Dylan Busted!

Stackabones

• Members

the police did everything they should have in the situation.

I'm sorry that I cannot agree. Unfortunately they failed to even administer a debilitating beating, which basically means that this maniac is free to terrorize another neighborhood with one of his "walks." And what if it's my neighborhood next? I ask you, who will protect my family from Bob Dylan? Sure, I can frantically call 911 if I see an older man with a beard, as anyone would, but will SWAT arrive before it is too late?

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Nobody is sure what went down or why the cops stopped him. When the average police officer sees a white guy in a predominantly poor black neighborhood, they think he's either in danger or up to no good. Bob is getting old & looks it. Maybe they thought he was lost. They could have also thought he was there buying drugs or up to other nefarious activities.

Haven't you guys ever watched COPS before?

There are tens of millions of your fellow citizens without health insurance. Perhaps you should direct your anger towards that instead of getting pissed off that a millionaire musician was taken back to his gig.

Abando

• Members

When the average police officer sees a white guy in a predominantly poor black neighborhood, they think he's either in danger or up to no good.

I dunno. I'm a white middle-aged guy. My fiance is an African-American woman of the same age. We live in the house that she inherited from her parents when they passed since we can't see the point in paying rent or a mortgage somewhere else when we've a paid-for house at our disposal. We're thinking about eventually tearing this place down and building another house on the lot, but that is some years off. Right now we're saving with that as our goal.

Better to throw down $100k than $10k down and finance the rest, eh?

Her parents raised 5 kids in this little house back in the 1960s-1970s. In the deep south. The Segregated South.

This is a very small house and the neighbourhood is predominantly black. There is a smattering of Hispanic families in the neighbourhood. I can guarantee that I'm the only white guy within ten blocks.

I went through all that to get to this:

I've never been pulled over in this area. A friend (police officer) of my g/f says "You've been noticed, for sure, but you can't go randomly pulling people over for no reason, even if it doesn't look right. If you were to stop at a known dope house or somewhere else where something is going on, then you would for sure be pulled over. By now, though, every cop routinely in the area knows your truck and has seen it in your driveway. The only way you'll get pulled over now is if a new cop is on the beat or if you are breaking the law (speeding, etc.)."

Pretty reasonable, imo.

• Members

I'm sorry that I cannot agree. Unfortunately they failed to even administer a debilitating beating, which basically means that this maniac is free to terrorize another neighborhood with one of his "walks." And what if it's my neighborhood next? I ask you, who will protect my family from Bob Dylan? Sure, I can frantically call 911 if I see an older man with a beard, as anyone would, but will SWAT arrive before it is too late?

Without wanting to seem aggressive, what would you want the police to do in this situation?

• Members

Without wanting to seem aggressive, what would you want the police to do in this situation?

It would be nice if the police let the peace lovin hippie be free to go about his business, whatever that may be.

Saying... "Hey Mr tamborine man, play a song for me"

• Members

^ Fixed. My only other comment is, "I feel old." I wonder if they would've recognized Willie Nelson or John Mellencamp? They need to listen to
real
music.

No, I had it right the first time.

It's usually never a race issue until someone turns it into one.

• Members

Impossible situation for the police. Once called, they need to respond. I do not want a gestapo state either, and I would like to think that a late night walk in the rain is a matter of personal choice, not legality.

The residents of the neighborhood felt an intruder was among them. Ignore that and you can wind up with unfettered freedom for molesters, rapists and burglars. We are all conditioned NOT to get involved and to call the "authorities". This situation is the logical extension of uninvolved citizens.

A better situation, in my opinion, would have been for the homeowner to ask Bob what he was doing on the lawn. That coulda been a helluva story. Maybe even shared a beer w/Bob.

If we all cede our independence to the "authorities" then this is what you get.

• Members

Impossible situation for the police. Once called, they need to respond. I do not want a gestapo state either, and I would like to think that a late night walk in the rain is a matter of personal choice, not legality.

The residents of the neighborhood felt an intruder was among them. Ignore that and you can wind up with unfettered freedom for molesters, rapists and burglars. We are all conditioned NOT to get involved and to call the "authorities". This situation is the logical extension of uninvolved citizens.

A better situation, in my opinion, would have been for the homeowner to ask Bob what he was doing on the lawn. That coulda been a helluva story. Maybe even shared a beer
w/Bob.

If we all cede our independence to the "authorities" then this is what you get.

That's the right thing to do! Geez, Bob Dylan!!! I would let him play my guitars!! All of them... and pay the beer or whatever he wants to drink!:rawk:

• Members

...but not before obtaining identification of said pedestrian.

I don't see why the police should need identification before killing a citizen. Even if you prove that you are Bob Dylan, (A) you were still guilty of walking and (3) this does not prove that you were not about to kill everyone in the neighborhood and steal their chachkes.

Safer to just shoot people, I says.

• Members

I don't see why the police should need identification before killing a citizen. Even if you prove that you are Bob Dylan, (A) you were still guilty of walking and (3) this does not prove that you were not about to kill everyone in the neighborhood and steal their chachkes.

Safer to just shoot people, I says.

You have to ascertain the presence of I.D. first. That way, you will be able to return the body to his family. If no I.D. on person, you force the "perpestrian" to take you to his family and then shoot him.

• Members

Apparently not!

(1) Here you are in a strange neighborhood, people see you and don't recognize you, they call the police. It's called, "Neighborhood Watch"

(2) You are by law, supposed to have ID on you at all times.

These officers were only doing their job! Go ahead and get smart with them, they have the right to detain you for 72 hrs. That's the law.

Right or wrong that's the Law..........as they told me my whole life, If you don't like it, then work on changing the law (legally).

PS: I have been a rebellious person my whole life and I understand your frustration, but none the less I can protest either in jail or out of jail. You figure it out! But squawking about it here is not going to solve any problems at all, only enrage the masses.
:facepalm:

1.) Its 24 hours. Standard Habeaus Corpus

2.) You don't need to carry ID with you everywhere you go. Thats bull{censored}.

• Members

You have to ascertain the presence of I.D. first. That way, you will be able to return the body to his family. If no I.D. on person, you force the "perpestrian" to take you to his family and then shoot him.

So you're saying you would allow the family to live? :facepalm:

• Members

Men walkin' 'long the railroad tracks

Goin' someplace there's no goin' back

Highway patrol choppers comin' up over the ridge

Hot soup on a campfire under the bridge

Shelter line stretchin' round the corner

Welcome to the new world order

Families sleepin' in their cars in the southwest

No home no job no peace no rest

The highway is alive tonight

But nobody's kiddin' nobody about where it goes