VOM 20 -- Virtual Open Mic @ HCAG, Second Sunday, September 13, 2009

Stackabones

• Members

My entry for this month is a cover of "That lonesome song" by Jamey Johnson. Man, I love that guy's songwriting.

Very cool BHH. Had to jump ahead and listen when I saw that shell pink Tele. That is a fine song--and you have the perfect growly voice for it. Well played sir. Enjoyed the "quintet" as backdrop too!

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Hey everyone,

I really do look forward to these sessions! What a nice group of people, and some really inspired playing and singing!

I'm working my way through the archives between sessions. I'm going backwards in time which is kind of a neat way to view things.

Thanks, for letting me play along, and thanks for all the comments!

Well, here are my comments so far. I hope everyone is having a great Sunday!

Tbryson

• Members

This is a song that I wrote when I was about 19 (a loooooooooong time ago). I could never quite come up with a good guitar rhythm or melody for it though. Over the past few months I was messing around with it and came up with this. It still needs a bridge, so I just threw a little rhythm part in the middle.

The song is about an insecure phase that I was going through (at the time). I had come out of a bad relationship and was seeing another girl. When she told me she loved me, I started thinking that she just thought she loved me and it would turn out bad like my last relationship.

I don't have a name for it yet, but I think I'm gonna name it... "Insecurity"

Hope you like it...

I did, very much. In particular the full bassy tone of the guitar and the way your vocal fit that perfectly. Very good recording and I even like the lighting in your shot--fits the mood of the song. The rhythm you found is really cool, and I think it's fantastic that you resurrected a song from years back. As for it needing a bridge, I dunno. Nothing wrong with bridges, but I could "hear" a solo during your middle part...so now all you need to do is clone yourself so you can solo over your rhythm! So...we all have to wonder...what became of this girl?

• Members
I did, very much. In particular the full bassy tone of the guitar and the way your vocal fit that perfectly. Very good recording and I even like the lighting in your shot--fits the mood of the song. The rhythm you found is really cool, and I think it's fantastic that you resurrected a song from years back. As for it needing a bridge, I dunno. Nothing wrong with bridges, but I could "hear" a solo during your middle part...so now all you need to do is clone yourself so you can solo over your rhythm! So...we all have to wonder...what became of this girl?

Thank you very much.

As far as the girl... We went together for a few years and got along quite well, but we kinda just went our separate ways. It was a mutual break up...:)

• Members

It's another excellent VOM so far. I want to thank everyone who commented on my entry. Here's what I have so far:

Chriscarnucci: What a nice tribute to what sounds like a bunch of great folks.

Tbryson: Excellent rendition of a great Beatles song.

Roguegnome: Nice fingerpicking version of that song.

Garthman: Good take on that Rolling Stones song.

Recordingtrack1: First time hearing that song, what a great tune. Your guitar playing is fantastic.

Gthom: Nice jazzy sound there. I should learn a few songs like that. Except for my stone fingers.

Stackabones: And it's to our benefit that you're not afraid to sing. Another gem.

Brian Wahl: Beautiful strings, good guitar playing and great vocals. What more could you ask for.

Melodeous: That guitar sounds great. Or maybe it's the amp or the effects? Whatever it is, I like it.

Fatback: What a good sound you've got there. And your technical issues fit right in with the type of music you're playing.

Frets99: A fine looking guitar there. And a beautiful song.

Gil: What a spirited version of that song. If you were inebriated, maybe I should have a bit of whatever you were drinking.

Riovine: What guitar playing! I could listen to that all day. Maybe I will.

Hypocollector/Stackabones: I loved your song. It's amazing the places where inspiration will come from.

Sangemon: I laughed, I cried. Your song is a excellent reflection of the times.

Peter Schaafsma: I love your fingerpicking on your song. Good selection.

Bobc: I don't think insecurity is only for the young, it's an excellent song.

Black Hat Hunter: A couple of great entries. I really like how that electric sounds.

• Members

Wow - brilliant guitar and what a voice. What do you use to record with? I'm listening to this one again right now.

Phil

I use an Beta 58 for vocals, an SM 57 for the guitar. The Beta 58 goes into a TC Helicon Voicetone Correct Pedal (I don't use the correction, but their adaptive EQ and compression are great). The SM 57 goes into an Audio Buddy preamp, then an RNC compressor. The effects are from an Alesis Nanoverb. All of this goes into an old Tascam 424MKii 4-track cassette recorder.

I could certainly use some upgrades, but couldn't we all?

• Members

As mentioned earlier September is a special month for me. I do dedicate it to the music of Steve Goodman. He passed on the 20th of September back in '84leaving a mountain of songs for me to teach myself. Every September, I promie to teach myself one or two of his songs. I am putting all the good parts together, but not in this Vom version. Not enough time for me and not really in VOM1T spirit.....so here's what I did get done.
Struggled with it a bit....not an easy song to sing in Goodman's style while playing.......so I had a decision to make....Play it as close as I could to the original or just make my own version out of it so I get it all together for VOM...So I took out the hard lead parts and condensed it into a sing-able version for me....still one take, with plenty of mistakes....

H4...Penco, standard tuning, no capo, DAddario Phosphor Bronze custom lights .011-.052 (Ej26)
http://c70man.xanga.com/audio/a3f593680822/

• Members

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=8091419

No surprises- radiohead

I recorded this after being out in the rain for 9 hours at work.. so I'm pretty beat, but I wanted to keep with the tradition.

I will be doing a blues finger picked original next month. It's getting close, and I am really excited about it.

I will give you all a listed once I wake up .. really looking forward to it.

• Members

Well, I got some time to throw something together.

This is a new, to me, recording setup, interface and application and this is the first attempt at a recording with it.

