NGD day......well used that is

C70man

• Members

I have been looking for a 12 string Penco forever. That is a decent one. Someone to keep my 6 string company. Well, low and behold, I found it.

It needs some work....a fret job, replacement of an adjustable bridge and saddle with bone, and change out the nut with bone. I'm going to change out the pins, and I may replace the tuners, but right now they look fine. I won't know until I string it, which won't happen for at least two to three weeks.

It has a solid spruce top and probably laminated sides and back.....really hard to tell. Solid one piece mahogany neck. Rosewood fingerboard and bridge. The bracing is in really good shape as is the body in general. A scuff mark on one of the shoulders and a few scratches, but not all that bad for pushing near 40 years old. The headstock is super clean as is the inlay. The binding matches my A14M perfectly as does the rosette on the sound hole. The serial number is very low which would indicate an early 70's. Kind of a nice duo....both made in Japan.

Here's a composite photo and a shot of my A14M....I'm stoked!

b196483891.jpg

b195883625.jpg

• Members

Thanks FLGator, it really is pretty clean. It's amazing how nearly exact in overall size the two Penco's are. Side by side they are almost identical except for the height of the headstock.

But thats where the similarities end. The A14M has an ebony bridge and fingerboard, the A12-20 is rosewood. The A12 also has a one piece neck, whereas the A14M has a three piece. I wonder if being a 12 string has anything to do with it? The nut widths vary too....the 6 string is 1-11/16, the 12 string is 1-7/8. And the shape of the two necks vary quite a bit. The 12 string is thinner and uniformly thin all the way down the neck.

I can't wait to string it up and hear what I got....oh, the wait, the bloody wait.

• Members

That six string is gorgeous and I am happy for you that you found the 12'er that you were looking for.

Enjoy.

Thanks, I bought the 6 string new. It came in a crappy case that fell apart years ago. Then it got the closet for about 10 years. When it came out it had a decent bow under the bridge. I replaced the bridge with a tailpiece and played it like that for a couple of years. Then back in the closet for 4 or 5 more. Then I ressurected the guitar again and decided to fix it properly. I found a really good repair/luthier guy and he turned it into what you see in the picture. I love playing the guitar. It is effortless. I can play on it for hours.

Anyway, the 12 is going to the same guy and I get to work on it myself with his instruction in his shop....so I'm stoked about that too.....can't wait to start working on it and getting it in playing condition.....

• Members

Thanks, I bought the 6 string new. It came in a crappy case that fell apart years ago. Then it got the closet for about 10 years. When it came out it had a decent bow under the bridge. I replaced the bridge with a tailpiece and played it like that for a couple of years. Then back in the closet for 4 or 5 more. Then I resserected the guitar again and decided to fix it properly. I found a really good repair/luthier guy and he turned it into what you see in the picture. I love playing the guitar. It is effortless. I can play on it for hours.

Anyway, the 12 is going to the same guy and I get to work on it myself with his instruction in his shop....so I'm stoked about that too.....can't wait to start working on it and getting it in playing condition.....

Congrats! :thu:

• Members

I never heard of the brand; so today I got an education! Some of the earlier, more obscure Japanese brands have turned out to be surprisingly fine instruments. I'd love to hear a clip one day.

Penco is better know for their electric "lawsuit" guitars. Penco's weren't made by Ibanez, but they were manufactured at the Hoshino guitar factory where Ibanez guitars were made at that time in the mid 70's. Hoshino also made top-notch Greco guitars and a few other brands and had an excellent reputation as one of Japan's best guitar manufacturers, along with Matsumoku and Fuji-Gen Gakki.

I bought mine because of the price (about $200). It was less than a new Guild D25 (about $400 with case) and to me looked and sounded better. I remember the salesman telling me how Penco's were going to give "Guild", his other brand of guitar, a run for their money. At the time, I tried 3 or 4 that he had and ended up with the maple A-14M. It sounded good new and I really liked the neck.....The modifications I made years later really helped the instruments sound. I can't get over the fact that the binding and general construction remains strong after so much mistreatment and hard playing.

There are also Penco J200's out there. Supposedly exact copies of the Gibson J200. Solid woods, etc......I am on the hunt for one.

• 11 years later...