Sign in to follow this  
TESmith

washburn D-12-12N

Not from memory one of the usual mentioned 12 strings.

Have found one supposed to be "like new" 200.00 firm

Should I go take a look, or wait til down the road later and get a higher quality guitar......I certainly do not need a 12 string, but many times when I hear them in action, I seem to like the sound alot, could be alot of fun

(I hear tales sometimes of tuning difficulties if it is a bad choice of model, so perhaps it would be less than fun?) Would the Wasburn be worth consideration, or perhaps more trouble than it would be worth?

It may be worth your while to test the ground now, rather than later, if the current price rises are anything to judge the current financial climate by. We've seen quite hefty increases in guitar prices lately and they seldom decrease once the sticky patch has passed.

I'd mention a 12 string YAMAHA, but may be frowned upon for doing so. ;)

Washburn's a decent brand and I expect you already know what to look out for when buying used. :thu:

What happened to the recorder?

How old is that Washburn? Apparently, that model has been discontinued. I found a MusiciansFriend web page that showed it for $249 ($419 list), just for an idea of how much they may have gone for new.

You know others will warn against cheap 12-strings. I'd definitely want to get my hands on it first. Whether it will be more trouble than it's worth will be dependent on what kind of shape it's in, how old it is and how it's been cared for. If "Like new" is an accurate assessment, $200 would be a good deal for a 12-string. Maybe not for a lifetime, but worth $200.

, but may be frowned upon for doing so.
;)

Washburn's a decent brand and I expect you already know what to look out for when buying used.
:thu:

Gary seems to secretly be a Yamaha dealer. :eek::facepalm:

I'm sure you'll get advice from more experienced members on 12 strings, but I would like to give kudos to the Washburn brand. I have one of their guitars

and I have played some friends and tryed store models and I have found them to be consistently well made and easy players. Some models do seem over built robbing sound.

I think for an asking price of 200 its worth checking out. Make an offer it is

a buyers market for that class of guitar, all they can say is no ,there is tons of gits out there.

I'd mention a 12 string YAMAHA,
but may be frowned upon for doing so.

Gary, that put the biggest smile on my face

You know how I love to tease you on this, that started several posts back!

But you get it and play right along:thu:

3k83p63ofZZZZZZZZZ9430e573df184c011f7.jp

Here is the picture from the ad for the Washburn. It is about an hour away, I may drive over and see it and give it a test drive. Really for now I am not out for a guitar with the exception I am watching Craigs list locally to see if I can get a decent old, Harmony, Stella, Kay something along those lines on the cheap. I would kind of like to have one, see them come up now and then.

That is how the ad for the 12 string Washburn caught my eye. I have an interest and would perhaps like a twelve string, one day to play and experiment with. How ever it has not been in my mind that time has come now..

For the most part the Washburn lower end guitars are usually spoke fairly well of (Ok Gary maybe a step below the comparible Yamaha) That got me thinking and wondering how one of their 12 strings may be .....Kind of thought well if it was said these may be decent and 200.00 would put me into a 12 string.....hmmmmmm.

What happened to the recorder?

I am seriously thinking on a recorder still, The more I think on it, the more I feel it could be useful for me at times, especially for my lessons. I guess I am still studying and thinking about it and how much I would really use it. Also trying to decide if I should go ahead with a cheaper one like the H2 or if I should work on saving a bit more and get better. I guess trying to sort and reason it all out.

I'd mention a 12 string YAMAHA,
but may be frowned upon for doing so.

Gary, that put the biggest smile on my face

You know how I love to tease you on this, that started several posts back!

But you get it and play right along
:thu:

I enjoy a laugh. :thu:

3k83p63ofZZZZZZZZZ9430e573df184c011f7.jp
Here is the picture from the ad for the Washburn. It is about an hour away, I may drive over and see it and give it a test drive. Really for now I am not out for a guitar with the exception I am watching Craigs list locally to see if I can get a decent old, Harmony, Stella, Kay something along those lines on the cheap. I would kind of like to have one, see them come up now and then.

That is how the ad for the 12 string Washburn caught my eye. I have an interest and would perhaps like a twelve string, one day to play and experiment with. How ever it has not been in my mind that time has come now..

In all honesty, you'll not go far wrong if you run through as many structural checks as possible during a test drive - especially in terms of bracing, action and seaking out tell tale signs of flaws. An honest seller will answer any questions put to him/her, but walk away if you find yourself in any doubt, unless you're 100% certain a given flaw can be easily repaired.

For the most part the Washburn lower end guitars are usually spoke fairly well of (Ok Gary maybe a step below the comparible Yamaha) That got me thinking and wondering how one of their 12 strings may be .....Kind of thought well if it was said these may be decent and 200.00 would put me into a 12 string.....hmmmmmm.

Washburn make some damned fine instruments and I like a lot of what I've seen, owned and played, but the likes of Crafter, Cort, Tanglewood, etc. are wholely capable of matching and surpassing their products. I'd seriously consider buying new if you're thinking of investing in a keeper, because neck, bracing and bridge problems aren't too uncommon on 12 strings.

Research and plenty of test drives are key to obtaining good results. :thu:

I am seriously thinking on a recorder still, The more I think on it, the more I feel it could be useful for me at times, especially for my lessons. I guess I am still studying and thinking about it and how much I would really use it. Also trying to decide if I should go ahead with a cheaper one like the H2 or if I should work on saving a bit more and get better. I guess trying to sort and reason it all out.

I used to used an old tape recorder (Back in the 70's) when learning new tunes and they can certainly come in handy for revising technique and your teacher's instruction. A good one would have been handy last week during my abortive attempt to record a few guitar comparison samples :facepalm:, but I've been experimenting with Audacity and am gaining reasonable results via my desktop's mic and soundcard. :thu:

With so many recording gadgets possessing brilliant features IMHO the best route would be to rearch as much as possible before committing and buy in at a level capable of matching or surpassing your intended target.

Did I mention YAMAHA?

just wondering if you stock Crafters Gary ? :poke:
:lol:

Tim - just think how long it would take you to change strings
:facepalm:

I'll have to check my private stock behind the counter. ;)

It is a discontinued model. In it's day, it was considererd a student level instrument. I own several Washburns and they are by far one of the most underrated brands on the market today.

As with the D10 series, there was a D12-12 and a D12S-12, with the S denoting a solid top. I had a D12S-12 for a couple of years and it was built like a tank. I just couldn't warm up to the neck profile on it so I ended up selling it. Sounded good though.......no complaints in that department. If you like it, for $200 for a Washburn 12 string you can't go wrong.

It is a discontinued model. In it's day, it was considererd a student level instrument. I own several Washburns and they are by far one of the most underrated brands on the market today.

As with the D10 series, there was a D12-12 and a D12S-12, with the S denoting a solid top. I had a D12S-12 for a couple of years and it was built like a tank. I just couldn't warm up to the neck profile on it so I ended up selling it. Sounded good though.......no complaints in that department. If you like it, for $200 for a Washburn 12 string you can't go wrong.

There you go, Tim. I was hoping WashburnGuy would chime in for you.