Ke$ha's New Video - 'Die Young'

LordBTY

• Members

This has received a fair bit of attention recently. Why? Note the satanic and Illuminati symbols... yup, in a mainstream pop video. I know I was pretty shocked by it. See, the difference between Ke$ha and Mick Jagger doing this is that Ke$ha actually comes off like she's going to lead the end of civilization.

I'm wondering what everyone else thinks. I'm really curious about the team/committee that decided to market the single this way. It's pretty ballsy, I gotta say. Even though satanism is nothing new, this feels truly evil.

• Members

I'm not easily offended by such things, and I'm not even all that hip to what constitutes a lot of Satanic and Illuminati symbols. Triangles and stars? OK. But mostly I'm struck by what is a rather dark video shot to a typically upbeat/party Ke$ha song. Doesn't really fit and it all seems horribly gratuitous.

I guess that's where you gotta take things to get people talking about a video so they'll bother to view it anymore? Worked for you and me, anyway.

• Members

I see (and always saw) videos as telling a story, and artistic impressions. Many directors and artists end up making songs and videos that have nothing to do with each other (stupid IMO, but that's a different topic)..

As far as satanic stuff in the video, it's actually pagan (stars, triangles), but you could say the same things about Rush's 2112 album from 1976. Or a def leppard video from the 80's..

With Ke$ha, I'd chalk it up more as an attempt to gain attention by shock than any real artistic attempt to tell a story, although clearly they ARE trying to tell a story, but with the sensationalism added, it just falls on it's face IMO.

Summary: Nothing to see here, move along.

• Members

Alright, I've said it before: I'm a Kesha fan.

Most of her material is earnest or satire, but I'm so excited for this new album because she's working with other really talented people and trying to experiment as much as she can within her genre. The first video for this song was so subtle, and the best one I have seen in years.

This video is... pretty awesome. It reminds me of the sixties right when Charles Manson became infamous: Orgies in churches, Anton Lavey, dabbling in Satanism and witchcraft, trippy/experimental imagery, etc. She's made it clear in interviews that she prefers music from this period and the seventies.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by guido61

View Post

The upside-down cross is the sign of St Peter, the first Pope of the Catholic Church.

Combine it with the fact that the hearse logo has been altered to read "EVIL", and that they are breaking into, vandalizing, and desecrating a church, what would you say is the most likely symbolism of the inverted crosses?

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by AVisme

View Post

Combine it with the fact that the hearse logo has been altered to read "EVIL", and that they are breaking into, vandalizing, and desecrating a church, what would you say is the most likely symbolism of the inverted crosses?

Not sure. No doubt I'll have to play it backwards to figure out what it all means.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by LordBTY View Post
This has received a fair bit of attention recently. Why? Note the satanic and Illuminati symbols... yup, in a mainstream pop video. I know I was pretty shocked by it. See, the difference between Ke$ha and Mick Jagger doing this is that Ke$ha actually comes off like she's going to lead the end of civilization.

I'm wondering what everyone else thinks. I'm really curious about the team/committee that decided to market the single this way. It's pretty ballsy, I gotta say. Even though satanism is nothing new, this feels truly evil.
LOL!!!

• Members

See, this is nothing more than a way to garner attention. "Ooooh, look how evil I am, using the Eye in the Triangle, Pentagrams, and inverted crosses." The goal is to get people thinking Kesha is an Illuminati, Satanist, occultist, whatever. The point is your thinking about her, which has the potential to translate to recording sales or ticket sales.

As others have said, it's all been done before. Now, if she were able to insert legitimate occult symbolism into her music and not some stupid video, that would be worth a listen.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Moderators

I think she's really, really clever.

She stated clearly right before this CD came out that she was trying to tap into a little rock and roll vibe. Or a closer paraphrase is, "I want to revive rock and roll." A little hyperbole never hurt a pop star. And she calls her new music "cock pop" alluding to cock rock of the 70's. Of course that track doesn't have much "rock" about it, but the images are clearly doing a heavy rock shock deal. It's total comic book rock imagery. Fun stuff in a totally cheeky way.

The images completely tie into the concept of hedonism and not bothering yourself with ideas of prudence and consequence. Now THAT is rock and roll. I think what sets her idea apart is really the juxtaposition of a straight pop star doing it. It's clever. Well done Ke$ha.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Lee Knight View Post
I think she's really, really clever.

She stated clearly right before this CD came out that she was trying to tap into a little rock and roll vibe. Or a closer paraphrase is, "I want to revive rock and roll." A little hyperbole never hurt a pop star. And she calls her new music "cock pop" alluding to cock rock of the 70's. Of course that track doesn't have much "rock" about it, but the images are clearly doing a heavy rock shock deal. It's total comic book rock imagery. Fun stuff in a totally cheeky way.

The images completely tie into the concept of hedonism and not bothering yourself with ideas of prudence and consequence. Now THAT is rock and roll. I think what sets her idea apart is really the juxtaposition of a straight pop star doing it. It's clever. Well done Ke$ha.
Yeah, I think she's smart.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived