Texan who pretty much could never leave, due some misunderstandings related to extradition... :facepalm:

As we chatted between sets, I realized this guy had some stories to tell...this one of them...

http://terryallanhall.com/txnexile.mp3

• Members

Greetings

This is my first time here on VOM. This song I recorded a few months ago (none of the new stuff is ready for prime-time so to speak). 2 guitars, bass, and the strings which were generated through a MIDI conversion program off of a 3rd guitar track. I do play this song solo when doing live shows. It's the title track for my next CD, called Angels On Fyre. Have a listen and enjoy

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=7299665

Thanks

Tony

• Members

Song: Me and Julio Down by the Schoolyard

By: Paul Simon

I was going to submit another song but I caught a cold late in the week and my singing wouldn't do it justice. So, I offer this instead.

I recorded this one a couple of weekends ago. Sorry, no whistling. I didn't want to ruin it. I've been playing this song for many years so I did it like I always play it, instead of trying to copy the original.

Enjoy.

Note: I tried to embed but it didn't work right, so here's the link:

• Members

rhancox, here is your embedded youtube.

(just delete all to the left of and including the =.)

[YOUTUBE]g1lRjObImZQ[/YOUTUBE]

OldGuitarPlayer- with those shades on you bear a remarkable resemblance to Jack Nicholson, you know that?

TSMusic- very good first effort. perhaps a bit over-the-top production-wise. I'd like to hear your solo guitar rendition of this that you mentioned.

• Members

Wow... the VOM is already off to a great start...

tbryson - Nice and simple strumming and amusing story (well, maybe not amusing while it was actually happening to your cousin)... I likes it! And, thanks for the chords and lyrics.

garthman - Nice work Garthman. I can't say I'm familiar with much of Cohen's work, but, I was digging the soulfulness of this tune.

Queequeg - Huh... I never knew the story behind the recording of this tune. Quite interesting! And you performed the song quite well. Thanks for sharing :thu:

pschaafs - A decade or so before my time. So, unfortunately, I can't say I'm familiar with the tune or, in reality, the band. However, with that said, I quite enjoyed your singing and playing even if I didn't recognize it... almost like an original tune for me ;)

Michael Martin - Very nice arrangement Michael :thu: I'm really grooving to the stripped down version, but I'd be curious to hear how the the 4-track + bass version sounds as well. Also, thanks for posting the lyrics

Stackabones - Fantastically amusing :thu: Two simple chords and a whole lot of truth... just about any piece of bread I toast succumbs to this "threat to national security."

gthom - Always enjoy listening to your stuff gthom. This tune is no different. It's like a nice 2 minute instrumental interlude in the middle of the VOM. Keep up the good work :thu:

mrmoe - Digitized in one take... that sounds like a good VOM1T to me ;) I have to say that this recording sounds great for being lifted off of a 30+ year old tape. As usual, your voice and playing sound great. I really dug the solo.

g6120 - Nice work Gil! You and Mr. Holbert crafted a quality tune. And, sometimes fate has ways of improving things. I don't know how the one-take version of the song sounded, but I really enjoyed the harmony vocal overdubs.

Terry Allan Hall - Hmmm... I don't know if I just got a bad connection to your site or if the recording itself has issue, but I kept getting sound dropping out which was quite unfortunate cause I was grooving to this tune. Enjoyed the lyrics and (I think) the dog barking in the background toward the end of the tune ;)

OldGuitarPlayer - LOL! Sometimes you just have to breakdown and play some Green Day ;) I completely enjoyed your acoustic rendition of this little ditty!

TSMusic - Welcome to the VOM. This is quite the introduction tune you've presented here. I really enjoyed it. Of course, now you've interested me in hearing what this sounds like when you play it solo during live shows.

rhancox - To address your YouTube embed issue, simply wrap g1lRjObImZQ (i.e the last little bit of your YouTube URL, with the [YOUTUBE] tag stuff and it should embed nicely for you. As for the tune itself, great work!

• Members

Now, on to the reviews:

Tbryson - Now if that don't hit home. Clever lyrics. Well done.

Garthman - Good job. I've never heard this one before but I liked it. Was the reverb electronically induced or natural room effect? It added a great element to the piece.

