Effective ways to promote a music video?

RichardMid

• Members

Hey Folks,

About 3 weeks ago, I released a single/music video on YouTube, and have been promoting it via my fan email list, FB music page, personal FB list, MySpace, etc. Some of those folks in my circle have shared it on to their circles, and there may be additional "third- or fourth-degree" shares I don't know about.

So far, it's had over 700 views, and the response has been very positive. But now the pace is slowing, which suggests that what promotion I've done so far has nearly run its course, and I need some new ideas.

I've been making a list of music sites, blogs, 'zines, FB pages, etc. that might be a good fit, and I've begun, and will continue, to contact them.. but that list isn't very long, and what steps I've taken in that direction so far haven't borne much fruit (though sometimes it's hard to tell).

** So.... How have you promoted your own music video(s)? What has worked and what hasn't? Are there particular sites or strategies you would recommend?

Any advice, success/horror stories, or promising promotional targets you can share would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

-Richard M., Seattle
www.richardmiddletonmusic.com
( The video in question:

)

• Members

Hmm...when I did my first video it got to about 500 views and then slowed dramatically, and I too wonder how to promote it (and me in general) while at the same time avoiding the typical spam type stuff. I think it automatically helps if you're a longstanding member of several of these types of discussion boards and have a wide circle of ENTHUSIASTIC friends, but beyond that? I really don't know.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by grace_slick View Post
I think it automatically helps if you're a longstanding member of several of these types of discussion boards and have a wide circle of ENTHUSIASTIC friends, but beyond that? I really don't know.
Thanks, grace_slick. Yes - the enthusiasm of my personal/professional network has been wonderful, and has carried me this far. But it seems that something else is needed if I want to take it farther and get the video before a wider audience. I think there's potential there for something cool to happen, if some venue with greater reach were to take a shine to it.. but who and how are a mystery to me.

Maybe if Oprah dug it, that would help. smile.gif

Any ideas or experiences to share, anyone?

-Richard M

• Moderators

What did you expect to happen?
How much money have you invested in promotion so far?
You need something 'special' these days to generate buzz and get hits....and you need to get the word out, which means paid promo.
You could spend some $ on an SEO marketer so that anytime/anywhere the word 'video' is keyed in your video pops up...wink.gif

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by daddymack View Post
What did you expect to happen?
How much money have you invested in promotion so far?
You need something 'special' these days to generate buzz and get hits....and you need to get the word out, which means paid promo.
Sure, I get that.. that's always been true in the music business.
As far as what I "expect to happen," nothing about the drop-off in my video views surprises me.

What has also always been true in the music business - perhaps now more than ever - is that there are artists who achieve some level of success independently, without the benefit of professional management, publicists, and so on.

My point with this thread is that I'm hoping there are other Harmony Central folks who've had some luck promoting their own videos independently, and who could share their experiences and ideas with the rest of us.

I plan to do a lot of leg work myself (because that's all I can currently afford), and I'm trying to identify strategies and venues that will yield the best results.

Perhaps there aren't folks here in Harmony Central who've had any luck or success with independent video promotion....?

-Richard M.

• Members

The initial views come from your friends watching it and sharing it.

But they're your friends, not actual fans. There is a serious, huge difference.

If and when your video garners actual, true fans (i.e. people who don't know you in real life), then your views will go back up. There's nothing you can do except leave it on YouTube and watch for results.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by niceguy View Post
The initial views come from your friends watching it and sharing it.

But they're your friends, not actual fans. There is a serious, huge difference.

If and when your video garners actual, true fans (i.e. people who don't know you in real life), then your views will go back up. There's nothing you can do except leave it on YouTube and watch for results.
I agree entirely about the source of the views so far - all first- and second-degree connections via my own network.

I disagree with your second point, though - I believe there are things I can do to spread the word beyond my network.. such as getting song/video reviews, connecting with blogs and FB pages and sites that are receptive to indie music, reaching out to tastemakers and influencers in related communities (including those not directly involved in music or pop culture), sending press releases to media outlets receptive to indies... All of which I've begun doing, or will soon be doing, following my initial research.

Other folks have done independent music video promotion, with varying degrees of success. My hope is that some of them will jump aboard this thread and share what has and hasn't worked for them.

-Richard M.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

There are hundreds of music channels worldwide.

Of course it is also good to be on CCTV at new years evening show when 1.3 billion Chinese watch this show, then next Monday it rains money. You better call the street cleaners Sunday evening, or the cash on the street is stolen Monday at 4 a.m..

Archived