Wasted GC trip.

daklander

• Members

I made a drive over to the local GC to pick up a small mixer. I had my eye on a Yamaha 10 input unit. It was out of stock and there really wasn't anything else really comparable but I had thought about the Behringer Xenyx 1202 because I'd read the preamps were pretty decent but that was out of stock too so I decided to give the 1202FX a shot.

Got it home, took it out of the plastic bag and set it on the desk. Rock and Roll Baby! :eek:

The damned thing is crooked as a dogs hind leg. Somewhere along the line they lost QC on the mold for that bottom part. :poke:

So today I'll be wasting time going back to see if they have another in stock that will set flat on a desk.

While there I did go into the high end acoustic room a pluck some strings. I messed around with a half dozen various Martins and Gibson acoustics with none of them being anything I'd consider better than what I have. There were two that stood out. A D35 that was pretty good but nowhere near the tone of the one my good friend Dennis owns. The stand out of the group I played was a Gibson J45 that, though I wouldn't replace one of my guitars with it, it was a very fine sounding and playing guitar that would certainly give me another "different" acoustic tone to multi track recordings. But, not at $2K.

So, all in all, just another lost time trip to GC, something that seems to be the norm rather than the exception.

• Members

I picked up a Behringer 1202FX at GC last year and absolutely love it. No problems whatsoever, I highly recommend it. As far as the high end room, I have had similar experiences. Most of the Martins and Gibsons sound flat, don't know why - bad string maybe. Only found a couple that I would spend $2K+ for. Their MMV models are a much better deal for the money.

• Members

I ordered the Yamaha 10 from guitarcenter.com rather than driving the 4 or 5 miles.

It is very appealing. My Mackie 1202 developed a buzz and I didn't want to take the time to tear it apart. That one now sits in the project pile.

Is that Yamaha the MG102C? If so, how do you like it? The local store doesn't have one in and really didn't want to order one, and to bring one in from another store will cost shipping and take a week.

I tell ya, if Sweetwater had them in their system that's who I would buy from. GC just pisses me off every time I go in there.

• Members

Is that Yamaha the MG102C? If so, how do you like it? The local store doesn't have one in and really didn't want to order one, and to bring one in from another store will cost shipping and take a week.

I tell ya, if Sweetwater had them in their system that's who I would buy from. GC just pisses me off every time I go in there.

yes, Dak, it sure is the MG102C. Like I was suggesting, it is very appealing. It is extremely lightweight, but it is tied to one of those 3 pin locking line lumps (heavy-ish). That makes it about the exact opposite of the old Mackie that it was sitting in for, i.e., heavy build with an internal power supply. I am using it lightly for monitoring different sources and I have nothing bad to say about it. I thought that it was a good value at $100, but as you found there are pieces out there that sell for even less.

Pat

• Members

I went today also. They never have what I need, I know WAY more about gear then the staff, and prices are crazy high.

When I was a kid GC was the place, but thanks to the net there is alot more knowledge and better prices to be had.

• Members

My Behringer mixer rocks a little bit too. One of the rubber feet is a little too short, so I just stuck an earplug under that particular foot and the rocking stopped. Overall, I'm not a huge fan of Behringer mixers. They're noisy---lots of hiss---and just lackluster overall.

And on the topic of Guitar Center, I'm not a big fan either. The prices aren't great, unless you go when they're having a sale, but then the place is a zoo, full of people who think that in order to sound the best, the amp they're playing with must be dimed :facepalm:. And I hate the fact that the salespeople descend on you like vultures looking for a quick sale. I'll be trying out a guitar, or a pedal, or something and three sales reps will come asking if I need any help (read: if I want to buy something). I usually just get fed up and leave.

• Members

The closest GC to me is an hour drive. It`s rarely worth the trip unless I just have to have something. The best way to get rid of the sales associate is to ask them a question that is acoustic oriented. Or better yet, acoustic jazz oriented." uhh just a minute I`ll go find out" never see them again!:p

Yes I remember the days before the internet, I also remember buying a 1952 Gibson J45 for $500.00 locally!

• Members
I picked up a Behringer 1202FX at GC last year and absolutely love it. No problems whatsoever, I highly recommend it. As far as the high end room, I have had similar experiences. Most of the Martins and Gibsons sound flat, don't know why - bad string maybe. Only found a couple that I would spend $2K+ for. Their MMV models are a much better deal for the money.

+1 for the MMV models...very sweet sounding guitars!:thu:

• Members

There were two that stood out. A D35 that was pretty good but nowhere near the tone of the one my good friend Dennis owns. The stand out of the group I played was a Gibson J45 that, though I wouldn't replace one of my guitars with it, it was a very fine sounding and playing guitar that would certainly give me another "different" acoustic tone to multi track recordings.

In almost any acoustic room where Martins are carried, there is almost always a standout D-35. What a great model. I'm also experiencing some J-45/J-50/Southern Jumbo GAS, largely for the reason you've indicated: There really isn't anything else that sounds like a Gibson slope.

• Members

I took a little trip to GC this weekend, and had a bit better of a time. I continue to be impressed by the Yamaha F730S. I took a much closer look at it this time and the fit and finish was impressive. I also enjoyed playing several Seagulls.

However, I was really blown away by a Martin OMC Aura that I pulled off the wall. I probably spent 20 minutes with it. If not for the thinner neck (1 3/4")* and the $2800 price tag, I might be a happy Martin owner today. I wonder if I can custom order that with a thicker neck? Of course, that would probably jack up the price even more. :facepalm:

* Well, this is actually thicker than the standard 1 11/16", but I prefer 1 7/8". :)

• Members

I think there needs to be some GC ettiquette. For me, when I go there I pick a nice guitar and just get to some quality sampling when some azz hat will sit next to me with some cheap mitchell and start strumming poorly played power chords. It's pretty much a sure bet when I go. Of course, there's always some hack playing an electric at glass shattering levels who's sound bleeds well into the acoustic room.

Archived