TommyT5

• Members

I've been playing for about 30 years now but have the all-laminate guitar I started on as well as the all-laminate guitar that I received as a gift so I could have something to play in college. It actually wasn't until 3 years ago that I got my first all-solid wood guitar. I'd done my homework before taking the plunge though, so that guitar is in good shape and I plan to keep it for at least 20 years or however long I last.

That being said, it has a polyester satin finish and my beaters are approaching the end of their lifespans and I'm hoping to move up to an all-solid wood guitar with a gloss nitro finish.

• Members

I've got one of each. An all laminated Fender F-65 that I've had for almost 30 years that doesn't act like it's ever going to die, and a new, recently purchased Alvarez MD80 that's all solid woods. To tell you the truth, I doubt that the Alvarez will last as long as the all laminated Fender has. The Fender still looks like new. I'll also say this.....I don't notice a whole helluva lot of difference, if any, in sound and playablity. I'm not sorry I bought the Alvarez though.....got a great deal on it. I love both of my guitars and play 'em to death. I go to a bluegrass jam every Saturday and I go back and forth between the Fender and the Alvarez. Either one does the job for me.

• Members

All laminate Yamaha F310 here for now...I had to sell my Taylor due to financial reasons...:cry:

When I am financially stable again I plan on buying another Yamaha all laminate electric/acoustic FX370 (in Tobacco sunburst). I tried one out and I really liked it and feel it would be perfect for live shows or open mics. :thu:

I'll keep the F310 for busking or taking to the park or whatever.

• Members

One guitar with a solid top and laminated back and sides. Everything else is laminated; my 12-string, my beater, my first POS guitar, our daughter's Epi, all lam. Don't feel bad though; while he was a shepherd, David wrote his psalms on a harp that was lambinated.

• Members

Don't have a laminate - although there seems to be conflicting info on a Tacoma I have. I have seen it described in some places as having a laminate back w/solid sides and top.

I prefer all solids for a few reasons. One is that they are simply traditional, and that is meaningful to me. Another is that when you get laminates you try to convince yourself its "just as good". That "settling for something less" mojo will bother you as long as you have the instrument.

I have heard, and owned, many great sounding laminates, as good as solid guitars. But the facts do not sway the illogical emotional response of "settling for something less". So I have pretty much limited my guitars to all solids.

Oh - the Little Martin has laminate B/S and I have a wall-hanger archtop that is all laminate (don't play it though).

• Members

2 solid top, laminate back/sides

1 all solid

Son's are solid/lam

We like all our guitars, but my overall favorite is the solid/lam Yamaha FG730S. The others are better in some ways for sure, but it's my "go-to, leave-it-out-all-the-time-to-grab-it" guitar. To me, it sounds a lot like my friend's Martin D-28. And, it don't have to worry as much about it "shifting" as much (very important where I live).

• Members

2 solid top, laminate back/sides

1 all solid

Son's are solid/lam

We like all our guitars, but my overall favorite is the solid/lam Yamaha FG730S. The others are better in some ways for sure, but it's my "go-to, leave-it-out-all-the-time-to-grab-it" guitar. To me, it sounds a lot like my friend's Martin D-28. And, it don't have to worry as much about it "shifting" as much (very important where I live).

Funny, I'm pretty much the same with my Seagull. It's on the stand all of the time and gets the most use when I'm home.