Sign in to follow this  
plurabelle

update: yamaha fg 335

so, i just got this thing. last night i was impressed with it, but not convinced itd be a main stage guitar. the seagull had it beat handsdown in tone, volume, and playability. the strings were kinda shot, but not completely gone, but i decided to throw some new ones on anyway. WELL LET ME TELL YOU SOMETHING. this guitar sounds like a $1400 taylor. all i did was clean it up and put a set of martin 80/20 bronze strings .012-.054 on it. holy crap the old guitar came alive! thats what i get for ignoring you guys for so long! lol.

oh and just for all the guys wailing on the each other in the bridge pin thread-

the bridge pins on this guitar appear to be original, look like theyve been thru a garbage disposal, are plastic, and two of em are broken. guitar still sounds like it cost more than $1000.

I see you use the same strings I do. Excellent taste. ;) Seriously, a new set of strings will make a profound difference, although I question whether your Yamaha sounds like a $1000 guitar. If that were true of every moderately-priced guitar that supposedly "blows away a $1000 Taylor, Martin, etc." then nobody would be buying those $1000 Taylors, Martins, etc. My Ibanez sounds really good to me for a $350 box but there's no way anyone would mistake it for a really expensive guitar.

Anyway, I'm glad you're loving your "new" Yamaha and congratulations on the new band. Keep us posted on how that goes. Especially, let me know if you ever get up to St. Louis. I'll try to come out and listen.

...although I question whether your Yamaha sounds like a $1000 guitar. If that were true of every moderately-priced guitar that supposedly "blows away a $1000 Taylor, Martin, etc." then nobody would be buying those $1000 Taylors, Martins, etc.

I've played some Yamahas that sounded every bit as good, even better than some "$1000 Taylors, Martins, etc."..., and some of them were laminates! Certainly, this isn't true of "every moderately-priced guitar", quite the contrary. While Martins and Taylors are indeed outstanding guitars, IMHO many buy them simply for name status.

Before we head off on the "nothing sounds like a (fill in the blank)" tangent, read carefully.

Plurabelle said it "sounds like" a $1400 Taylor. And that it "sounds like" it costs more than $1000.

Everyone knows sound is subjective. And plurabelle wasn't even suggesting that his Yamaha was better than a guitar costing more than $1000. He said it sounded like it.

All it is, is good news for him. He got a gift and with new strings, he's happier than a puppy with two peters. But that doesn't mean that Taylor and Martin have to close up shop.

Edit: One last thing. I love my Yamaha 12-string. I think it sounds better than what it's worth. But I still want Sangemon's new Martin 12-string. :thu:

While guitar may sound fantastic, it doesn't have the feel of a more expensive guitar. This yamaha will most definitely be with me forever, and will definitely see a gig or two. However, it is a far cry from anything that taylor makes in the $1000+ price range. I keep throwing out the brand taylor because I still plan on getting a 214ce sometime in the near future. I've played several, several taylors, and this guitar has that jangly, bright, ringing tone that I like about that particular brand.

My old Yamaha FG340 sounds better than most guitars I have played up to the $1,000 to $1200 level. It may not look or have the right action (kind of high) but for pure tone and volume (its a loud mother) it will hold its own with the mid priced big boys.

My old Yamaha FG340 sounds better than most guitars I have played up to the $1,000 to $1200 level. It may not look or have the right action (kind of high) but for pure tone and volume (its a loud mother) it will hold its own with the mid priced big boys.

+1

thats exactly the point i was trying to make. it aint a cadillac, but it sounds like one.

I've played some Yamahas that sounded every bit as good, even better than some "$1000 Taylors, Martins, etc."..., and some of them were laminates! Certainly, this isn't true of "every moderately-priced guitar", quite the contrary. While Martins and Taylors are indeed outstanding guitars,
IMHO many buy them simply for name status

Is there a difference between "simply for the name" and reputation? Because when buying a guitar reputation does come into play in the decision process. Is the manufacture known to stand by their products ect. ect.

Tone is very subjective so I won't agrue the whole my 200 dollar guitar sound much better then his 2000 dollar model.

I will say that in my experience not all lower end guitars are created equal. Solid topped Yammies are made out of wood. Each piece of wood is unique and some just simply sound better then others. Martin/Taylor go out of there way to test and shop for the best woods but that doesn't mean that a lower end yammy can't get a amazing sounding board.

My brother has a Washburn d100 that I bought a couple years back for around 120. I have yet to see anyone play it with out strumming a couple bars then stopping holding the guitar out and giving it a second look over trying to figure out the trick. It's a great sounding guitar. I've tried to find one for myself and played every d10 and d100 washburn I see. Done of them come close.

. If that were true of every moderately-priced guitar that supposedly "blows away a $1000 Taylor, Martin, etc." then nobody would be buying those $1000 Taylors, Martins, etc.

Lots of people buy those guitars precisely because they have "Taylor" and "Martin" etc written on the headstock. There are guitars one the market these days that sound just as good as the "famous names" for less than 1/3 of their price.

Lots of people buy those guitars precisely because they have "Taylor" and "Martin" etc written on the headstock. There are guitars one the market these days that sound just as good as the "famous names" for less than 1/3 of their price.

Not arguing that there are some awesome sounding--and in some cases just plain awesome--guitars out there at reasonable prices. Nor that there aren't high-end makers that are essentially resting on their laurels. Frankly--and I fully expect to upset some folks here--I haven't seen very many new Martins for less than $2000 or so that did anything for me. Taylor is at least still trying at the low end from what I can see/hear. That said, yes, lower Asian labor costs make it possible to produce instruments that are easily comparable to much more expensive North American made examples. I've heard and played some very impressive ones. But not every low priced guitar blows away a more expensive instrument. Read the reviews here at Harmony Central and you'll see that a number say something similar to this: "My XYZ Model 123 blows away everything I've ever AB'd it against." So pardon me for being a bit jaded. I am not saying that plurabelle can't like his guitar or be proud of it, or that it doesn't sound like a $1000 guitar to him. I'm simply saying that there's a difference beyond the name on the headstock.