RIP Michal Jackson

daklander

• Members

People who think that his legal problems added to his fame must not have been old enough to have lived through music in the 1980's. That guy was Elvis and the Beatles combined back then.

His notoriety in the later years took away from his fame if anything.

He had everything back then. An unheard of combination of the look, the dancing, the singing, the production, the crossover appeal, the worldwide acceptance, the songs.

If he hadn't imploded from being so mentally unstable, he could have made billions more touring the world at a time when the music industry is going belly up. That guy OWNED MTV and the Grammys.

So very well said

+1000:thu:

I do not know if we will ever see a mix of it all come together like it did for MJ

For him lightning struck several times. Unless you were a witness to it, you can not imagine, I try to explain to my daughters and step daughters how big the guy was in the Thriller/Bad time frame and they just do not get it...

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Not the same picture but from the same time. Does she not look old?

Learning that her brother was dying if not already dead was perhaps enough to make her face look much older at that very precise moment... Nerves... :(

• Members

Since I started the thread I suppose I should weight in.

I personally could not care less. Yeah I get his importance to the music and video scene but in the overall context of my life it means squat.

I'm much more affected by the death of Farrah Fawcett since we share cancer, though different forms.

I'm much more concerned and feel more sorrow for the armed forces personnel who have been killed protecting our rights or have been injured in action, suffer from PTSD, are/were exposed to toxins of various types and left to die without care or regard by the DVA. That's the Department of Veterans Antagonists.

In reality, and for the vast majority of us, the stars, music, movie & etc, are no more than entertainment and should garner no more grief or uproar, other than at the loss of a fellow human being, than the closing of our favorite roller coaster ride.

• Members

Has anyone seen LaToya since Michael died?

Just askin'...
;)

Heh. And how 'bout Janet? I forget which, but yes indeed one of them was a dead ringer for MJ in some pictures I've seen. No pun intended. (And no, not being flippant about MJ's death here--it's very sad for those close to him)

The downside of relying on "visual" aesthetics to such a degree is how age overtakes you, no matter how many operations you have. Those of us with faces made for radio have nothing to lose! :)

• Members

I'm not a fan of what video has done to music...its more about bling than substance. But again I'm an old guy. I grew up listening to the radio. When I listened to Dylan, Steve Goodman, Leo Kottke, Allman Brothers etc. it wasn't about show, it was about talent. Admittedly great bands like the Beatles, Zeppelin, etc. were marketed, but relied on their sound, not their dancing and fashion.

Timing is everything. When MJ was ready so was Cable and the new way to Watch/Listen to music. He invented the trend for Pop. I'm not a big fan of it, but obviously many are.

+1

I really dislike videos. Nothing more than advertisement.

Nothing but:

theater

costume changes

fluff

One white glove. What the hell was that all about?

Archived