Jump to content

Norman Acoustic Guitars appreciation thread!


dougbeens
 Share

Recommended Posts

  • Members

I have a Norman B20 (6). I bought if for 330 (CAN) two years ago. Absolutely nothing in that price range can beat it. Taks, Yamahas, Washburns, nothin!! And, it's got a solid spruce top and the quality, in general, is great. At the time, $600 Washburns paled in comparison.

 

Nowadays, I'm looking to get the top-of-the-line model, the ST68, I think it's called. Solid spruce top, solid rosewood back and laminated rosewood sides. I think it costs less than 1000 CAN (about 740 US). The user reviews look very positive.

 

I may spring for the extra 600 bucks to get the all solid Larrivee D03(Rosewood) for 1600(CAN). But, 600 bucks is 600 bucks !!! Another fine Canadian guitar. I compared it the Martin D16 (about the same price). If I had to choose, I would take the Larrivee. Martins are nice but a bit too mellow sounding for my taste.

 

If I had the monry, I would choose the Martin D28 over everything BUT they go for about $2800(CAN). All of sudden 1000 or 1600 dollars for high quality guitars looks really good!!

 

I may keep the B20 though - it will only get better with age!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

I played one, (not sure) at Steve's music in Toronto a few days ago and was pleasantly surprised by the plability and the tone. I knew instinctivly that it was a a Lasido guitar.

 

Is it possible that they are making this line as an intermediary between the Art & Luthier and the Seagull lines?

Grotto.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

What's the deal with Lasido anyway? I knew Godin and Seagull

were affiliated, now I see they also make Norman, Art & Lutherie,

Simon & Patrick, and La Patrie. I'm really just curious about the

differences between all these brands.....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

I've had a Norman for about 10 years now...One of the best sounding acoustics I've played. Never had a problem with it, quality-wise. Dollar-for-dollar, one of the best guitars out there. The only acoustic that had a nicer sound was my friend's Lys...(anyone ever hear of it?) ...also made in Canada...hmm...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

Originally posted by seiche

What's the deal with Lasido anyway? I knew Godin and Seagull

were affiliated, now I see they also make Norman, Art & Lutherie,

Simon & Patrick, and La Patrie. I'm really just curious about the

differences between all these brands.....

 

Godin are obviously their electric guitar models.

 

Seagull are their flagship acoustics. Their body shapes are unique, as are many other things about them.

 

Art & Lutherie are specifically guitars made for entry level players.

 

La Patrie are their classical guitars.

 

As far as Norman and Simon & Patrick go, I'm not sure of the differences between these two, but these two do make more traditional acoustic guitar body shapes and styles. I know I bought a Norman instead of a Seagull mainly because it had a standard dread body size and standard fretboard width; it felt and sounded more like a Martin.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 5 weeks later...
  • Members

I have an ST-68 CW which I totally love. Solid Rosewood top and back...I'd put this guitar up against almost any modern day Martin. Words can't describe how much I love this guitar... I've tried the B20's and they're great as well. IMO Norman is the best kept seceret in Acoustics, bar none.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...
  • Members

I purchased a B20 about 10 years ago. I play both electric and acoustic, and I tell you this because, everytime I go into a guitar shop I spend practically no time in the acoustic room. 99% of the stuff in there sounds no better than my NORMAN. And, the stuff that does is in the 2K area and is not that much better.

 

Trust me, I have owned a ton of cheap guitars and have never thought a Epiphone was as good as a Gibson, or a Squire as good as a Fender. I have always been willing to pay top dollar to go the extra mile. My Norman is as good as acoustic guitar as I have played. Very durable too (survived college with me and my liver).

 

In other words my acoustic needs are more than meet. I have played with other guitar players playing Martins, and Gibsons and the Norman is just as good. I am tickled with the guitar.

 

Does anyone famous play Normans?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 months later...
  • Members

that's really wierd that this thread was bumped:

 

I hadn't heard much about Normans and just went to check out Breedlove's Atlas series. After being dissapointed by the ac200 concert, I picked up this all spruce, high gloss Norman.

 

I brought the baby home. Great guitar! Made by Godin, same great feel as the Seagull s6, but the spruce gives it the tone I love!

 

strange coincedence that this thread was at top.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

Originally posted by confuseitall

that's really wierd that this thread was bumped:


I hadn't heard much about Normans and just went to check out Breedlove's Atlas series. After being dissapointed by the ac200 concert, I picked up this all spruce, high gloss Norman.


I brought the baby home. Great guitar! Made by Godin, same great feel as the Seagull s6, but the spruce gives it the tone I love!


strange coincedence that this thread was at top.

