Are artists who have no concepts how music can be sold...

• Members

Yeah... Listen: If you want to make money making music you have to be very, very good at more than just making good music. You have to be good at making money. This upsets a lot of people that are really gifted at making music that don't understand that just being good at something doesn't translate into dollars. There is way more to it than that. It's two different skill sets, being good at music and being good at making money.

Nobody gives a {censored} about how good something is. You want people to pay for {censored}? YOU HAVE TO {censored}ING SELL IT. And it's not fair and that's just the way it is. People that are better at selling stuff well do better than people that are good at making stuff well. Deal with it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I think there's a different way of looking at this. Maybe musicians and bands should be asking themselves the question:

"Would you guys be able to seek out a successful businessman or two in your town and convince them to fund your band on the merit of your image and music, kind of like a sugar daddy?"

I think if you can put it that way to young bands, you'd see members jump ship and say, "Nah, that's ok. I'm cool. Sounds like a lot of work."

• Moderators

And yet, that is how many bands survived and succeeded in the LA scene in the late 70/80s...GnR, and several others, although usually sugar mamas...the real trick is how do you propose this to a real business person outside of the industry, how do you demonstrate ROI, quarterly profits, growth, etc., when you are dealing with something as subjective as music?

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Even artists who do have a concept of how music can be sold are struggling, take Billy Corgan. Well he's not struggling financially, but the Teargarden project just didn't work, even for someone with his fame and fanbase. The new album Oceania is part of the project though and it's great.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by rlm297

View Post

I think there's a different way of looking at this. Maybe musicians and bands should be asking themselves the question:

"Would you guys be able to seek out a successful businessman or two in your town and convince them to fund your band on the merit of your image and music, kind of like a sugar daddy?"

I think if you can put it that way to young bands, you'd see members jump ship and say, "Nah, that's ok. I'm cool. Sounds like a lot of work."

I can relate to that, I was in a band once and someone offered to give us the money to record an album. We sat down, had meetings and everything was going great. When it came to booking the time to record, the rest of the band pulled out. "We're not ready to record an album" they said. I never let them forget what an opportunity they had passed up.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by BlueStrat

View Post

When most of the world wants to come here, why leave? This is a big place- I could travel it my whole life and not see half of it.

Actually for business, much of the world wants to set up business where Nopoli is. If you are a recording artist with a name, I'm sure by now you know that is one of the best places to market yourself. And I'm sure Nopoli will help you out. Things are changing there, money wise and contract wise. Nopoli (not his real name) is an alright guy. You just have to be like him a bit when you are in his line of profession which is to make him and then you money.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by guido61

View Post

The biz today is such that artists have to be businessmen as well, and the two are pretty much mutually-exclusive. That's why record labels existed in first place and why most of those that were started by musicians ended up being total busts. It's also why so many artists got taken advantage of.

I suspect that even in the new age of DYI internet bands, the most successful artists are STILL going to be the ones who do the business-aspect of it well. There might very well still be a need for "labels" of some sort to do the business work for the artists.

That is 1000% spot on. People who understand the business side (or have a team around them that does) go futher.

Archived