Strings cutting through bridge pin holes - normal?

MisterTV

• Members

This is a possibly stupid question, but I'll ask anyways

Is something "wrong" when steel strings start to slice through bridge pin holes? It's something that's happened on every acoustic I've ever owned - but then again I've only owned budget-priced guitars. Do higher-end acoustics have this problem, if it is indeed a problem?

Hotlink to a picture from frets.com as an example...

018bridge04.jpg

• Members

The picture you've posted shows bridge pin ramping - it allows strings to have an improved break angle - and is different to the problem you mention. It's not uncommon for strings to wear grooves into one side of un-ramped bridge pin slots and one of the remedies is to provide string ramps.

• Members

i believe the 'slices' in the example picture are intentional, called 'ramping the bridge'- to help achieve a better break angle, sometimes done when the saddle becomes to low due to adjustment or the need to reset the neck angle.

bridges can also be 'slotted'- to allow the strings to seat a bit differently- its not unusual to see ramping and slotting done in tandem.

i am sure some wear on he bridge is normal- a picture of your actual bridge will be the best way to really see the issue.

have a great search for the answer- the journey is normally the best part of the trip. 8^)

• Members

OK, I learned something new today... which is why this site rocks.

I never would have guessed those grooves were intentional. Every acoustic I've ever had has been "pre-owned" - so I always assumed those slots were a byproduct of string tension over time.

• Members

Actually, there are two things here. "Ramping the bridge" means cutting exit slots to get the best break angle behind the saddle (ideally about 45 degrees). "Slotting the bridge" means cutting slots all the way through the bridge for the strings to rest in rather than the slots in the pins (you either turn the pins around or use unslotted ones). The advantage of slotting is that the balls are pulled up tight against the bridge plate and there is less side force on the pointed end of the pin (this reduces wear on the bridge plate).

They are different - you can do one, the other or both. Bryan Kimsey has a good discussion - go to Lutherie and look for the discussion on slotted bridges

http://www.bryankimsey.com/

Archived