TommyT5

• Members
Where's the "I have no idea" option?
:confused:

I have never paid attention to the wood of my guitars. I play it, I like it, I buy it, I continue to play it. I need to get more technical.
:facepalm:

...Ditto...Anyone know?...A 70's Guild Maderia...wouldn't be surprised if it was particle board...I love it though...

• Members

My pref is rosewood and I hope to add another. Right now I have a solid wood OM-03R with solid east-Indian rosewood back & sides and a laminated Takamine F360 (D-28 clone) with laminated rosewood back & sides (it might actually be Brazilian but I doubt it and it's moot since it's got a cork center layer.)

FWIW the one I hope to add is a HD-35 (or used D-35) with solid east Indian rosewood back & sides.

• Members

I had to do a count, and was sort of surprised at the margin by which rosewood trumps my other woods: I'd never given it much thought. I've got: seven acoustics with rosewood (D-41, D-16RGTE, Aria AD-80, Taylor 414CE Ltd, Johnson JO-27, Tacoma DR-20,and Larrivee parlor; three with mahogany (Gallagher DW, Larrivee OM-03, Morgan Monroe MV-01), one with maple (Gibson Dove), and one with ovangkol (Taylor GC4).

The Gibson Dove and D-41 share the most playing time for flatpicking/strumming.

When it comes to fingerpicking, the Gallagher and the Gibson get the least, and I'm all over the map with the others depending on the sound I'm looking for. The D-41 and OM-3 get a lot of fingerpicking play, though.

For what it's worth, my 15-YO son, who now kills me on electric but still has a ways to go on acoustic, prefers the Larrivee OM-03 to everything else, with the Taylor 414 a fairly close second, followed by the Aria. Guess he's going to be a cheap date. ;)

• Members

My pref is rosewood and I hope to add another. Right now I have a solid wood OM-03R with solid east-Indian rosewood back & sides and a laminated Takamine F360 (D-28 clone) with laminated rosewood back & sides (it might actually be Brazilian but I doubt it and it's moot since it's got a cork center layer.)

FWIW the one I hope to add is a HD-35 (or used D-35) with solid east Indian rosewood back & sides.

:thu:

I've contemplated selling a couple guitars to get a D-35. It doesn't much matter to me whether it's an HD-35 or a regular D-35: I just think those are outstanding guitars with a subtle but unique variation of the signature Martin dread tone.

• Members
:thu:

I've contemplated selling a couple guitars to get a D-35. It doesn't much matter to me whether it's an HD-35 or a regular D-35: I just think those are outstanding guitars with a subtle but unique variation of the signature Martin dread tone.

There've been some deals floating by. I'm still shy of a used D-35's cost though so I haven't bitten. C70man has been waving some mean carrots in my face, too! He's the Craig's list king! :lol:

• Members

There've been some deals floating by. I'm still shy of a used D-35's cost though so I haven't bitten. C70man has been waving some mean carrots in my face, too! He's the Craig's list king!
:lol:

Well, I'm gonna keep an eye out for you as well. I've live in a big metro area (Washington, DC, which sort of includes Baltimore), and there are definitely some deals out there. I'm gonna make it a point to check out Atomic Music on a regular basis: I know the guys there, and that's one place to get a GREAT used guitar for cheap when the opportunity comes along. PM me if you have a price point & condition you're aiming for.