Martin Guitar factory tour

The Real MC

• Members

I've been to the factory three times - 1982, 1992, and last week.

It was a great visit and the visitor center is MUCH better than it used to be. The factory tour was fascinating but the museum is excellent. They have exhibits stretching all the way from 1830s Martins to the 1,000,000th Martin.

The new family CEO - Chris Martin - is dedicated to the Martin legacy and has done an excellent job of introducing new models and maintaining an impressive collection for the museum. The improvement to visitor resources is remarkedly better since my last two visits.

If you want your Martin modified - add a pickup, add a preamp, custom inlay work (your own personalized fingerboard) - you can bring it to the factory and they can do the work while you take the tour.

Well worth a visit.

• Members

Did it last Summer. Excellent experience.

I just remembered, they gave us spruce soundhole "cutouts" with the 155th Anniversary graphics laser engraved. Haven't seen them since we returned. Damn! :confused:

• Members

If you want your Martin modified - add a pickup, add a preamp, custom inlay work (your own personalized fingerboard) - you can bring it to the factory and they can do the work while you take the tour.

Well worth a visit.

Really how much does some customer inlay work cost?

• Members

It's a great tour. I've been there a number of times now, and I currently have a guitar at the factory for repair.

I drove it down last week. My 90 year old father was visiting and I asked him if he'd like to come. He's never played a musical instrument and knows nothing about guitars. So he said, "OK" and we packed up my D12-35 and drove down to Nazareth, about an hour and a half away. When we got there the receptionist invited us to hang out in the museum while waiting for Dave from the repair department to come out and talk to me. Dad went into the museum while I signed us up for a tour, and then Dave came out and I left the old man in the museum while I went over the repair order with Dave. What a nice guy. After leaving my guitar with him we took the tour, which Dad really loved. Then we had meatball sandwiches at Mivajo's across the street and headed home.

When we got home Dad was all over my Martins. He wanted to see all of them. He was checking out all of the little details that he had seen being put together at the factory, the bindings, the nuts, the bridges and saddles. He was fascinated with how everything he had seen that day came together in the end product. The following day he headed home to L.A.

After he got home I spoke with him and he told me that on the plane ride home they had shown the movie "Walk The Line" all he did through the whole movie was look at the guitars.

I just got an email from him few minutes ago. He said, "You should write a song. Call it 'Caught Between The Saddle And The Nut'".

I think I've created a monster.

• Members

It's a great tour. I've been there a number of times now, and I currently have a guitar at the factory for repair.

I drove it down last week. My 90 year old father was visiting and I asked him if he'd like to come. He's never played a musical instrument and knows nothing about guitars. So he said, "OK" and we packed up my D12-35 and drove down to Nazareth, about an hour and a half away. When we got there the receptionist invited us to hang out in the museum while waiting for Dave from the repair department to come out and talk to me. Dad went into the museum while I signed us up for a tour, and then Dave came out and I left the old man in the museum while I went over the repair order with Dave. What a nice guy. After leaving my guitar with him we took the tour, which Dad really loved. Then we had meatball sandwiches at Mivajo's across the street and headed home.

When we got home Dad was all over my Martins. He wanted to see all of them. He was checking out all of the little details that he had seen being put together at the factory, the bindings, the nuts, the bridges and saddles. He was fascinated with how everything he had seen that day came together in the end product. The following day he headed home to L.A.

After he got home I spoke with him and he told me that on the plane ride home they had shown the movie "Walk The Line" all he did through the whole movie was look at the guitars.

I just got an email from him few minutes ago. He said, "You should write a song. Call it 'Caught Between The Saddle And The Nut'".

Great story.

• Members

I dig it. Neat.

• Members

Nazareth is about a two hour drive from here

I have been to Nazareth racing sprint cars years ago (I was pit crew not driver) But never been to Martin

I may have to borrow the idea and take my Dad and go
He is 82, and a non musician as well. He does love quality construction, he is a good wood worker as well as tool and die maker and engineer, He would probably enjoy it very much. I think we would both enjoy the tour I think it would be a wonderful idea!

Hmmm has anyone ever tried to put a day together where several of us from here go and meet up there, could be an idea as well? (or is that a been there done that thing?)

• Members

Nazareth is about a two hour drive from here

Hmmm has anyone ever tried to put a day together where several of us from here go and meet up there, could be an idea as well? (or is that a been there done that thing?)

well... you might say that.

UMGF has what they call the annual NazFest.

huge Martin rally in Nazareth, PA.

usually in August.

every motel/hotel/B&B (and manger I imagine) is sold out for 100 miles around.

Archived