I want to record a charity album for mental health research/awareness

VladM

• Members

I've been battling mental illness since it came on in high school and one of my goals has been to record an album where a large portion of the proceeds goes towards mental health charities/organizations. I was wondering if anyone has ever done something like this or if anyone can give me tips on how to do this. This is a long term project, as I don't even have the proper recording gear yet.

• Moderators

I suggest contacting your local mental health services organizations and see about possible sponsorship/promotional potential. Keep in mind that even if the work is pro bono, you still need to secure the licenses for any copyrighted materials you plan to record.

• Members

I suggest contacting your local mental health services organizations and see about possible sponsorship/promotional potential. Keep in mind that even if the work is
pro bono
, you still need to secure the licenses for any copyrighted materials you plan to record.

Well the songs are all my own so I won't need a license because I own them. I'm thinking I will record at home then once I have a finished product I can contact agencies/organizations, etc.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Well the songs are all my own so I won't need a license because I own them. I'm thinking I will record at home then once I have a finished product I can contact agencies/organizations, etc.

I'd suggest the other way 'round...contact them first, there might be some special accounting and possibly some legal issue that they might be familiar with esp since you mention "a large portion of" not ALL the proceeds.

Make sure your motives are clear and pure too - that you aren't just trying to ride the charity aspect for your own ends. That's not a question you have to answer here, that's just something you might want to ask yourself in the privacy of your own headspace

• Members

I've been battling mental illness since it came on in high school and one of my goals has been to record an album where a large portion of the proceeds goes towards mental health charities/organizations. I was wondering if anyone has ever done something like this or if anyone can give me tips on how to do this. This is a long term project, as I don't even have the proper recording gear yet.

VladM. This is one of the best posts I have ever read in my life. You are a {censored}ing hilarious cat. IF A) if you really do have a mental illness - if you are being earnest, if this is an actual goal of your life - that's beautiful. It's sublime and heartwarming. but B) If you are just trolling around, the concise and hilarious combination of choices and buttons you are pushing here... it's genius. It's symmetrical. It's infallible in a way that bearing witness to it is a reward in itself. Cosmic. Either way you are carrying the fire in all the right ways. Love it love it love it! Whoever wrote that post has what it takes to make up good songs either way. Good songs come from being earnestly odd and from being shrewdly deceptive. Either approach can be powerfully effective. Love it.

Archived