TommyT5

• Members

In all seriousness, though... although I am not a fan of bridge pins (I find them unpractical and ugly), all the steel string flat tops I've ever owned had bridge pins. Proof that pinless vs. pinned bridge is only a minor concern when I select a guitar.

• Members

I could go either way.

I've never had a pinless bridge guitar so I know nothing else other than dealing with pins. Not a big deal.

I like the look, and the ease of restringing, of a pinless bridge, but not where the ball ends are sitting so proud.

If you're going to craft a pinless bridge, at least recess the holes.

• Members

Years back I traded a portable keyboard to a guy at work for one of those inexpensive Ovation Celebrity guitars as a beater and it had the pinless bridge. I actually like the look and of course convenience of pinless bridges. I wonder why more companies don't adopt this design. I mean during the manufacturing process wouldn't it save time and materials? :idk:

• Members

Pinless bridges "drive the top" differently than a pinned bridge will...used to have a Harmony Sovereign H655 (Harmony's version of a Gibson J-160E, basically)

H655_Sovereign_02.jpgH655_Sovereign_14.jpg

and, at one point, I had the pinless bridge replaced w/ a pin-bridge (all that was in stock)...did change the unplugged sound somewhat, in that it had more sustain and a bit more bottom.

• Members

Under why more companies don't adopt this design. I mean during the manufacturing process wouldn't it save time and materials?
:idk:

IIRC earlier discussions on this topic with Gary Palmer, it's actually the opposite: pinned-bridges are easier (and cheaper) to manufacture.

• Members

I'm BI-PINUAL:lol: I don't care either way. I have both.

Yeah...I honestly don't give a hoot. I was going to vote, but then I realized that I didn't know which one to pick :idk:. My Ovation has a pinless bridge, but both of my Seagulls have bridge pins. I have guitars with both types, and I don't prefer one over the other just because of the bridge style.

• Members

I noticed that Crafter switched from pinless bridges to bridge pins, AND that people's opinions about them have become much more positive.

I sometimes wonder of there's a connection.

My pinless one doesn't seem to respond enough to the strings, I feel.