RIP Michal Jackson

daklander

• Members

I'ld say yes because he had the ability to stay current through the years and the numbers speak for them self. The best selling Album of all time and a influence to many of today's artists.

I agree...though I've never really been a big fan of his music...his tunes were very well crafted and executed...you don't stay on top that long based on 'lifestyle' alone.

My condolences go out to the Jackson family and Michael's friends and fans.:(

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

How do you know really? Is it likely? Maybe but he was also a very strange dude with a lot of money who put himself in a position for people to make these claims about him to try to get a big payday.

I agree. Martin Bashir basically made his career with MJ innuendo, and I'm sure he's not the only one. I think if it had occurred to anyone at the time, Howard Hughes could probably have been publicly accused of just about anything and the accusations would have stuck [in the public's judgment] just because he was such an odd character. All it really takes to ruin or at least permanently stain a reputation in this era is an accusation. Hard facts tend to be kind of a secondary consideration.

• Members

just because he was such an odd character. All it really takes to ruin or at least permanently stain a reputation in this era is an accusation. Hard facts tend to be kind of a secondary consideration.

+1000 ... in many ways a sad life with no childhood. An immense talent though, that could never be denied. RIP..........

• Members

I'll miss Farrah more...sigh...of course I owned "the poster" in my youth...:love:

But I think that what MJ and Quincy Jones accomplished with the "Thriller"-era stuff is so iconic in pop culture (music, video, dance, fashion, etc.) that MJ would have remained world-renowned even without all the bizarro stuff in later years. And my gawd, what a dancer he was. I've always been amazed by (and envious of) people who can dance.

MJ's music was never my thing, but I thought "She's out of My Life" was kinda pretty. This AM one of my bandmates suggested we do an MJ cover as a tribute--that'll be my vote.

• Members

I dislike Michael because I saw him as the primary influence that replaced musical talent with theatrics. His music was good, but his dancing/choreography was brilliant. His success made promoters and music executive realize they had a golden formula - take mediocre songs and package them with dance/glitz.

This really hurt the world of music - we have yet to recover (getting better though with internet distribution!). Many mega-star groups wouldnt even get a shot in today's environment (think Steely Dan).

As far as child molesting goes - Who knows? The guy was brilliant and unique. Those who made the charges took a cash settlement and dropped the case. We will never know.

• Members

just because he was such an odd character. All it really takes to ruin or at least permanently stain a reputation in this era is an accusation. Hard facts tend to be kind of a secondary consideration.

Micheal Jackson hired him because he liked what he did for the Princess of Wales.

Phil

• Members

Why some people want to knock the recently deceased defeats me.

I dont know much, if anything, however when he was a child performer I detect a pure joy in his singing, thats what Ill try and remember.

Not like it matters to him anymore...

However, may his family find peace...

• Members

I could be wrong (it's happened before), but to my recollection, his two biggest albums (Off the Wall and Thriller) were released BEFORE his behavior became newsworthy and his face was ruined. Therefore, on the basis of this I'd say he earned his fame in spite of his eccentricities. I'm not a big fan, but I can respect the fact that he wrote some superb songs.

• Members

I dislike Michael because I saw him as the primary influence that replaced musical talent with theatrics. His music was good, but his dancing/choreography was brilliant. His success made promoters and music executive realize they had a golden formula - take mediocre songs and package them with dance/glitz.

Yes, but I think he was just one of several pop musicians who took advantage of music videos on cable TV, and the idea that recorded music performance could have visual or theatric/cinematic dimensions (not a new idea in itself, but one widely dispersed by the new medium of cable). I think MTV debuted in '81, just as MJ was becoming really big as a solo performer.

I really admire performers of the '80s who "pushed" the limits of what a video could be, and I especially admire performers who made artful videos in support of good/innovative music (R.E.M. also come to mind, and Peter Gabriel, among others). But yea, verily, many memorable videos were made in support of utterly forgettable music.

• Members

Yes, but I think he was just one of several pop musicians who took advantage of music videos on cable TV, and the idea that recorded music performance could have visual or theatric/cinematic dimensions (not a new idea in itself, but one widely dispersed by the new medium of cable). I think MTV debuted in '81, just as MJ was becoming really big as a solo performer.

I really admire performers of the '80s who "pushed" the limits of what a video could be, and I especially admire performers who made artful videos in support of good/innovative music (R.E.M. also come to mind, and Peter Gabriel, among others). But yea, verily, many memorable videos were made in support of utterly forgettable music.

video killed the radio star.....(wasn't that one of the first titles on MTV?)

• Members

I'm not a fan of what video has done to music...its more about bling than substance. But again I'm an old guy. I grew up listening to the radio. When I listened to Dylan, Steve Goodman, Leo Kottke, Allman Brothers etc. it wasn't about show, it was about talent. Admittedly great bands like the Beatles, Zeppelin, etc. were marketed, but relied on their sound, not their dancing and fashion.

Timing is everything. When MJ was ready so was Cable and the new way to Watch/Listen to music. He invented the trend for Pop. I'm not a big fan of it, but obviously many are.

• Members

Has anyone seen LaToya since Michael died?

Just askin'...
;)

There was a picture I saw of her yesterday, apparently caught of her at the hospital. She had a hat and sunglasses on and to me, she looked very old, but it could have been the picture. I thought it was their mom at first.

• Members

People who think that his legal problems added to his fame must not have been old enough to have lived through music in the 1980's. That guy was Elvis and the Beatles combined back then.

His notoriety in the later years took away from his fame if anything.

He had everything back then. An unheard of combination of the look, the dancing, the singing, the production, the crossover appeal, the worldwide acceptance, the songs.

If he hadn't imploded from being so mentally unstable, he could have made billions more touring the world at a time when the music industry is going belly up. That guy OWNED MTV and the Grammys.

• Members

People who think that his legal problems added to his fame must not have been old enough to have lived through music in the 1980's. That guy was Elvis and the Beatles combined back then.

He had everything back then. An unheard of combination of the look, the dancing, the singing, the production, the crossover appeal, the worldwide acceptance, the songs.

If he hadn't imploded from being so mentally unstable, he could have made billions more touring the world at a time when the music industry is going belly up. That guy OWNED MTV and the Grammys.

Definitely agree with this.

• Members

Definitely agree with this.

Younger people not round to witness the MJ phenomena have nothing to compare it to, they have no idea, The guy was everywhere and every thing for a while there And it was love hate you liked him or did not, But even if you did not like him, you could not help to notice his success.......I would find it hard to imagine some one today hitting the same way he did where it all came together....But it could happen, who knows?

Not the same picture but from the same time. Does she not look old?__________________- Rob

I was taken back at how old she looked, I at first thought there was no way it was her it must have been a mistake or something

• Members

Agreement City.

Archived