Ramona

• Members

Hi and welcome on the forum!

Things to look at:

- Sound (do you like the sound of the guitar?

Ask someone else to play it if you don't know how to play yet and listen to the sound! (Bright, darker, bassy, etc.)

-Do you want to play with a plectrum or do you want to learn fingerstyle technique?

- Comfort (size and body shape of the guitar)

Jumbo --> BIG!

Mini-Jumbo --> bigger than a dreadnought

Dreadnought --> regular size

OM, 000, 00, Folk size --> smaller body (more comfortable for me...)

Parlor --> Even smaller than OM, 000, 00, Folk size

- Neck shape, nut width

(Do you have big hands and long fingers?)

- Buy something with at least a solid top. Back and sides can be laminated.

80% of the sound (correct me if I'm wrong people) comes from the top.

- Brands to look at in Europe (cheaper than in North America)

Crafter

Cort

- Brands to look at... anywhere in the world:

Seagull,

Simon & Patrick,

Art & Lutherie,

Norman,

Yamaha

Guild

Larrivee

Takamine

Those are the brands that I know. I don't know them all... You have to try different guitars (as many as possible) to make up your mind!

• Members

Hi Ramona. Welcome to our little zoo. :wave:

Misha has covered things nicely - her recommendations are very good.

I will just add that Crafter is widely available in Europe and is an excellent value. They are of outstanding quality and have lovely tone.

• Members

Something cheap is more likely to put her off.

Ramona, a great guitar which is well within your budget, sounds great and looks gorgeous is a Yamaha LL6-and it comes with a good quality case. If you feel it might be on the large side it has a smaller brother, the LS6.

I agree with both of Andrew's points.

A very-low end guitar is usually badly set-up, making the learning process even more difficult. Additionally, buying secondhand can be very risky unless you can have the guitar inspected by a trusted, knowledgeable person.

Secondly, the Yamaha LL6 is an outstanding value for the money, as are all Yamaha guitars.

• Members

Something cheap is more likely to put her off.

Ramona, a great guitar which is well within your budget, sounds great and looks gorgeous is a Yamaha LL6-and it comes with a good quality case. If you feel it might be on the large side it has a smaller brother, the LS6.

+1

I just bought a Yamaha LL6 and I'm totally in love with it. It's a great guitar for the reasons pointed out by Andrew (who also owned one until recently), and when you are no longer a beginner you will still be able to appreciate it as a great guitar.

When you go to look in a shop, if at all possible take a friend who knows at least a little bit about guitars.

And print out Misha's post and take it with you.

Good luck! Hope you will continue to visit this forum as you learn to play!

• Members

Thanks for your help, it's all been really useful and given me a lot more confidence.

I'll definitely look into the LL6.

More difficult I know, given the fact that you're scattered across the globe, but can anyone recommend a good stockist in London. I've done a google search but they all seem to be mail order only.

Thanks again

• Members

Thanks for your help, it's all been really useful and given me a lot more confidence.

More difficult I know, given the fact that you're scattered across the globe, but can anyone recommend a good stockist in London. I've done a google search but they all seem to be mail order only.

Thanks again

We have several members in the UK who are skilled, knowledgeable players. Among them, Garthman and Greymuzzle come to mind, but there are others, too, whose names escape me just now. Just keep watching this thread and I'm quite sure you'll get some excellent recommendations.

• Members

Thanks again

Stockists aren't exactly common but I have had great dealings with Dolphin Music in Gateshead. I bought both my Yamaha guitars from them (LL6 and LL26) via mail order and had prompt, polite and efficient service from them. The guitars arrived well-packed and immaculate.

• Members

where in the uk are you from? will see if i know any shops that are local to you....500 quid should get you a pretty nice guitar...You could get a nice one cheaper than that if you wanted...

crafter,a few tanglewoods, walden, oh and i have a simon and patrich sp6 for sale, u could get a nice guitar for cheaper and load up on books etc to help you learn, i might even have a book or two i could pass your way

Im from devon near exeter

Archived