Update Thread for OhioArrow/Joe

Samilyn

• Members

I decided to start a new thread so that anyone who is interested can follow for updates on our dear friend's condition. The old mojo thread is getting buried. I'll keep this one alive with daily updates.

As of 3:20 p.m. (pac time) today (4/12) I received word that Joe woke up a few times.

He is heavily medicated, in a lot of pain (of course), and not very coherent, but woke up enough to recognize and speak to each of his daughters.

It is reported that the nurses and staff are quite pleased with his progress.

Thanks to the many of you who are keeping your prayers, thoughts, good wishes and good mojo going strong for him.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Thanks for all the replies, everyone.

I'll do the best I can to keep you updated. His family is, quite naturally, very stressed out, and they're being wonderful about updating me and some others so one of us can pass the info along to you all.

• Members

Hi Everyone. Here's the latest.......

As of 12:00 noon (eastern time) Joe went back into surgery to have his leg wound repaired. This is where they took tissue to graft onto his heart.

His docs felt that he is strong enough to withstand this, so that is good news indeed.

He will spend at least one or two more days in the cardiac ICU before being moved to regular ICU. He is expected to spend about a week there.

Once he is in regular ICU, he will be less restricted and be allowed to have an iPod or CD player, so he'll hear the latest VOM. I'm sure that will help lift his spirits. :)

• Members

Just FYI:

(1) He's back in his room now and the leg is closed up and on its way to healing.

(2) I'm starting a caper for him. Some things have come to my attention and we can help out, so see the caper thread. Thanks bunches!

• Members

That's really good news, Samilyn!

What ype of iPod does he have? Does it have video capabilities? If not then should some of us try and see if we can rip the audio tracks off our Youtube videos?

I'm not sure what type of player the kids are going to take to him, but I do know that Stephen spent a lot of hours using Audacity to make recordings of all the VOM last night - even the Youtube audio tracks.

Stephen has also printed the posts from the VOM and various threads so Joe can read your good wishes. He will be allowed to do so once he goes to the less-restricted ICU - hopefully in only another day or so.

His doc did threaten to kill him if he smuggled in a laptop...:eek:..... so I think vids are out of the question for the time being.

• Members

Great news, folks.

Joe is still doing well and the docs have decided to move him to a "less guarded" ICU room from his "heavily guarded" one. If there are no setbacks tonight, he will be moved tomorrow.

Though still in ICU, in this more relaxed atmosphere he will be allowed to watch TV and listen to an iPod or CD player. He is looking forward to hearing the VOM, which Stephen recorded for him yesterday.

His condition is still guarded, but he is improving. There is still great risk of infection and it will still be some time before he is out of the ICU environment altogether.

He is able to speak to his daughters now, though it tires him greatly. This is also an excellent sign of recovery.

More updates will follow as I get 'em. Thanks to all of you for keeping the good prayers, thoughts and mojo going strong.

Archived