 

lol...they're great guitars for sure!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

Has anyone compared a Norman B20 Folk to a Seagull S6 + Folk? They are very similar, and of course, corporately affiliated. I'm wondering what the differences are. The one thing I don't like about the conglomerate is that none of their websites give particularly comprehensive info, and price quotes are hard to find.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

Originally posted by bullpencoach

Has anyone compared a Norman B20 Folk to a Seagull S6 + Folk? They are very similar, and of course, corporately affiliated. I'm wondering what the differences are. The one thing I don't like about the conglomerate is that none of their websites give particularly comprehensive info, and price quotes are hard to find.

 

From what info I can find, the primary differences are:

 

-Solid spurce top on the Norman vs. solid cedar top on the 'Gull

 

-The Norman might have a mahogany neck, the S6+Folk 'Gull has a silver leaf maple neck

 

--------------------------------------------------

 

So, the Norman will age better and be a bit more durable, since cedar scars easily.

 

But, the back and sides of both models are wild cherry, which LaSiDo says "is mellower than maple, but brighter than mahogany."

 

So, the tone of a small-bodied guitar like this may be a bit brighter with spruce, while cedar will round things out just a tad bit more.

 

I have the S6+Folk. It's a great little instrument.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

Lot of chatter going on about Norman guitars I see. People comparing them to Martins and such. Rule of thumb...if you like the sound and feel of the guitar, then that's the guitar for you. I have a Martin, Guild and Norman. The Martin is a DM of recent production. The Guild is an F-412 I have been playing for 30 years. Yea, I am an old coot. I am a fingerpicking fool (all 5 fingers). Flat picks I just never could get the hang of. Ended up in the sound hole many times. The Norman (B20/12) is a great playing and sounding guitar. I won't agree that it stands shoulder-to-shoulder with the Martin or the Guild in playability or sound. I do agree that it comes close and, for the money, I would send anyone off to try a Norman product before they consider the higher priced makes. The Norman 12 I bought has laminated cherry sides and back, solid spruce top, maple neck and rosewood bridge and fingerboard. Maple sides/back are the hardest woods used on guitars and produce the brightest resonance through the spruce top. That is how the Guild is made and, quite honestly, it drowns out the Norman. No matter, the Norman has it's own sound and that sound is good. Guild makes the best 12 string guitars, Martin makes the best 6 string guitars, and the rest are just that. Specifically speaking, the neck of the Norman is just a bit larger than the Guild F-412. I find the Norman a little weak in it's treble. It takes a little more effort to "throw" a bar chord and strike to sound off those higher notes. One has to compensate by holding back the base sound a bit. But, hey, no two guitars of different manufacture play them same anyway. I still agree that the Norman is a great guitar for the money and that's why I bought one. But, I have read alot on this forum about Norman ranking in the same league with Martin or other pricey guitars. Well, it may be a good guitar but it ain't there yet.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

We have a dealer in my area with 6 or 7 Norman on the wall outside of the climate controled "good" guitar room. Do you ever pre-judge a guitar because it is not in the "good" guitar room? I played them all, and agree that they are an exceptional value. Like the satin finished Seagulls, I think they are prettier than most other satin guitars, too. I did not know where they came from until this thread came along. Thanks.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

Originally posted by Joe Chiovari

Lot of chatter going on about Norman guitars I see. People comparing them to Martins and such. Rule of thumb...if you like the sound and feel of the guitar, then that's the guitar for you. I have a Martin, Guild and Norman. The Martin is a DM of recent production. The Guild is an F-412 I have been playing for 30 years. Yea, I am an old coot. I am a fingerpicking fool (all 5 fingers). Flat picks I just never could get the hang of. Ended up in the sound hole many times. The Norman (B20/12) is a great playing and sounding guitar. I won't agree that it stands shoulder-to-shoulder with the Martin or the Guild in playability or sound. I do agree that it comes close and, for the money, I would send anyone off to try a Norman product before they consider the higher priced makes. The Norman 12 I bought has laminated cherry sides and back, solid spruce top, maple neck and rosewood bridge and fingerboard. Maple sides/back are the hardest woods used on guitars and produce the brightest resonance through the spruce top. That is how the Guild is made and, quite honestly, it drowns out the Norman. No matter, the Norman has it's own sound and that sound is good. Guild makes the best 12 string guitars, Martin makes the best 6 string guitars, and the rest are just that. Specifically speaking, the neck of the Norman is just a bit larger than the Guild F-412. I find the Norman a little weak in it's treble. It takes a little more effort to "throw" a bar chord and strike to sound off those higher notes. One has to compensate by holding back the base sound a bit. But, hey, no two guitars of different manufacture play them same anyway. I still agree that the Norman is a great guitar for the money and that's why I bought one. But, I have read alot on this forum about Norman ranking in the same league with Martin or other pricey guitars. Well, it may be a good guitar but it ain't there yet.

 

I hear what you're saying. I'll put my ST68 up against a low end Martin anyday!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...