Suggestions wanted for gifting guitar

TikiTime

• Members

I gave a git to a friend who was in need. After which he would even ask me if it was OK for him to change strings. Clearly he did not feel it was "his" guitar. I made him up a fancy bill of sale/title to the guitar and gave it to him for his birthday. That seemed to do it. Maybe something along those lines.

• Members

Although not a guitar, my late wife & I did something similiar for our granddaughter. She had been wanting a horse (and after getting approval from her parents) gave her on for her birthday several years ago. We tied a ribbon around the horses neck, took a picture and downloaded it into the computer. I then took the picture, added the appropriate caption and printed it out. We put the picture inside here birthday card. She was so stunned she couldn't say anything!

• Members

I think a ring box with a pick in it, is a great idea. Another idea would be a nice capo in a box and see if the person could figure it out...... Or an electronic tuner if there isn't one in the guitar.

You didn't say if this is a family member, friend, or someone you're in a relationship with. So, without some more info, like gender, the ideas have to be a bit generic.

Good Luck

• Members

If I were you, I'd ignore all of the male input on this thread and wait for some female input.

If she likes jewelry, then a ring box might be a bad idea. Set her expectations for a ring, and she'll go all "WTF is this?! A guitar pick?! Where's my GD ring!?" on you.

• Members

Thanks gitnoob....luckily the "ring" situation has been taken care of a few years ago - so don't have to worry about those expectations!!! I did think about that though!

If I were you, I'd ignore all of the male input on this thread and wait for some female input.

If she likes jewelry, then a ring box might be a bad idea. Set her expectations for a ring, and she'll go all "WTF is this?! A guitar pick?! Where's my GD ring!?" on you.

• Members

Maybe hide it somewhere creative where the lucky recipient might stumble on it? My folks gave me an electric guitar the day I turned eight; they hid it under my bed while I was sleeping. I found it the next day and pretty much wet myself with excitement. Maybe it's just an eight-year-old thing. I think a box with a pick is a cute idea!

• Members

Is this a model of guitar that she's shown an interest in or are you just hoping that she likes whatever you get her?

Be careful, because that can backfire catastrophically. I did just that with a couple of jewelry purchases for my wife that have never gotten worn. OTOH when she spells out what she wants she's happy - though for me it kind of ruins the whole point of giving a gift in the first place.

IMO it's best to surprise them with a gift certificate or the like. That way there's no sting of rejection and they can choose what they want.

For example, on my 40th birthday my wife (who works at our bank's headquarters) gave me a checkbook. Written on it was "Neil's Guitar Fund" and inside was a deposit slip for enough money to buy a decent guitar right away, or enough for a down payment on something nicer. I still haven't spent it because I have something more expensive on my mind and don't want to settle for something that's in my price range if I already have a couple of guitars to occupy my attention.