TommyT5

• Members

Possible? yes. Good idea? I don't think so. Looks like it would put additional stress on the top part of that bridge. It would also considerably reduce the string's break angle over the saddle. That probably doesn't make much difference on an electric, but it's pretty important on an acoustic.

My un-educated $0.02.

Nice looking guitar.

• Members

Nice guitar!

If I'm reading you correctly, you're thinking about putting the ball end on the saddle side of the bridge and running it back, out, up and over the back of the bridge.

I'd be concerned about the string uploading (or lifting) and splitting the bridge at the string holes (like that poor guys Ovation last week.)

If you still wanted to try it, I'd recommend doing just the B and/or D strings to see if it made any difference. Maybe think about putting a strip of thin, tough tape on the bridge to keep from marring it up.

Happy experimenting!

• Members

Hi all! I really don't post here usually but I couldn't resist this thread. There have been all kinds of "theories" about about wrapping the tailpiece on Stop Bar TOMs for ages now. I've been playing electric guitar since 1960 and my experience with this goes way back. In the 60's Gibson Melody Makers were very popular student guitars. They were equipped with wrap around bridges. Many players moved up to LP's with stop bar tailpieces and simply because they looked similar some of them wrapped the tailpiece because that was "how they always did it". It had nothing to do with tone or sustain or playability. It had everything to do with old habits dying hard. I know this because I did it too until I knew better. :wave:

• Members

If you are talking about a normal rosewood/ebony/etc bridge glued to a guitar top, I don't think that joint will hold up to the stress.

In a normal steel sting guitar with a pinned bridge, the ball ends of the strings are pulling up against the bridge plate, which is on the underside of the top. The strings are trying to pull the bridge plate through the top of the guitar, which they just can't.

With a pinless bridge, all the tension of the strings would be put on the glue joint of bridge+top.

Classical guitars use pinless bridges all day long, but the string tension is much less than on a steel string git.

Yes, I know that Breedlove and others make pinless steel string bridges. I don't know how that works. I suspect aliens are involved.

-A

• Members

But WHY do people do that? Just to be special?

There are a few pictures in Dan Erlewine's book on guitar repair that show the bridge on a Les Paul that has broken and collapsed after years of tension from the strings. When the strings come out of the tailpiece, not wrapped around they go directly over the bridge. This is ok. In order to get the best sustain a lot of guys would screw the tailpiece all the way down. If you do that and the strings are straight wrapped, the strings will make contact on the corner of the bridge and then go up and over the bridge correctly. That pressure causes bridges to crack and the break angle is like 30 degrees, I'm guessing, but it is high. If you wrapped around the tailpiece you can screw it all the way down, the strings only make contact where they are supposed to, and you get a break angle of about 5 degrees. The low break angle allows for less tension at tune and eases bending, etc.

• Members

Hi all! I really don't post here usually but I couldn't resist this thread. There have been all kinds of "theories" about about wrapping the tailpiece on Stop Bar TOMs for ages now. I've been playing electric guitar since 1960 and my experience with this goes way back. In the 60's Gibson Melody Makers were very popular student guitars. They were equipped with wrap around bridges. Many players moved up to LP's with stop bar tailpieces and simply because they looked similar some of them wrapped the tailpiece because that was "how they always did it". It had nothing to do with tone or sustain or playability. It had everything to do with old habits dying hard. I know this because I did it too until I knew better.
:wave:

Dan Erlewine believes differently. So do I.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

IMO, I do this for 2 reasons only...I use .011s and by top wrapping the action feels a little lighter with the heavier strings and it also helps in eliminating string breakage. I cant say that sound or sustain is a huge difference, I've heard many sate that they get improved harmonics. Lastly, a few great names that come to mind that *do* top wrap are Joe Bonamassa and Billy Gibbons.

• Members

Good observations in/re electrics, but I'd have to say "No" on the acoustic. Unless, like JD Drafter's Dad's guitars, the bridge is specifically designed for it, thread 'em through the back, as intended. Minimzes down pressure on the saddle, but the most compelling reason is: Why risk screwing up a really nice guitar?

• Members

I started doing that on my electric the other day. It makes the higher gages strings feel more slinky in my opinion, but it could just be a placebo effect. :confused: I like it though wouldn't suggest it on that bridge, looks like the strings would eventually dig through the bridge and over time damage it badly.