What I decided to do is a song that's been in my repertoire for a long time,John Prine's Blue Umbrella and to do it in a key I've never done the song in before and a different adaptation as well.

I really dropped the ball at the last but this is, after all, VOM1T, so it is what it is.

Here's Blue Umbrella.

• Members

Well, by my clock it's almost closing time ... but you know what? If it's still Second Sunday where you live, keep posting. Even it's a bit past Second Sunday and Monday Morning is blinking its bright eyes in your face ...

post 'em if you got 'em!

The mic is still on if you need it ...

• Members

Good morning all! I'm a little tardy as my PC killed itself Friday night. I did record something last week though. It's a VOM2T (perhaps that's why I'm being punished). Gonna have a busy day at work today, but I'll bring my laptop home tonight and catch up. Looking forward to everyone's goodies!

[YOUTUBE]gxDk1jVNKN0[/YOUTUBE]

Mark Knopfler's Last Laugh. His solo's so pretty I had to take a stab at it.

That was tres cool, 99. That's a sweet little song, and intriguing--would like to know the back-story on the lyrics of that one. Your new Tak sounds (and looks) fabulous. Don't know what you record audio with, but vocals and guit were really clear and full-sounding.

Oh yeah. There's over 30 years of stories compressed into a few lyrics there. Never mind just the never ending push pull of relationships. But I've often found myself fascinated by the internal push pull within. It's hard to say where her feelings start and mine end but I can say that it's strange to feel all at once a needed caregiver and yet someone who stifles freedom or who simply needs to be held at arms length, all the while thinking that what I really want to be is just a friend and lover. There's this flowing back and forth that rarely leaves you both as "equals" in a relationship but more as people filling different roles in each others lives.

And I guess that's why we write songs. :)

I'm just using a Canon FS100 digi video cam that has a pretty darn good condenser mic built in.

Thanks to everyone who enjoyed it!

I was out yesterday, but I'll be listening to you guys all week! :thu:

• Members

Here we go.....

Chriscarnucci.....simply a very nice job.

Tbryson.....Beatles...never easy to do. A brave performance. The vocals improve as you go along......nice job.

RogueGnome...on of my favs. You're version only needs a tuck or two here and there....sounding good.

Garthman...Nice version...hadn't listened to that song in ages...a great job.

Recordingtrack1....very nice job, you're voice is perfect for that song, and you're flat pickin is right on target.

Gthom...love all that Basanova/Gilberto stuff. Your bass line and rythm was dead on.....nice job

Michael Martin....another great entry...good job

Fussenkuh...WOW, quite the production there. Great sound too, a very nice job...ps.......what software did you use?

Stakabones...love that song Stack...I heard something "new" from your voice as well...sounds great.

Brianwahl....very polished as usual...pan back a little...wanted to see a little more of that beautiful guitar too...good job

Melodeous...Very nice recording. Your Goodall sounds beautiful. I might cut have back a hair on that chorus and let some more of those notes shine through.

Fatback...Volume issues for me? A little tip...try playing that song along with a metronome....help your tempo a bit......good job.

Busby99....I grew up listening to that song....great to rediscover some of the wonderful I've forgotten about......nice job.

Fretts99....Tak sounding good. Cool lyrics....now just get your voice in shape and you'll have something there...just joking...nice job.

G6120......I love hearing this "New" side of you. If I was blind testing that song, I wouldn't have recognized it as yours. A really good song for you.

Riovine...Lovely arrangement, well played. I may have slowed it down to savor some of those wonderful notes.

hypocollector......its always fun to mix in some stuff.....good job.

Sangamon...Totally Politically Incorrect. That said, there's something I like about it.......nice job.

Pschaffs...Paxton has a special place in my music collection. Surely one of the "troopers" who has broken all the rules...nice song, nice job.

BobC....So much going on there....loved it........a little America, a little Folgelberg, a little Dave Mathews...watching and listening to your song was like trying out a new good wine...lots to savor...excellent job.

BHHunter.....I'm not a big country fan, but your voice and playing certainly nailed that genre...a very good job....Love that tele.

Starrshine...you made me feel like I was in your kitchen, game room, whatever, watching and listening to you enjoying your music. I could even taste that cold beer going down......nice job

TSMusic...I was waiting for that toned down song as well......but a very nice contribution for a lost friend.

Okieslims...Your tiredness fit the song perfectly...nice job.

Daklander...Prine, what can I say...an all time fav of mine...you captured some of that great grit in his voice...I wish I had some....one of my favorite Vom entries to date......great job.

Shamuspizbutt....finger picking that guitar wasn't something I would think of ...you made it sound great...it definitely worked...good job.

• Members

Wow, as usual, it looks like another successful VOM. Unfortunately, I was away from my computer most of yesterday and am being sent on travel sans network connection for the next several days. So, I haven't and won't have an opportunity to check out everyone's submissions for a bit. But, I guess that just means I'll have some good listening to look forward to this weekend :D

I'd like to say thanks to everyone who checked out my tune this month and a special thanks to everyone who left me some kind words either in this thread or on my YouTube page. As always, it's much appreciated!

Fussenkuh...WOW, quite the production there. Great sound too, a very nice job...ps.......
what software did you use?

I'm currently just hacking away at the capabilities inherent in Windows Movie Maker. I basically hacked away at the XML config file for one of WMM's standard "video transitions" so, instead of transitioning from one video clip to the next, it simply leave the 1st video clip open in a small picture-in-picture style window.

I wish I could find a nicer means of doing picture-in-picture. I'm sure there are packages out there that give you many easier to use options that produce cleaner looking results. But, this method at least give me a basic PiP capability with no money leaving my pocket ;)

If you're interested in the details, I can dig up the website that gave me the idea... there's apparently a whole lot you can do with Movie Maker if you have a little bit of XML/programming knowledge and patience.

Archived