Queequeg - Very good. That was beautiful.

pschaafs - Well done. I liked the soft voice with that jazzy guitar sound.

FussenKuh - Flawless. I'd love to hear the meolody to those chords.

Michael Martin - Very nice. You are a master.

Stackabones - Great little tune. I have found myself singing this song in my head numerous times since you first posted it. You are the Toast Master.

gthom - Nicely done. It was a little too quiet in some parts, but you are miles above my abilities. Bravo.

mrmoe - Another classic from mrmoe. Awesome.

g6120 - Powerful song, Gil. Personally, I put this in the context of my basketball coaching. Touching young souls. Thanks.

Terry Allen Hall - hey, man. That's New Braunfels. Just kiddin. Cool song. Kinda Dylan-ish. Do you play the OktoberFest every year? I'd love to come here ya. It's just a 45 min drive for me. Hope all is well.

OldGuitarPlayer - Cool song. Great performance. I loved the shades. Nice touch.

TSMusic - Welcome to the VOM. Your song rocks. Where can we buy the CD? I'd love to hear more.

• Members

Well, my entry now that my wrists are somewhat allowing me to play again...

ZnyDIzQmRBQ

VOM1T, in all its gory glory!

Recorded this morning in a haste after I realized that today was the day... as always, thanks for the opportunity!

forgot to mention... this is a cover of George Strait's I can still make Cheyenne, maybe my personal all time favorite Strait song :)

• Members

Some great stuff again this month. This is so much fun! Gotta love the Interwebz for giving us the opportunity to listen to all this talent, whereas otherwise we'd be missing out. Thanks to all who participated already. I am having a bit of a tough time with my wrists lately, and have had to step away from the guitar, which is difficult for me to do, but watching/lsitening to you guys has put a smile on my face.

tbryson - Love the vibe, and I love the chords and words :)

garthman - I just got a DVD of famous artists singing Cohen's songs, so this is a perfect fit.. great job capturing the essence of the song!

Queequeg - What can I say... I always love your stuff.

pschaafs - I must admit that I didn't know this band. so thanks for opening that horizon for me, and what a great step into their music!

Michael Martin - You have a very special voice. I love the way it contrasts with your guitar work. Great stuff.

Stackabones - Man, count me in as a member of your fanclub. I love your attitude and the way it shines through when you play!

gthom - Your picking is awesome, but beyond that, having grown up listening to Brassens, you don't even know how pumped you made me. Thanks for that!

g6120 - Beautiful lyrics, well complemented by the melody. Hard to beat.

OldGuitarPlayer - Didn't know I could enjoy Green Day! But I did :)

TSMusic - Wow. Great stuff.

rhancox - You have the perfect voice to sing this song. And now I need to get me a 12-string again :D

• Members

GREAT JOB EVERYONE....WOW!! :thu:

Title: All Night Long

Credit: Tom Thompson(Tupelo Son)

Recorded with: Sony PCM D-50 a couple of weeks ago.

Guitar: Parkwood PW-320M

This is a snappy, happy, angry, confused, & celebratory tune. It's all there. For me it's celebratory. Hope y'all like it and thanks for listening.

http://www.box.net/shared/jm9jnbifb1

• Members

Title: Nobody Knows You

Credit: Eric Clapton

Link: http:/.www.siaris.net/music/nobodyknows.mp3

Here's my version of Clapton's "nobody knows you", because, well, I'm

feeling a little down and out after celebrating my wife's birthday last

night. A couple of clams (but fewer than I expected). As always, me, my

larrivee, and the H2 in my living room.

cheers,

andrew

:freak:

• Members

Title: Nobody Knows You

Credit: Eric Clapton

Link: http:/.
www.siaris.net/music/nobodyknows.mp3

Here's my version of Clapton's "nobody knows you", because, well, I'm

feeling a little down and out after celebrating my wife's birthday last

night. A couple of clams (but fewer than I expected). As always, me, my

larrivee, and the H2 in my living room.

cheers,

andrew

:freak:

Great job! I liked the seamless integration of single note runs in the strumming. Thanks for sharing!

Archived