NGD One I never thought I would own

DunedinDoug

• Members

I own an eleven year-old Taylor 714ce which suits me fine, but recently I've grown rather protective of it, and thought I would get away from the cedar/rosewood combination for the types of songs that require vigorous strumming.

Celebrating my daughter's birthday, we went over to Best Buy to pick up an iPod for her. In the back of the store was their new musical instrument section so I strolled back to check it out. There was a reasonable selection of electric guitars and I tried out the new electric Taylor. I stepped into the acoustic room and played a few instruments (actually, I hit a chord or two, said "blech!" and hung 'em back up). There was a Gibson J45 that I pulled down to play. It was alright. The salesman said he had another one "still in the box" if I wanted to try it out. Hey, why not? So I tried the second Gibson J45. Oh No! It sounded wonderful!

I never cared for the slope shouldered dreadnought. Never wanted one. Never really wanted a sunburst. But this guitar sounded very fine when played finger-style and really sang when attacked. I liked it! And then my wife said, "That's a very beautiful guitar! Why don't you buy it?"

So I bought it. AND, it was on sale. I paid $1699 for it and just today realized that I wasn't charged tax on the purchase!

Okay, it has its drawbacks. No strap button at the heel. I can fix that right away. Unlike the Taylor's Fishman system, the L. R. Baggs electronics have no tonal control or notch filter. I'll have to address that down the road with the purchase of a DI box with those features. The little volume knob under the soundhole will need getting used to. I'll replace the cheap plastic-looking bridge pins, but I'm okay with the Tusq compensated saddle.

Happy NGD to me!

• Members

Lucky guy.....post the pics......you can never see enough J45's.

J45's can be more than special guitars. I'm still searching for mine. When I find it, I really won't care what it costs. It will be at least as old as I am...so lets just say early 50's or before.

• Members

Hey, noticed you are in Dunedin! Hello neighbor....up for a Redhead Red sometime?

Dunedin is really a nice town, I hang there a couple of times a month. Have you been to JC Cravers down the road? My buddy Damon Fowler will be playing there again October 9th......got to see this guy if you don't already know him......no excuse either, he'll be about 3 miles from you......check it out.

• Members

My son was Born in Dunnedin. Meese hospital comes to mind, but it has been some time. I used to live in New Port Richey. Saw Led Zepplin at Tampa Stadium in 72. Daughter still lives in NPR.

I'll get down there one of these days, and we will all have to get together.

• Members

My son was Born in Dunnedin. Meese hospital comes to mind, but it has been some time. I used to live in New Port Richey. Saw Led Zepplin at Tampa Stadium in 72. Daughter still lives in NPR.

I'll get down there one of these days, and we will all have to get together.

You do know the CSN is coming to St. Pete...22nd this month.:love:

• Members

You do know the CSN is coming to St. Pete...22nd this month.
:love:

Yes, I do know! I've seen 'em a few times and I'm a big fan, but their live shows just don't excite me anymore.

Poco was in Ybor a week or so ago. I really love those guys. I missed the show but heard the sound system was awful. When I last saw them a couple years ago in Largo they were very fine.

• Members

Yes, I do know! I've seen 'em a few times and I'm a big fan, but their live shows just don't excite me anymore.

Poco was in Ybor a week or so ago. I really love those guys. I missed the show but heard the sound system was awful. When I last saw them a couple years ago in Largo they were very fine.

I'm a huge Poco fan, but somehow missed them...holy crap. I need to keep an eye out for them.....heck, I didn't even know they still toured....are they still the original band?

Speaking of Ybor, I go to Ybor all the time, but not to hear bands. Most of the 7th street nightclubs suck, even St. Pete Times Forum stinks. The Ford Theatre is ok, and the Fine Arts and Ruth Ekhardt, but most places have horrible sound. Skippers is good, but they don't have the big groups, doesn't hold enough people.....Oh yeah, the Orpheum gets ok talent from time to time, but again, a really small (indoor) place.

• Members

I'm a huge Poco fan, but somehow missed them...holy crap. I need to keep an eye out for them.....heck, I didn't even know they still toured....are they still the original band?

They currently consists of Rusty Young, Paul Cotton (who've been with the band since the early seventies), Jack Sundred and George Lawrence. Earlier this year, however, they had a reunion of sorts with Richie Furay, Jim Messina, Timothy B. Schmit and George Grantham. The latter, the original drummer, suffered a stroke while on stage back in 2003 (I think). He's come a long way.

Their last studio album, Running Horse, came out in 2002 and it's very well done. They've put out a couple live recordings since then.

I haven't been to Ybor for quite awhile. I used to drive over to pick up some stoagies from one of the cigar shops there, but I'm too old and Ybor is too rowdy to go there at night.

The Largo venue is very good for bands that you want to LISTEN to, and in the case of Poco, a place where you can meet the band members, etc.

• Members

Here are a couple images. A '98 Taylor 714ce, the new Gibson J45 and my early seventies Gibson J50-D. I posted a little video of the French Polish finish I put on the latter.

Three different guitars, three distinct voices.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/41134721@N04/3790326080/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/41134721@N04/3790323920/